JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just purchased a really nice savage 99 308 lever action from the forum. It's in great condition but needs a good strip and clean. Hasnt been shot in a long time. Any suggestions on where to take it or anyone here that knows the savage 99 models well to strip the rotary mag and clean everything. I really want to see someone do it to teach me to do it from here on out. Everything I read online says the rotary mag will be a bear if you never done one before. The brass counter is dirty and hard to view the round count. I will be shooting it this weekend at the clean up event.

Thanks NWFA.

Grant.

Couldn't you clean the ammo counter numbers with some brass polish and a wooden stick q-tip while it's rotating with the lever action.

So what your saying is after I pull out all my hair :s0054: I'll end up on your door step with zip lock bags of parts and a tear running down my cheek
:s0104:
When I took my Rossi 92 down to polish it up a little,my friend asks 'what if you can't get it back together?' I said 'then I take it to someone who can';)
No biggies as long as you don't break stuff

I would never bugger anything up on my guns, I cringe when I watch "as you guys say" kitchen table gunsmith monkeys on YouTube use the wrong freakin size screwdriver. Come on , how hard is it to pick up the right size flat blade screwdriver to take out a bloody screw!!!!!!
Those internal rotating counting parts are scarce, so think about trying to find some replacements before you bugger them up.

I tore a Savage 300 down as far as the video I posted, the ammo counter was the last step. When I took the rifle apart, it was obvious it hadn't been cleaned correctly since it left the manufacturer. I could not for the life of me figure out how to remove it without potentially damaging it. At that point I cleaned it all up, lubricated it, and back together it went. If I had a hot tank, I'd have soaked the whole works.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top