JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You or I would have been flushed down the toilet

"LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. -- A suburban Portland pastor who won an AR-15 rifle in a raffle and then said he gave it to a gun-owning friend for safekeeping will not be prosecuted for transferring the weapon without conducting a background check, authorities said.

Officials were investigating whether Rev. Jeremy Lucas may have violated a recent state law that makes transferring a gun without a background check illegal, even if the arrangement is between private parties and no money changes hands.

But investigators uncovered no evidence that Lucas, 45, actually transferred the gun and never determined the name of the gun-owning friend, Clackamas County District Attorney John S. Foote said in a letter to the Oregon State Police.

The letter was written on Sept. 9 and made public Thursday by state police.

Lucas didn't speak with investigators, state police said in a statement.

"Without the transferee in this case, I don't think we could ever have a prosecutable case," Foote wrote.

Lucas, a pastor at Christ Church Episcopal Parish in the affluent suburb of Lake Oswego about 10 miles south of Portland, said in interviews this summer that he spent about $3,000 in discretionary church funds to buy as many rifle raffle tickets as he could for a softball league fundraiser.

When he won, he passed a background check to take possession of the weapon.

He told The Washington Post in July that after he won the rifle, he gave it to a friend for temporary safe-keeping.

But a state law passed last year makes transferring a gun without a background check illegal, even if the arrangement is between private parties and no money changes hands. ..."
So true brother so true

Lucas, a pastor at Christ Church Episcopal Parish in the affluent suburb of Lake Oswego about 10 miles south of Portland, said in interviews this summer that he spent about $3,000 in discretionary church funds to buy as many rifle raffle tickets as he could for a softball league fundraiser.

I remember at the time thinking just how ridiculous this idea was. He stated at the time that his purpose was to make sure he "won" it, in order to destroy it and get it "off the streets". This is a perfect example of feeling, but not thinking. There's absolutely no logic in it at all. He could go around to every gun shop in town, buying up all the ARs he could find, and run them through a shredder. The gun shops would make a profit. The distributor would make a profit. The manufacturer would make a profit, then they would use that profit to make a bunch more and sell them too. The net practical result of his actions would be MORE guns "on the street".

You try to point out this absurd backwards logic, and people just say, "Well, he was just making a point..." o_O No, he was just looking for attention, to impress all his "woke" friends.

Well no, as a matter of fact these laws didn't help. This is why we need more, and even more gun control, until we find the right combination of laws that WILL make a difference, and keep us safe.

The-Nanny-State.jpg

Lucas didn't speak with investigators, state police said in a statement.

"Without the transferee in this case, I don't think we could ever have a prosecutable case," Foote wrote.

LOL.... Rrrrright…….

Lawyer-Up.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

"We the undersigned are professionals and community leaders from across the UK who call on Government to see the sale of pointed domestic kitchen knives as a thing of the past," reads the not-a-parody open letter from the Diocese of Rochester, signed by church leaders, lawmakers, psychiatrists, academics, and the like."

"Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle," insisted Scott Mann. "It's time we had a national database like we do with guns."

After all, U.K. Judge Nic Madge used his retirement speech last year to call for blunting cooking paraphernalia. "Kitchens contain lethal knives which are potential murder weapons and only butchers and fishmongers need eight or 10 inch kitchen knives with points," he said.

This should be taken as a warning to Americans suffering from badgering fatigue and tempted to surrender in hopes that the busybodies will just, finally, shut up. There doesn't seem to be an end—just an extension of the same tactics to new targets when the human situation inevitably proves impervious to perfection through the application of legislation.

F5033043-96C2-4964-AC3B-50CF058A4D97.jpeg

Seems to me we're on the same track as the Europeans - just a bit behind them.

Even they haven't quite reached that magical level of authoritarian control that will remove the blood-lust from men's minds.
Exceptionally well-said.
So, how hard did they sweat this guy? Obviously not enough...
This should be taken as a warning to Americans suffering from badgering fatigue and tempted to surrender in hopes that the busybodies will just, finally, shut up.
That will never happen.
I think the current younger generation(s) will eventually come around as most intelligent humans do. Gun control was always an esoteric and somewhat niche-y subject... until "They" decided to take it mainstream and push it to the forefront. TBH, I was never involved in gun rights or really even aware of the struggle until my early 20s and I had a "mentor", of sorts.. a Marine buddy who was involved. I think with this type of rights infringement now being done out in the open and so GD LOUDLY that the Milennials and younger Gen Xers will tumble to it and reject it as they mature and learn more about the insidious nature of government overreach... it may be a circuitous route, but I think (HOPE) they'll get there and LOUDLY reject it.
Seems to me we're on the same track as the Europeans - just a bit behind them.
No 2A in Europe (or any other country) and that makes a huge difference. It seems, at times, that we are fighting a losing battle but in the end we have that glorious document known as The Constitution and ensconced within is the Bill of Rights. Even Joe "Noone Needs An AR14" Biden acknowledged it when he went to smack-up Kamela Harris in a debate.
We have that, nobody else does. It's maligned, impugned, and threatened.. but it's still there and that puts us well ahead of every other country in the world.

"multiple layers of government bueracracy and idiocy are preventing two grownass men from participating in a simple act of private commerce"

Correction. It's the two grownass men's own brains preventing this.

"It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head."
-- Sally Kempton

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."
-- Steve Biko

There is this thing called "civil disobedience"...

"And that's it. 20 years now of post data to analyze, there isn't a drop of evidence it's done anything."

Oh, it's done something all right. It's made gun owners kiss the ring of power - which was exactly what it was designed to do.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top