JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which optic for all round SBR build

• ACOG TA02

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Eotech EXPS3-2

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Brown Combat Optic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elcan 1/4x

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
low power variable all the way, a good lit reticle on a forgiving eye box.......shoot with the front lens cap shut both eyes open and its as good as any red dot .Firedot's are the best for simulating a red dot but they all work with the lens cap shut, with the lense cap shut day light bright reticle does not really matter and "true 1x" does not matter . I voted Elcan but I would take a nice Leupold firedot first

I like my EOTech 556, but I really like my 1-6x24 FFP ACSS Raptor. fantastic eye relief @ 1x and is like a red dot/prism sight at that point, and when zoomed it gives a BDC reticle with wind holds and movement holds, and instant ranging like certain ACOGs.

Reticle when zoomed:
View attachment 543457

There's also the 1-8x24 ACSS Raptor M2 with HD glass, better zoom, and a bit more data on the reticle. that one's in the acog territory for pricing. The other scope you can buy 3-4 of them for the price of 1 ACOG.

I have EoTech-552s on both my SBRs. For me, and my eyes, I have a better time acquiring the reticle compared with the the Aimpoints mentioned by others. Just different I suppose.
I have a 1.5-5 Leupold on one of my 16" barreled guns, and a ACOG/Docter combo on the other.

Different tools for different things. I'd vote for Eotech for your application. (again, that's with my 49 year old eyes).

No thank you
L-3's EOTech to pay gov't $25.6 million in fraud case
EOTech Holographic Weapon Sights Class Action Settlement

well aware they had bad thermal drift in extreme temps. Bought mine before that lawsuit or announcement. But I haven't had any issues with mine since I don't use it in sub zero temps cause I don't feel like going outside and shooting when it's that frikken cold outside. hard pass on that. So that "flaw" isn't an issue for me or for most of us that don't live in areas that get extreme temps.

btw all optics will get thermal drift in extreme temps like that. no material is immune to expanding and contracting in extreme temps.

Though EOTech did get off zero by quite a ways on some of those units where others like trijicon can stay within 3MOA throughout the extreme temp changes.

low power variable all the way, a good lit reticle on a forgiving eye box.......shoot with the front lens cap shut both eyes open and its as good as any red dot .Firedot's are the best for simulating a red dot but they all work with the lens cap shut, with the lense cap shut day light bright reticle does not really matter and "true 1x" does not matter . I voted Elcan but I would take a nice Leupold firedot first

I have a StrikeEagle II and I hate it. But may be that is the exception not the norm with LPVO's. I have heard good things about the Stiener P4Xi

well aware they had bad thermal drift in extreme temps. Bought mine before that lawsuit or announcement. But I haven't had any issues with mine since I don't use it in sub zero temps cause I don't feel like going outside and shooting when it's that frikken cold outside. hard pass on that. So that "flaw" isn't an issue for me or for most of us that don't live in areas that get extreme temps.

btw all optics will get thermal drift in extreme temps like that. no material is immune to expanding and contracting in extreme temps.

Though EOTech did get off zero by quite a ways on some of those units where others like trijicon can stay within 3MOA throughout the extreme temp changes.

It could be a beautiful, clear sky 78 degree day out, that is not going to help an Eotech mounted on an Ultimak equipped AK. I've had mine hot enough brand flesh and the AP Micro keeps rocking on target. Just as an AP is submersible to 25 meters, I'm not going swimming with my AR let alone going down 80 feet, what that tells me though is how tough that sight is.

The thermal drift on Eotechs was definitely a flaw, that is one issue, that fact that they tried to hide it is a completely different matter. I don't throw dollars, let alone big dollars at businesses that pull that sort of crap.

if you like the eotech dot, get an eotech. Not a whole lot of need for BDC dots in an SBR though. I would just get a 512 for cheap and call it a day.

The batteries in mine last about a year, good enough for me. Plus, I have more AAs lying around than CR123 or whatever else the alternatives take.

if you like the eotech dot, get an eotech. Not a whole lot of need for BDC dots in an SBR though. I would just get a 512 for cheap and call it a day.

