JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I gave my son my copy of Shooter's Bible.
He took it to school Monday.
I received a call today (while out hunting). "There was an incident at school involving your son." I'm thinking, he put up another sign supporting Trump, or made a political comment to one of his teachers.
Nope, a fellow student thought it was funny that he was reading through the book, videoed it and put it on Instagram.
They "stood him down" yesterday to determine if he was "safe."
I vaguely remember, when I gave the book to him, I said, "don't bring it to school. Better yet, bring it to school to challenge their thinking."
So I talk to the principal today, and comment to the effect, 'I don't think he did anything that was wrong other than be insensitive to people's fear and sensitivity of guns."
The principal comments to me: "I understand he has access to guns at your house." Like it was some bad thing.
I replied, "absolutely - I've taught him how to handle guns safely, and shoot them. He and I are both ardent 2nd Amendment supporters."
"Is there any chance he could bring one of your guns to school?"
"not at all. There would have to be multiple levels of transgressions for that to happen. He can only use guns under my direct supervision."
"Do you think he has any tendency of violence towards others with firearms?"
"Not at all. While the Sandy Hook perpetrator showed definite mental instability and antisocial behavior, I watch my son assiduously, and if there were any indication he was not stable, he would get no where near a firearm.
The take away for me here is how anti-gun our educational system is. I hafta noodle this one - it seems to me, indoctrination to firearms and safety education would be way better than instilling fear and shame around them.
I called my son to ask him, WTH? and at the end of the conversation, he says, "you're going to take me to hunter ed, right?" :) Now gotta find a class.

Another snowflake melts at the word "gun". Would woulda thunk it?

Reminds me, my dad used to give me his copy of the SB when he finished it too. I would pour over it for hours dreaming of what firearms I would like to own and shoot. Back in my days, in wood shop (what's that?) I made an exact size replica of an Uzi and attached a clothespin on the back where the sights would be. Yup, rubber band gun. Got an A BTW.

And where did the specs come from? Yup! Shooter's Bible! :)

I received a call today (while out hunting). "There was an incident at school involving your son." I'm thinking, he put up another sign supporting Trump, or made a political comment to one of his teachers.
Nope, a fellow student thought it was funny that he was reading through the book, videoed it and put it on Instagram.
I vaguely remember, when I gave the book to him, I said, "don't bring it to school. Better yet, bring it to school to challenge their thinking."
So I talk to the principal today, and comment to the effect, 'I don't think he did anything that was wrong other than be insensitive to people's fear and sensitivity of guns."
The principal comments to me: "I understand he has access to guns at your house." Like it was some bad thing.
I replied, "absolutely - I've taught him how to handle guns safely, and shoot them. He and I are both ardent 2nd Amendment supporters."
"not at all. There would have to be multiple levels of transgressions for that to happen. He can only use guns under my direct supervision."
"Not at all. While the Sandy Hook perpetrator showed definite mental instability and antisocial behavior, I watch my son assiduously, and if there were any indication he was not stable, he would get no where near a firearm.
The take away for me here is how anti-gun our educational system is. I hafta noodle this one - it seems to me, indoctrination to firearms and safety education would be way better than instilling fear and shame around them.
I called my son to ask him, WTH? and at the end of the conversation, he says, "you're going to take me to hunter ed, right?" :) Now gotta find a class.
I think the principal in question is insensitive to your insensitivity. :rolleyes:

I was deprived!!! I had to wait for Dad to pass away before I got to inherit his Gun Digests and other firearms books. Dad would have run g my neck had I taken one of his precious books to school when I was a kid.

Of course at 12-14 we were running amok around the neighborhood shooting anything that looking like a varmit Squirrels Nutria some stuff we shouldn't have. But dads books NO WAY

Schools have become a joke , I see it every day with my kid in middle school, almost like the school wants to be the parent while pushing liberal agendas,
I hate what the schools are pushing, they know they can't change us but maybe able to change our kids by years of school teaching them liberal ways,
Make no mistake they document things just like doctors, I give advise to my boy to respond to personal or family questions from schools or doctors with very basic general answers, no details and no we have no guns just because they listen and twist things around

Possible future actions ...

You may have several choices. Do you have a personal lawyer? Might be a good time to spend $50 to $100 bucks, (depends upon the lawyer) and have him write up a short very nasty professional letter of complaint from you against the school principal.

Read it over carefully. The lawyer can help you. You intent is to legally slam dunk that principal with a nasty bad presentation that will go into his personal file as an employed school official for the rest of his career. Send copies to the school board and cops.

THEN be prepared to go to the next public school board meeting and give them your three to five minutes of your mind regarding the ANTI CONSTITUTIONAL attitude of that school principal. Use the first amendment to protect the second amendment. Be polite.

Follow through with your justified moral outrage. Also FWIW ... consider a good covert vid recorder next time you talk face to face with ANY public official. They will and do lie through their teeth if they cross the line. They know this. You know this. Record it all.

Respectfully.

Reminds me, my dad used to give me his copy of the SB when he finished it too. I would pour over it for hours dreaming of what firearms I would like to own and shoot. Back in my days, in wood shop (what's that?) I made an exact size replica of an Uzi and attached a clothespin on the back where the sights would be. Yup, rubber band gun. Got an A BTW.

Imagine if that were to be done today? You'd most likely be expelled and forced into a psychotherapy evaluation...

Sickens me how liberals are systematically destroying 'Merica... Or should I say have systematically destroyed 'Merica...

If I were to make a wager on this, I would bet that you have not heard the last of this.

