JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To avoid confusion, the CHL school ban died. It was a product of Burdick, with the support of Courtney, and while Prozanski voted for it, it was not "his bill". (His bill was the dead-in-his-own-committee reciprocity bill, and the from-the-house privacy bill was brought to the floor by him.) The CHL school ban will NOT be going to the governor, as it did not pass.

The separate (there is a thread for it somewhere,) CHL privacy bill passed with enough numbers in both the House and Senate to override a Governor veto - although Kitzhaber hasn't said one way or another what he would do. (I imagine he'll sign it - it would be a pointless statement to veto it.)

Here's some of the CHL Privacy bill threads (you can find more if you search for
HB 4045 or Thatcher):
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/81500-house-bill-4045-chl-privacy-passed-but.html
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/81421-%93not-so-fast-floyd-%94.html
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ge.../79986-hb-4045-one-we-want-update-update.html

What a relief that these went the way they did, but with so many liberals Dems in office you can rest assured we will see these issues again, unfortunately! It's a never ending battle to keep our firearms and confidentiality...ours!

P.S. Anyone who had their State Senator vote for the school ban should write their state senator with the following link: <broken link removed>

It tracks *EVERY* fatality in a school, and *EVERY* firearm discharge in a school, from 1999-2010 (so far, I suppose they'll add 2010-2011 at some point,) and while I haven't had a chance to go through every year with a fine-toothed comb, I have yet to find a SINGLE instance of "carried legally without malice, caused harm to another" in their records.

Obviously, someone who is coming to school to cause harm will do so, laws be damned. Also obviously, accidents involving someone who was carrying illegally already (such as high-school students) won't be solved by this type of law.

To avoid confusion, the CHL school ban died. It was a product of Burdick, with the support of Courtney, and while Prozanski voted for it, it was not "his bill". (His bill was the dead-in-his-own-committee reciprocity bill, and the from-the-house privacy bill was brought to the floor by him.) The CHL school ban will NOT be going to the governor, as it did not pass.

The separate (there is a thread for it somewhere,) CHL privacy bill passed with enough numbers in both the House and Senate to override a Governor veto - although Kitzhaber hasn't said one way or another what he would do. (I imagine he'll sign it - it would be a pointless statement to veto it.)

Good point. That will teach me to stay up past my bedtime.

Kitzhaber is a former emergency medicine physician. In my opinion, treating gunshot victims gives them a very distorted and unbalanced view of the entire spectrum of firearm use in the US. Unless they are gun enthusiasts themselves, they see firearms only as things that harm people. Don't be surprised by a veto.

Good point. He did refuse to even consider an increase in the speed limit, citing ER doc experience. Although this is purely a "privacy" issue, with enough votes to override the veto, so it should be safe. Now if the CHL school ban had instead been a "allow CHL to carry in schools because current law says they can't", and it had PASSED by one vote, I could see him vetoing that for sure.

Remind us again which party those three belong to. :p

Kitzhaber is a former emergency medicine physician. In my opinion, treating gunshot victims gives them a very distorted and unbalanced view of the entire spectrum of firearm use in the US. Unless they are gun enthusiasts themselves, they see firearms only as things that harm people. Don't be surprised by a veto.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt he the one who signed Oregon's "shall issue" permit system into law?

I seem to recall him getting a "B-" rating from the NRA at one point....not perfect by any means but certainly not a Burdick-style rabid anti-gunner either.

Oregon went "shall-issue" in 1989. Neil Goldschmidt was governor.

wwlpw1.jpg

I stand corrected!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews