JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Going to Salmonberry for the first time? If you don't have GPS, keep track of your turns or leave breadcrumbs or something. Some of those identical looking gravel roads actually criss-cross.

Son and I took a wrong turn there once years ago and spent probably half an hour trying different spurs until we ended up back on a familiar road down by the highway. It was getting dark and we were anxious (and hungry - especially after stopping to let a family of 8-10 tasty looking elk mosey across the road).

PS, your iPhone will be useless there.

Son and I took a wrong turn there once years ago and spent probably half an hour trying different spurs until we ended up back on a familiar road down by the highway.

Only a half hour? Phhtttt! I've driven around above the Wilson R in the Tillamook for two hours before coming out to familiar territory. I've never been lost up there though, just didn't know where I was for awhile and came out at a different place than I'd planned.

Somebody has been trashing this spot lately, oil and antifreeze blown apart everywhere. Shotgun shells everywhere. An entire windshield leaned against a fallen tree shot to bits, glass everywhere.

If we keep this up it will be closed down, I don't have the space in my car to clean up everyone elses crap if they're going to start leaving car parts!

Somebody has been trashing this spot lately, oil and antifreeze blown apart everywhere. Shotgun shells everywhere. An entire windshield leaned against a fallen tree shot to bits, glass everywhere.

If we keep this up it will be closed down, I don't have the space in my car to clean up everyone elses crap if they're going to start leaving car parts!
Was there two weekends ago.. Some jack a** was shooting glass bottles and expandable foam canisters and had left all their crap there.

THIS is why long time shooters dont tell new folks about shooting spots.. Salmonberry seems like its getting more and more trashed.

Was there two weekends ago.. Some jack a** was shooting glass bottles and expandable foam canisters and had left all their crap there.

THIS is why long time shooters dont tell new folks about shooting spots.. Salmonberry seems like its getting more and more trashed.
Agreed, seasoned and responsible shooters don't want to share their spots, too many doo dahs out there trashing these shooting spots and giving us all a bad name...

Salmonberry river is Tillamook, Salmon river is near ZigZag. Hope that settles some confusion.
You're also probably seeing more trash there as the trail has become more popular in recent years among hipsters and homeless alike (sometimes it's hard to tell which is which). Willamette Week did an article on the trail a summer or two ago, so you're probably going to see more Californians littering out there.

"PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!" proceeds to run off trail trampling trilliums and newts leaving cliff bar wrappers and Yerba matte cans along the way.

I was up there 2 weekends ago and the place was also heavily trashed. The spot I call "location 3" is now bermed off by the forest service and thus officially closed. It was no surprise really, Ive reported about this here 2 or 3 times here finding people shooting trees and placing targets above the berm with no backstop, plus the trash. The other locations to shoot at were all trashed too... "location 1" was so bad we didn't use it even though nobody was there when we arrived and its otherwise a perfect place. I didn't want to be seen associated with all that trash and wasn't prepared to clean that much up...

So we just lost one good spot for pistol practice. If we don't do something about Salmonberry the other spots will be shut down soon enough.

To whom, today is 8/6/2017.....YESTERDAY I went up to visit some friends that were camping at the top of beaverslide. While passing shooting spots # 1&2 I noticed how incredibly clean #1 was. It looked like a bunch of NWFA members went up there and cleaned it up. (And i assume thats what happened, but im not sure....) It was freaking SPOTLESS!!!! THANK YOU!!!! We really appreciate that!!! I expected it to be completely trashed......Like usual....... It wasnt. I (we) were VERY impressed! THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO WHOEVER CLEANED IT UP!!!!!!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top