JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The "lock up your guns or else" Bill hasn't been getting much attention.
I feel many of you here are all for it.

I feel this Bill is worse than the UBC Bill myself and opens a lot of Doors to eventual Govt. permission to conduct search and seizure raids on gun owners. A gateway Bill IMO.

Anybody for this Bill, and if not are you including it in your letters to our Senators?

THIS ONE IS GOING TO QUIETLY SNEAK BY WITHOUT A PROBLEM I FEEL.

Good question. I've seen it mentioned, including by several Senators I've written concerning SB 941. But I think you're right, they very well could be setting up SB 945 to slide into place relatively easily. Though many people's contacts have stated they are against ANY new bill infringing on our gun rights. Probably a very good idea to specifically call out SB 945 in all communication as well.

Its a stupid useless law, I have a safe I dont need mommy government telling me how to keep my property "safe".

It is a gateway bill to inspect your home. Imagine you have a child, and it tells its doctors or teachers that constantly probe if you have a gun now your house is looked over by CPS.

Or if a police officer comes to your home for any reason and sees you have ammo sitting on the table, now he is poking around and your a criminal.

On my doctors forms it always asks if there is a gun in the home I say no every time.

it is a slap to the face and insult to our intelligence. I wonder if these people realize we have guns and ammo, because you can only poke a bear so many times before he eats you.

Which is why I have been screaming to start a recall effort against the bill's petitioner Elizabeth Steiner Hayward of Senate District 17. Come on, it is right next to District 15 where we already have a recall of Democrat Chuck Riley organized.

525 is another.
Is that the guilty till proven innocent gun confiscation Bill? Restraining Order doesn't need proof right?

Senate Bill 525
Relating to possession of firearms by certain persons.
Prohibits possession of firearm or ammunition by person who is subject to restraining order issued by court under Family Abuse Prevention Act or who has been convicted of certain misdemeanor crimes involving domestic violence.

Is that the guilty till proven innocent gun confiscation Bill? Restraining Order doesn't need proof right?

Senate Bill 525
Relating to possession of firearms by certain persons.
Prohibits possession of firearm or ammunition by person who is subject to restraining order issued by court under Family Abuse Prevention Act or who has been convicted of certain misdemeanor crimes involving domestic violence.
Thats the one.

From OFF:

Next Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee will be hearing Senator Hayward's bill to force you to lock up your guns. This is SB 945. As you may know, Senator Hayward is a doctor. A very brief search found a staggering number of people killed by doctors every year and equally frightening stats on people who OD on prescription drugs.

I think we would all be a lot safer if Senator Hayward was required to be locked in a safe.

The main thing that stands out to me in 945 is the potential for self-incriminating by reporting stolen guns if they happen to be stolen by a minor as it may be very hard to determine whether they were "properly" locked up.

Also, I think it seeks to create a ridiculous circumstance of a victimless crimes since it adds the requirement of parental permission for the temporary possession of a firearm by a minor for target shooting or hunting. These could be high school or college age people. I spent not a small part of my youth out in the woods target shooting and while I could argue till I was blue in the face that it was "my gun" and my folks didn't care as long as I didn't get hurt, I wouldn't be able to prove I had "permission" until someone asked. I hadn't asked permission in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...etc years.

I think it in many cases it would fabricate liability the moment someone raises the issue to the parents which seems like nothing more than tattling. I'm left wondering in all of these instances why create punishments for previously, responsible, lawful behavior that hurt no one? It's already illegal for kids to dick around with firearms unless they're engaged in an activity.

Did my part to voice my opposition to my reps:

"SB945 would make it illegal to possess an unlocked firearm in the presence of a minor—even though it's on one's own property. All this is going to do is put even more burden on responsible gun-owners who take the time to know the laws and who take firearms safety dead-seriously and, God forbid, get a few people stepped on by the justice system for doing nothing wrong. What's more is that it's a blatant infringement on property rights, and there's enough of that already."

As you may know, Senator Hayward is a doctor. A very brief search found a staggering number of people killed by doctors every year and equally frightening stats on people who OD on prescription drugs.

I think we would all be a lot safer if Senator Hayward was required to be locked in a safe.
Senator Hayward also suffers from debilitating depression and has publicly stated she is unable to function without her medication.

She also says she is a "responsible gun owner" "with children in the home"

In her world, she is the poster child for people who should not have access to firearms.

email from Senator Kim Thatcher please email or write the committee..

Senator Kim Thatcher

Senate District 13

9da020d0-e548-4b74-adc4-cb7b3ab718e8.jpg

Legislative Alert

April 14, 2015

(503) 986-1713

Correction: Fixed Email Link for Testimony on Senate Bill 945

Salem, OR - The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing and work session on Senate Bill 945 on April 16th. The legislation will create the crime of endangering a minor by allowing access to a firearm. The crime is punishable by a Class A Misdemeanor and individuals convicted under the law will be prohibited from owning a firearm.

Under the bill, an individual will be liable if he or she meets three criteria: the individual possess an operable firearm on premises under his or her control, the firearm is in a location where the person knows or reasonably should know that a minor could gain access to the firearm, and a minor obtains the firearm without permission from the person or the minor's parents or legal guardians. Individuals are not liable if they keep the firearm in a locked container or use a gun lock.

The public hearing and work session are scheduled for Thursday, April 16th at 8:00am in Hearing Room 343. You can find more information on the bill here. If you would like to submit testimony please email it to [email protected].

Simply put SB945 will not stand !

Heller vs District of Columbia

The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment.
The total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of arms that
Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. This prohibition would fail constitutional muster under any standard of scrutiny. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is therefore unconstitutional.

Supreme court already decided this one.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR