JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The attitude towards firearms in schools is ridiculous. I graduated highschool in 2012 and was sent to the principles office and told to remove my black sweatshirt with a Browning logo on it because it "promoted firearms in the school". What? They told me this and I was dumb founded. All it had was brownings buckmark logo.

The attitude towards firearms in schools is ridiculous. I graduated highschool in 2012 and was sent to the principles office and told to remove my black sweatshirt with a Browning logo on it because it "promoted firearms in the school". What? They told me this and I was dumb founded. All it had was brownings buckmark logo.

Agreed! I know it all too well. My step-mom (who has been my mom longer than my real mom and I love her like she was my own) is a retired teacher and SUPER liberal. I was helping them fix up the backyard recently and we somehow started talking about HC. First thing she says is "Let me guess, you don't like her because she's a woman?" I was blown out, as she's been my "mom" for 30 years and she knows me better than that!

So the next weekend I brought the RPR over to their house and used my laser boresighter while laying prone to the far wall of their living room. They have a pretty long open space, more so than me. The old man was just sitting in his wheelchair grinning ear to ear. :D

I think the ONLY reason she isn't completely against guns is because her husband and "son" are responsible gun owners and she knows it.

1985: Spent .45 shells are the hit of my kindergarten show-n-tell.
1997: Shop teacher and I are talking iron, he tells me if I want to do an AR lower as a shop project, as long as I don't assemble it on school property he'll help me find forging and blueprints. (I miss that guy... the libs drove him out Junior year and replaced him with a spineless jellyfish dork and a sniveling assremora.)
2007: Just MENTIONING the F- or G-words = Persona Non Grata because some maladapted pseudoadult p*ssed and pooped its frilly pink panties.

I gave my son my copy of Shooter's Bible.
He took it to school Monday.
I received a call today (while out hunting). "There was an incident at school involving your son." I'm thinking, he put up another sign supporting Trump, or made a political comment to one of his teachers.
Nope, a fellow student thought it was funny that he was reading through the book, videoed it and put it on Instagram.
They "stood him down" yesterday to determine if he was "safe."
I vaguely remember, when I gave the book to him, I said, "don't bring it to school. Better yet, bring it to school to challenge their thinking."
So I talk to the principal today, and comment to the effect, 'I don't think he did anything that was wrong other than be insensitive to people's fear and sensitivity of guns."
The principal comments to me: "I understand he has access to guns at your house." Like it was some bad thing.
I replied, "absolutely - I've taught him how to handle guns safely, and shoot them. He and I are both ardent 2nd Amendment supporters."
"Is there any chance he could bring one of your guns to school?"
"not at all. There would have to be multiple levels of transgressions for that to happen. He can only use guns under my direct supervision."
"Do you think he has any tendency of violence towards others with firearms?"
"Not at all. While the Sandy Hook perpetrator showed definite mental instability and antisocial behavior, I watch my son assiduously, and if there were any indication he was not stable, he would get no where near a firearm.
The take away for me here is how anti-gun our educational system is. I hafta noodle this one - it seems to me, indoctrination to firearms and safety education would be way better than instilling fear and shame around them.
I called my son to ask him, WTH? and at the end of the conversation, he says, "you're going to take me to hunter ed, right?" :) Now gotta find a class.

The problem with teaching gun safety is there wouldn't be as many victims of gun violence, which might put a crimp in gun-banners plans to eviscerate the
2nd amendment

The other kid videoed it because he thought it was cool. Someone saw and complained (what I gather from the conversation). My son received an "in house" suspension, kept from going to classes while they determined his "safety". In his words, "not like it mattered, I have all A's anyway. They just gave me a controlled vacation."
That reminds me to follow up and make sure nothing is noted in his file.

I like my attorney, he loves me (~$15K in the last three years) He's a good guy who hunts and shoots too. I'll mention it to him, but I expect his advice will be "ignore it." In my experience, fighting the system is costly and time consuming. My boy definitely is not a snowflake, so I don't worry about that.
I was the kind of kid in school that if the school had a "no gun" policy, I'd have brought in a cheap, plastic Luger squirt gun. They contemplated kicking me out at least 2x.
I would definitely have your lawyer do a little poking and prodding. You don't want this going down in your kid's school records as a disciplinary action. That has implications going forward. I'd be all about finding out what the final written disposition by the school is, and correcting it if it's derogatory. I'd also be inclined to generate a letter of dissatisfaction with the principal and the school.

We had an issue with one of my sons when he was in the 1st grade. He and the teacher did not see eye to eye on anything. At the start of 2nd grade he was scheduled to have the same teacher again, even though we had verbally asked that he have a different teacher that year. The school principal (female) put on her best bureaucratic smirk and said, "Well, if you had put that request in writing at the end of the year we would have acted on it. We can't do anything if it's not in writing."

