JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 7.5 AR pistol and I do carry it in the car when going on trips. If I drive over the mountain with the family for a weekend or if going camping it's in the car loaded.
And Thankfully completely legal .

There's not many real world senarios when you will be engaged from that range.

There are not that many more scenarios where you really need an AR in pistol configuration, loaded, in a vehicle, and readily available for a gunfight faster than a rifle (bullpup or not) could be loaded and ready to go.

Most of the time, if I am going to be carrying a firearm in a vehicle, a Glock or SIG or other handgun would be quite sufficient for 90+% of the likely self-defense scenarios I would encounter, and would be more readily available and deployable than either an AR "pistol" or a bullpup. Also, I would be much more able to carry it concealed on my person at all times than I would be an AR pistol or a bullpup anything.

Anything beyond a conventional handgun (not an AR/AK pistol) would most likely not be on my person at all times, would be stored somewhere hidden unless I am out in the boonies (even then probably hidden) and therefore not that much more "available" than any rifle.

I would dare say that is the case for most people, and therefore would question the utility of an AR/AK pistol based on the advantage of carrying it loaded and/or concealed carry legality. If I had an AR/AK pistol in a vehicle, the most likely scenario where I would deploy it for self-defense would not be while moving, but rather while stopped, in which case the situations where it would be as available as a handgun would be limited to those places where there would not be very many people around to defend against, in which case I would not be as likely to need it anyway.

The main scenarios where I could see a realistic advantage to an AR/AK pistol would be either a SHTF situation where there was still some semblance of ROL - which would be an exceptional use case.

There are not that many more scenarios where you really need an AR in pistol configuration, loaded, in a vehicle, and readily available for a gunfight faster than a rifle (bullpup or not) could be loaded and ready to go.

Most of the time, if I am going to be carrying a firearm in a vehicle, a Glock or SIG or other handgun would be quite sufficient for 90+% of the likely self-defense scenarios I would encounter, and would be more readily available and deployable than either an AR "pistol" or a bullpup. Also, I would be much more able to carry it concealed on my person at all times than I would be an AR pistol or a bullpup anything.

Anything beyond a conventional handgun (not an AR/AK pistol) would most likely not be on my person at all times, would be stored somewhere hidden unless I am out in the boonies (even then probably hidden) and therefore not that much more "available" than any rifle.

I would dare say that is the case for most people, and therefore would question the utility of an AR/AK pistol based on the advantage of carrying it loaded and/or concealed carry legality. If I had an AR/AK pistol in a vehicle, the most likely scenario where I would deploy it for self-defense would not be while moving, but rather while stopped, in which case the situations where it would be as available as a handgun would be limited to those places where there would not be very many people around to defend against, in which case I would not be as likely to need it anyway.

The main scenarios where I could see a realistic advantage to an AR/AK pistol would be either a SHTF situation where there was still some semblance of ROL - which would be an exceptional use case.
I get the impression that more and more folks are concerned with the escalating civil unrest and don't want to be caught with an angry, violent mob between them and home. This is a situation where an AR pistol might be a very appropriate too.

The only trips I usually take are from Vancouver to Bend. When I make that trip it's almost always at night. Leaving Vancouver around 6-7pm so the kids can sleep in the car.
And I guess I'm over thinking it as well, but I like having an AR pistol behind my seat.

You never know what you'll get driving over the mountain at night.

Gosh darn sasquatch might jump out at me.

The only trips I usually take are from Vancouver to Bend. When I make that trip it's almost always at night. Leaving Vancouver around 6-7pm so the kids can sleep in the car.
And I guess I'm over thinking it as well, but I like having an AR pistol behind my seat.

You never know what you'll get driving over the mountain at night.

Gosh darn sasquatch might jump out at me.
For sasquatch I think you want 30 cal minimum, right? ;)

I think a good summary to this topic is:

We are all fortunate that we have the ability to choose what we carry and our reasons or reasonings behind that choice are ultimately our own to make.

IMG_6405.JPG Hey guys... thanks for all the comments. After taking all of your input, I decided to keep the mk18 upper, and this past weekend, I bought a spikes lower and built a pistol. I threw a geissele two stage trigger in it which was a first for me. I haven't fired it yet, but that trigger sure feels sweet..... thanks for all the input. Y'all rock

Hey guys,

Wanted to get some opinions. I have a brand new DD MK18 10.3" upper that's been sitting in the safe for 5 months. My thought was to build a pistol setup and file for the SBR; however, I'm thinking a bull pup setup like a tavor would be less of a ATF wait hassle which still gives the feel of a SBR while maintaing 16" ballistics. I don't have any experience with the tavor or any bull pups, but find them interesting. Are there any thoughts, experience or input that would sway me to sell the upper and go the tavor route or stay on course with the pistol setup while i wait for the sbr???

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top