The batteries in mine last about a year, good enough for me. Plus, I have more AAs lying around than CR123 or whatever else the alternatives take.

The AP Micros use common CR2032 calculator batteries and get 50,000 hours (5 years) of use being constantly on at setting 8. I never turn mine off and replace the battery ever Feb 29th whether it needs it or not. Toss on KAC battery cap and have a spare on hand at all times.

The AP Micros use common CR2032 calculator batteries and get 50,000 hours (5 years) of use being constantly on at setting 8. I never turn mine off and replace the battery ever Feb 29th whether it needs it or not. Toss on KAC battery cap and have a spare on hand at all times.

I know the life is good, but I dont leave my sight on when its in a safe, so I still get at least a year out of it. Pretty much my only deciding factor at eotech/aimpoint/trijicon quality levels is reticle choice. I'll go with a 1 moa dot and true holographic projection over lasers everytime. I just love the sight picture, especially when magnified.

3 power acog. A little slower for inside 25 yards than aimpoint, but worth it overall for me. No batteries. No electronics. Perfect eye relief for pistol brace. I had a 4 power acog, but the eye relief was too difficult for anything less than 50 yards. 3 power is far superior in eye relief. I'm not a professional. Those folks would have more valuable input. Jmo.

I'm not saying that any of those are bad scopes. After owning or using all of those in my experience there are better options for the same or less money.
The only one that I wasn't a fan of at all was the acog 4x eye relief really sucks. In my opinion the 3.5x are a way better acogs and more usable.
The eye relief does suck, but the 4x has the best field of view. Not as wide as my 4x scope but still pretty wide.
It could be a beautiful, clear sky 78 degree day out, that is not going to help an Eotech mounted on an Ultimak equipped AK. I've had mine hot enough brand flesh and the AP Micro keeps rocking on target. Just as an AP is submersible to 25 meters, I'm not going swimming with my AR let alone going down 80 feet, what that tells me though is how tough that sight is.

The thermal drift on Eotechs was definitely a flaw, that is one issue, that fact that they tried to hide it is a completely different matter. I don't throw dollars, let alone big dollars at businesses that pull that sort of crap.
Who would want the eotech that far forward on an ultimak anyways? Aimpoint micro is definitely a much better fit for the ultimak as far as weight and balance goes.

The question if going with an Acog is what reticle?

There are son many. Lol.

I prefer an eotech without the magnifier But if you want to go the acog route I have one for sale with a BDC for close to long range and a rmr mounted at a 45degree angle both on an American defense QD Mounts It's a great set up.

C151F571-602C-4D0A-8BAE-315FEBE3B04B.jpeg

Have been bouncing around a few optics in my mind for a new SBR build. Being:
1. ACOG TA02 w/rmr
2. Eotech EXPS3-2 w/magnifier
3. Browe Combat Optic
4. Elcan 1/4x

Any options from those here that have tried some of these? I'm mostly looking for personal experience with the Elcans, I've owned an Eotech 512 and handled a number of Acogs over time but input still appreciated.
My first choice for a SBR would be the Eotech with the ACOG being second. If you wanted to mount a dot sight up forward on the forearm you could put it at a 45 degree angle and it would not be in the way. That might be nice for close work. The SBR is usually only effective out to 300 yards or so, so you don't need much magnification.

My Eotech screen delaminated. That plus battery life was a no go for me even though I loved the reticle and how it looked to my eyes. I then moved to Aimpoint and have 2 currently. Battery life is fantastic and the dot is good enough for my eyes. If for home defense it could look like a giant cluster and still be effective. I've since replaced the Aimpoint on my home defense pistol with an primary arms acss Trijicon ta44 1.5 power. So far I love this thing and it's my second acog. Works just like a red Dot with ranging of human size targets and drops. It's my second acog. No batteries to worry about at all and actually helps me eyes

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top