I said "OK, you'll have something in writing tomorrow." I went home and wrote a detailed, formal letter of complaint, describing each and every little conflict my son and the teacher had had over the former school year, and her unreasonable and retaliatory responses. When I hand delivered it to the principal, her face fell and her smirk disappeared as she read it. She said, "You realize this will go into the teacher's permanent personnel file." I said, "Of course I do. It's what you requested. Now, can we move my kid to a different class, in view of this letter? If not, I'll be contacting my lawyer." He got moved.

Agreed! I know it all too well. My step-mom (who has been my mom longer than my real mom and I love her like she was my own) is a retired teacher and SUPER liberal. I was helping them fix up the backyard recently and we somehow started talking about HC. First thing she says is "Let me guess, you don't like her because she's a woman?" I was blown out, as she's been my "mom" for 30 years and she knows me better than that!

So the next weekend I brought the RPR over to their house and used my laser boresighter while laying prone to the far wall of their living room. They have a pretty long open space, more so than me. The old man was just sitting in his wheelchair grinning ear to ear. :D

I think the ONLY reason she isn't completely against guns is because her husband and "son" are responsible gun owners and she knows it.
D'ya think she feels safer, too?

Well I for one feel much safer walking the streets knowing those pieces of you know what are out there being pitiful and am sure we all do. When my step daughter was 5 she had taken a plastic toy fingernail file to school. My wife was called to come get her from the school. Picking on a little girl for that is pathetic. Fortunately she likes firearms just fine as an adult and is a good shot. It makes me furious the crap the public schools are doing.

what about the kid posting to instagram during school? why the F is he on his phone?

school was a joke for me with the exception of shop class and math. ive learned more in the real world than any amount of school could have taught me.

they kicked me out before SR yr started. (they told me i had been expelled due to something i did and thats all i'll say about that) i said nah, look at my credits... i'll take my diploma please :D

graduated with a 3.4 GPA

Last Edited:
circa 1957: Jr Hi School, assembly for entire boys population of the school, something around 4-500 squirrely suspicious kids not yet adapted to 'school assembly' programs.....so guy gets up & starts talking, I couldn't really hear him....but in short order he got everybody's attention.

In any event, it was one of the greatest, as some club brought genuine AIR rifles and indoor target/backstop catcher devices.

Almost all the boys got a few shots. Don't know where the girls were, maybe learning about 'mother-daughter teas' or something.

I was talking with a family friend their kid was telling us that if they finish class work early that they can spend the rest of class time on their phone "youtube" or whatever, this is 8th grade !
just like the Portland schools allowing their students to leave school so they could participate in the protesting,
it really is unbelievable but it's a reality of todays far left school system, I hope other states are not like the west coast school system

It's where the schools are.
My daughter wore this all through high school in Mollalla. Even the teachers liked it.

give-peace-a-chance-i-ll-cover-you-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

I was kicked out of private school in S. Calif. in the 6th grade for multiple classroom shootings... of my mouth. Apparently it is a dangerous weapon!! :rolleyes::D:D

Ooh, the OP is on some sorta list now for sure. Once the gun haters have assimilated enough of society he and his will be prime candidates for re-education. Or if "safe storage" ever becomes the law of the land may be this little incident will warrant a visit.

Ooh, the OP is on some sorta list now for sure. Once the gun haters have assimilated enough of society he and his will be prime candidates for re-education. Or if "safe storage" ever becomes the law of the land may be this little incident will warrant a visit.
"Re-Education"? I would suspect most of us here are already on a Purge List...

As a teacher who shoots , hunts and collects firearms , I would like to say that not all teachers are anti gun.

Granted I understand that I am in the minority , but a lot of the school's attitude towards guns may depend on where the school is located at.
At our school , which is in a rural area, we have a trap-shooting club and team and few teachers hunt , again we are in the minority , I get that.
I just ask that we don't lump all teachers in the anti gun camp.

It would have been nice if a teacher or admin staff took the time to talk to the OP's son to see just what he was reading about and why...Then , since the OP's son was doing no harm , move along and go about the day.
No need to call parents , give a suspension or even make a big deal out of reading a book.
( I mean the kid was reading a book , for Pete's sake , I'd be happy just seeing that :D )

I'd also be more interested in talking to the student who "thought it was funny" and filmed the "event"... You know the one who sounded like he bullied the OP's son and violated his son's privacy.
Andy

1984 Gerheart OR
My social studies class studying old west. My grandfather brought in his Winchester for show and tell. Class got a lineup to personally molest the rifle afterwards. you didn't even have to take it to the office. Walked right in
And everyone was happy

Damn this world has tried changing us good luck

Wow, it's gotten that bad huh? You can't even read a book now? Contact the ACLU and tell them your son's First Amendment rights to read whatever he wants are being infringed.. It sounds like you did a great job of handling that dork of a Principal.

When I was in high school (early 1990's) guys would bring rifles to school all the time. Sometimes they even went hunting at lunch and came back with freshly killed deer in the beds of their trucks. The teachers would actually go outside to admire the kill. It was absolutely not a big deal. And, I went to a very nice high school in suburban South Salem. We had a few country boys, but we were by no means "country" (more like "country club").

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews