JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for opinions/thoughts on stabilization methods for target shooting. I have always just used this type of sandbags and wondering if either tripod or bipod might be more stable or not (have not used them for guns, only cameras). Don't want to lug around a lead sled (and don't want to buy I guess also). Primary use would be 22, 223, 6.5 creedmoor.

Bipod is self explanatory/not complicated but re tripod (or table) mounts I have these 3 possibilities to attach to rifle due to already having camera tripod stuff and the rifle clamp thingy. Have light to extremely heavy surveying tripods. Have a mid weight tripod that can fold almost flat so can rest on table (instead of on the ground) also.

1) Rifle clamp (arca-Swiss type) attachment attached to a either a) tripod directly, b) or a ball head, c)or a gimbal.

Rifle clamp
C23C74EB-F7D7-447F-98D4-62C30BD8A366.jpeg
Ball head
ABC1A78C-83DC-479C-9ACA-DC633D823824.jpeg
Gimbal
43599E0A-5B98-4A1D-A109-8DB0C063A791.jpeg
Surveying tripod
81107FF8-5AE9-4697-9857-B1F1535CA6DD.jpeg
Mid weight tripod as it would sit on table.
797A3DFE-71E7-4457-955D-81CA9E3285F4.jpeg

2) arca Swiss plate attached directly to rifle then attached to tripod using any of the methods in #1 above (ie no rifle clamp used)

3) gimbal or ball head attached directly to table. Plastic table so even with metal plates on top and below there may be some flex? Also table itself could move a bite even if leaning over it/putting weight on it. Have just the common folding table I use like this.
42B235D9-166B-4647-997B-C287F7F18F6D.jpeg
Would love to hear any thoughts re sandbags vs bipod vs any of the above tripod/table mount possibilities. If any of the tripod methods are worth while l, what might be the best?

Thx for any options, thoughts, ideas.

Cheers!

Arca Swiss directly to a high quality tripod with a good quality rear bag is going to be your sturdiest in most situations but that tripod is cumbersome and height might be troublesome off a table/bench. Next would be a high quality bipod with good rear bag. Either of these setups with proper technique will be more stable than the table you have pictured, in other words the table will be your stability limitation.

I have a rifle clamp and after taking a long range class will be getting rid of it in favor of better alternatives like arca swiss or a plate with bag on top of the tripod.

For a rear bag, spend the money and get an Armageddon Gear pint-sized game changer waxed canvas with sand fill. After having gotten the chance to use one, I now know what all the hype is about.

I am not sure what style or type of shooting you are trying to do but most of this gear I associate with long range shooting. If that is your goal then I highly recommend not buying anything and taking a class. The class I took from Sidewinder Concepts would have saved me thousands of dollars in mispent gear that I would have allocated that spend differently on. The class gave me a chance to test out a vast array of different gear and figure out what works for me and what doesn't.

Arca Swiss directly to a high quality tripod with a good quality rear bag is going to be your sturdiest in most situations but that tripod is cumbersome and height might be troublesome off a table/bench. Next would be a high quality bipod with good rear bag. Either of these setups with proper technique will be more stable than the table you have pictured, in other words the table will be your stability limitation.

I have a rifle clamp and after taking a long range class will be getting rid of it in favor of better alternatives like arca swiss or a plate with bag on top of the tripod.

For a rear bag, spend the money and get an Armageddon Gear pint-sized game changer waxed canvas with sand fill. After having gotten the chance to use one, I now know what all the hype is about.

I am not sure what style or type of shooting you are trying to do but most of this gear I associate with long range shooting. If that is your goal then I highly recommend not buying anything and taking a class. The class I took from Sidewinder Concepts would have saved me thousands of dollars in mispent gear that I would have allocated that spend differently on. The class gave me a chance to test out a vast array of different gear and figure out what works for me and what doesn't.
Excellent info thx. That's exactly the type of opinions I'm looking for. I'm used to lugging around the survey tripod with shoulder strap so it's not bad and I think u are right about the table. I have lots of various arca Swiss plates (they r very inexpensive) and they are pretty easy to mount to rifle.

I'm up for a class for sure if it's reasonably local and a quality/knowledgeable instructor. Plz let me know if you know any long range instructors (but I'm not willing to travel far unfortunately so that may limit it).

I don't mind going to a truly knowledgeable instructor but I guess I'm skeptical about how many of those exist vs poeple that are simply. "instructors/trainers". It sounds like you found one of the truly knowledgeable ones.

Quality of instructor is kind of critical for me to spend the $ and time. One example is Rob Leatham. I watch his videos and honestly he is the only one that understands the same things I do re slow fire, aiming, instinctive aim, etc, etc but he goes light years beyond that about how we respond to recoil and how to manage it etc, etc. For me it is like most handgun instructors are on level 2-3 on a scale from 1-10 and for me Leatham is on level 10. Maybe it's because he shares the same philosophy I do but he also has best in the world knowledge and a gazillion hours of practice and trying/tweaking techniques behind him.

Check out Sidewinder Concepts on Instagram. He is who I took intro to long range course from and I would recommend it highly. He is active duty on his way out and is/was (not sure exactly when he is getting out) an instructor at the Army's sniper school. His ability to teach was awesome and the price I paid for the course will save me many times that in future gear purchases.

Check out Sidewinder Concepts on Instagram. He is who I took intro to long range course from and I would recommend it highly. He is active duty on his way out and is/was (not sure exactly when he is getting out) an instructor at the Army's sniper school. His ability to teach was awesome and the price I paid for the course will save me many times that in future gear purchases.
Cool thx! I found his Instagram page but I'm not on Instagram. I'll try to find a schedule or more info. on his classes. I can probably email one of the ranges he held classes at in the past and see if they have a schedule for his training. Sounds like he did one in Spokane according to one YouTube video I just watched.

Cool thx! I found his Instagram page but I'm not on Instagram. I'll try to find a schedule or more info. on his classes. I can probably email one of the ranges he held classes at in the past and see if they have a schedule for his training. Sounds like he did one in Spokane according to one YouTube video I just watched.
The class I took was in the Cresent, Oregon area so central Oregon. Pretty sure he has instructed in classes from AZ to WA though.

The table really dictates the usefulness of any choice selected. Of the ones you offered for consideration, I would say the mid weight tripod should be removed from consideration altogether.

I have a Bog tripod that's ok, a bit jittery though without some stabilization like a sling around the leg or a bag in the rear.
A ball head and Arca clamp would be much more stable, no rubber pivot bushings to keep still.
About $550 for something not too heavy and able to hold a 15 lb rifle.

I picked up a shooting mat on sale at Midway for $40, straps in the front to load the bipod is handy.
Bag at the rear makes a stable platform.

I'm a big fan of bags because of surface area contact with the stock and it can conform to imperfect surfaces. Depending on how a rifle balances, it can hang out in the bag level, hugged nicely in a pocket.

Here's a great product that I liked so much I bought another one, the Caldwell Precision Turret.
Prices as low as $75 but might not get that low with today's inflation. I think my last one was $120.

I used this varmint hunting and it holds ARs, 10/22s, and Bolt guns with ease. The paddle is for the AR pistol grip and has a thumb wheel for making small adjustments. At the range these are real handy for holding the rifle steady while you adjust your scope turrets. You can usually get zeroed right away.

If your rifle has a very heavy target barrel, you can find a balance point so it isn't too barrel heavy. The AR paddle is removable.
I use rare earth magnets to hold an allen key on the frame and make adjustments or customizations on the fly.

There are some very nice standing tripods for long range shooting but I find this turret meets my needs.

Amazon, Ebay, Midway all carry this.

image.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews