JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just picked up a new 18" AR and am looking for a scope to throw on it. I've been looking at Vortex, Nikon, Burris and Leupold. I'd like some first hand experiences with some of the models. I'm looking at scopes from these brands that are 1-2x to 7-8x or so. Also, I'd prefer a 40mm objective or smaller. Does anyone have suggestions?

Oh, and something less than $600

Thank you

I just got a Nikon P-223 Roughly $200 and for the money has really clear glass and seems value loaded. I also run several of the Bushnell AR series. I have a couple of the 3 x 12 guys and a 4.5x 18 Not quite as nice as the Nikon but less dough. I have moved away from more expensive scopes in the last 10 years or so. I used to buy nothing but Leupold optics but for what I do it just got to be silly. In all honestly I have been very happy with the Bushnell stuff and really think the Nikon will impress me long term.

Another vote for the Vortex Viper. Only I'd say up the budget and get a Viper PST. If you're not wanting FFP, you can get one $600 new. Only downside is it'll have an objective bigger than 40mm, unless you go with one of the 1-4x24 ones.

The Spitfire 3x is also pretty good for the money if you're okay with a fixed magnification.

Another vote for the Vortex Viper. Only I'd say up the budget and get a Viper PST. If you're not wanting FFP, you can get one $600 new. Only downside is it'll have an objective bigger than 40mm, unless you go with one of the 1-4x24 ones.

The Spitfire 3x is also pretty good for the money if you're okay with a fixed magnification.

Yea I would prefer 2nd FP. Price jumps a bit for FFP and for what I'm going it's not a big benefit. Looks like people like the vortex. I've just never had any experience with them. So I have to get familiar with their lineup. What about the Strike Eagle?

Yea I would prefer 2nd FP. Price jumps a bit for FFP and for what I'm going it's not a big benefit. Looks like people like the vortex. I've just never had any experience with them. So I have to get familiar with their lineup. What about the Strike Eagle?

They're decent for the money. People also put it on a .308 if that says anything. Though ideally you want the best scope you can afford.

True. I don't want to go cheap. I just saw that model and it has the features I want. But I'm a firm believer in the "buy once, cry once" theory.

By features I meant it has very low power up to about 6-8x. Small objective. And illumination.

I'm mainly a red dot guy other than one old hunting rifle I have that has a scope. So I'm just trying to compare all my options.

By features I meant it has very low power up to about 6-8x. Small objective. And illumination.

I'm mainly a red dot guy other than one old hunting rifle I have that has a scope. So I'm just trying to compare all my options.

If you want a 1-6 then that's probably your best bet under $600. Vortex has a no BS warranty anyways.

I have 4 different ones in my Amazon cart right now that I like.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44
Leupold VX-R 2-7x33
Nikon M-223 1.5-6x24

Just trying to compare because they range from $329-$570. And then I still need a mount. But I just like hearing people's suggestions about their experiences with stuff they've got.

Vortex does have the Viper PST but only in a 1-4x. If they had just a little more magnification I'd probably just bite the bullet on that one.

Glass>Magnification. I was at the range with my Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12 (FFP) spotting shots for someone else. They had a 3-9 scope and had to go up to 9 to see the holes at 50 yards. I was on the 3 and saw the holes easily.

Gotcha...

Well, with scopes, I'm a Leupold guy, though I do have a Burris on my Model 700. That being the case, any of the brands you mentioned are top notch, but I would be looking at the Mark AR series from Leupold, if it were me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top