It may be prudent to start shopping for a lawyer, just in case. I have a friend who went through something similar to this up in a Seattle area school a few years ago. It escalated into a pizzing match between him and the school district. His poor son was put through a big guilt trip, courtesy of the teacher, principal, and wackov school administrators.

My shop teacher was a former Army colonel. He was a competition pistol shooter with a 1911. He was also the sponsor of the high school rifle competition team, which I was on. He taught me the finer points of shooting a pistol. He would have been proud of your model Uzi.

Old Coot Reflection ...

Time for a little bit of time travel. Back to about 1955 or so. I would have been in about the 6th grade. As in-class school projects boys made a wood rough replica flint lock rifle. Girls made a rough looking but turning wool spinning wheel. It may have functioned.

The wood replica Kentucky Rifle looking kids toys were painted up. Just screwed and nailed together. A wood dowel for a barrel. A fake 1 inch deep muzzle. Filed and sanded pine stock. The flint lock mechanism was made of soup can strips. Looked cool. A toy.

A fond memory was the class against class skirmish line shooting battle we 6th graders had between classes. Much teacher monitoring. Lots of laughs. The Principal was the General. That much I do distinctly remember. A short school "battle".

Can we imagine such the likes today? We had many school projects. Made cheese. Made soap. Make clay fired pots and coffee cups. Made a hot air balloon. The girls also made small spinning wheels. The boys made a Kentucky rifle toy. A blast from the past.

Wow. Douglas MacArthur elementary school. Lakewood California. Long Beach Unified School District. Long ago. Far away. :)

I remember one time I brought a toy gun, it was a toy 1911. Slide didn't move, had orange cap, and there was no exit or anything and did not look real...

Get sent home. Being an Asian kid at the time, FROM KOREA (as in I was still new to the culture and stuff), I didn't realize I'd get in trouble for bringing in a toy gun. But no excuses I guess.

I could almost sort of, somewhat, maybe a little, understand the fuss over a toy (and only .000001% of me actually believes that), but a BOOK? What's he gonna do, give em a paper cut?

honestly I thought this was a good example of setting a positive image and example of being a responsible gun owner, especially in todays world. Thank you.

its also an example of how the media and anti-gun politicians have demonized guns and gun ownership, not surprised by the principals response and not certain I can fault him considering the fear-mongering propaganda, unless he's already a rabid anti himself the questions are not out of line in todays world. The Shooters Bible is nothing usable for someone with nefarious intentions.

the only different response I would have said here would be to add (to yours) that the issue doesn't have anything to do with firearms, they are not the catalyst to violence. Then I would have asked the principal what exactly are the symptoms of tendency's towards violence and if anyone has noticed them in your son then ask him why hes wasting my time when he says no...

Bummer.
Actually sounds like the other kid was "bullying" your son. The other kid should get suspended or expelled.
Works both ways...
The other kid videoed it because he thought it was cool. Someone saw and complained (what I gather from the conversation). My son received an "in house" suspension, kept from going to classes while they determined his "safety". In his words, "not like it mattered, I have all A's anyway. They just gave me a controlled vacation."
That reminds me to follow up and make sure nothing is noted in his file.

Possible future actions ...
You may have several choices. Do you have a personal lawyer? Might be a good time to spend $50 to $100 bucks, (depends upon the lawyer) and have him write up a short very nasty professional letter of complaint from you against the school principal.
Read it over carefully. The lawyer can help you. You intent is to legally slam dunk that principal with a nasty bad presentation that will go into his personal file as an employed school official for the rest of his career. Send copies to the school board and cops.
THEN be prepared to go to the next public school board meeting and give them your three to five minutes of your mind regarding the ANTI CONSTITUTIONAL attitude of that school principal. Use the first amendment to protect the second amendment. Be polite.
Follow through with your justified moral outrage. Also FWIW ... consider a good covert vid recorder next time you talk face to face with ANY public official. They will and do lie through their teeth if they cross the line. They know this. You know this. Record it all.
Respectfully.
I like my attorney, he loves me (~$15K in the last three years) He's a good guy who hunts and shoots too. I'll mention it to him, but I expect his advice will be "ignore it." In my experience, fighting the system is costly and time consuming. My boy definitely is not a snowflake, so I don't worry about that.
I was the kind of kid in school that if the school had a "no gun" policy, I'd have brought in a cheap, plastic Luger squirt gun. They contemplated kicking me out at least 2x.

Imagine if that were to be done today? You'd most likely be expelled and forced into a psychotherapy evaluation...

Sickens me how liberals are systematically destroying 'Merica... Or should I say have systematically destroyed 'Merica...

The left has weaponized the school, legal and health institutions in this country. Say East Germany , circa 1965. About the only thing left to see, is how much your neighbors will be willing to turn you into the "Stasi".

...Then I would have asked the principal what exactly are the symptoms of tendency's towards violence and if anyone has noticed them in your son then ask him why hes wasting my time when he says no...
Excellent point, and thank you for your kind words. I really wanted to ask, "what, are you fubbleguming kidding me?!!"

My shop teacher was a former Army colonel. He was a competition pistol shooter with a 1911. He was also the sponsor of the high school rifle competition team, which I was on. He taught me the finer points of shooting a pistol. He would have been proud of your model Uzi.

It was mostly oak, except for the dowel used as the barrel. I cut a horizontal notch in the dowel to hang onto the rubber band. Oh yeah, the clothespin wasn't oak either. But It was sanded, and I routered lines in the receiver. The only thing I couldn't do was paint it black, so a nice dark oak stain and lacquer clear coat did the trick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top