JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just purchased a really nice savage 99 308 lever action from the forum. It's in great condition but needs a good strip and clean. Hasnt been shot in a long time. Any suggestions on where to take it or anyone here that knows the savage 99 models well to strip the rotary mag and clean everything. I really want to see someone do it to teach me to do it from here on out. Everything I read online says the rotary mag will be a bear if you never done one before. The brass counter is dirty and hard to view the round count. I will be shooting it this weekend at the clean up event.

Thanks NWFA.

Grant.

Couldn't you clean the ammo counter numbers with some brass polish and a wooden stick q-tip while it's rotating with the lever action.

So what your saying is after I pull out all my hair :s0054: I'll end up on your door step with zip lock bags of parts and a tear running down my cheek
:s0104:
When I took my Rossi 92 down to polish it up a little,my friend asks 'what if you can't get it back together?' I said 'then I take it to someone who can';)
No biggies as long as you don't break stuff

I would never bugger anything up on my guns, I cringe when I watch "as you guys say" kitchen table gunsmith monkeys on YouTube use the wrong freakin size screwdriver. Come on , how hard is it to pick up the right size flat blade screwdriver to take out a bloody screw!!!!!!
Those internal rotating counting parts are scarce, so think about trying to find some replacements before you bugger them up.

I tore a Savage 300 down as far as the video I posted, the ammo counter was the last step. When I took the rifle apart, it was obvious it hadn't been cleaned correctly since it left the manufacturer. I could not for the life of me figure out how to remove it without potentially damaging it. At that point I cleaned it all up, lubricated it, and back together it went. If I had a hot tank, I'd have soaked the whole works.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top