JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My employee bought her two teen boys bb guns. She has a big back yard in the city of Salem and set up a proper backstop. However, after a few cracks of the boys enjoying their new hardware, her neighbor came over and told them its illegal and will call LO if they kept shooting them.:eek: No stray bbs just the neighbor stating he did not want it.:rolleyes:

OK so I looked at the law and it reads:

Sec. 95.020. - Discharge of airguns prohibited.

(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any airgun within the corporate limits of the City.
(b)
Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, it shall not be unlawful to discharge an airgun within the corporate limits of the City if:
(1)
The person is discharging an airgun on a commercially operated shooting range, field, or other area designed and built exclusively for the use of airguns.
(2)
The person is discharging an airgun while acting as a registered participant in organized competition or tournament held within a park for which a community event permit has been issued pursuant to SRC chapter 104. As used in this subsection, the term "park" means any public grounds owned, supervised, or controlled by the City, whether within or outside of the corporate limits of the City.

It's from here: Municode Library

So my question is anyone else dealt with this in Salem? In reading this, it would look to me for them to "build and area designed and built exclusively for the use of airguns". Basically set up a nice range with a dedicated backstop, shooting bench, and a common range flag for a hot range. Maybe some signage that said "Designated Airgun range".

Thoughts?

My employee bought her two teen boys bb guns. She has a big back yard in the city of Salem and set up a proper backstop. However, after a few cracks of the boys enjoying their new hardware, her neighbor came over and told them its illegal and will call LO if they kept shooting them.:eek: No stray bbs just the neighbor stating he did not want it.:rolleyes:

(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any airgun within the corporate limits of the City.
(b)
Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, it shall not be unlawful to discharge an airgun within the corporate limits of the City if:
(1)
The person is discharging an airgun on a commercially operated shooting range, field, or other area designed and built exclusively for the use of airguns.
(2)
The person is discharging an airgun while acting as a registered participant in organized competition or tournament held within a park for which a community event permit has been issued pursuant to SRC chapter 104. As used in this subsection, the term "park" means any public grounds owned, supervised, or controlled by the City, whether within or outside of the corporate limits of the City.

So my question is anyone else dealt with this in Salem? In reading this, it would look to me for them to "build and area designed and built exclusively for the use of airguns". Basically set up a nice range with a dedicated backstop, shooting bench, and a common range flag for a hot range. Maybe some signage that said "Designated Airgun range".

Thoughts?

Don't forget to ask the a lawyer and get plenty of insurance... I am certain the Karens will be along shortly afterward to protest to the city council about the dangers of air gun ranges.

to add.. would a spring powered rifle be considered an air gun? o_O I think alot of " air guns " are not really powered by air.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

to add.. would a spring powered rifle be considered an air gun? o_O I think alot of " air guns " are not really powered by air.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

I think the spring powdered airguns is a spring pushing a piston that in turn creates an air blast.

Airguns, airsofts etc. are controlled by municipalities or state codes. As for BB guns they may be covered by the 'projectile' phrase. Legal authority should be consulted if you have doubts about the legality of what is legal or not permitted! I wonder if ping pong ball guns are 'legal'? They do 'push' air to launch the ping pong balls!

(a)
(b)
(1)
(2)

Thoughts?

I think the phrase "commercially operated" might pose a couple of expensive hurdles to jump over.

Going by the info you provided, you would need to have a "commercial" range, as noted by JustSomeGuy, or be involved in a competition at an event in a community park where the event has obtained a permit for such event. I'm not seeing any wiggle room there for private use under the statute.

Portland and many other cities have similar laws. You're generally not allowed to shoot bb guns, paintball, or airsoft guns within city limits. Even if you built a backstop and said it was designed for airgun use, the cops will give you a ticket. Got to love the nanny state. :s0037:

Portland and many other cities have similar laws. You're generally not allowed to shoot bb guns, paintball, or airsoft guns within city limits. Even if you built a backstop and said it was designed for airgun use, the cops will give you a ticket. Got to love the nanny state. :s0037:

Sad but true. Having lived the vast majority of my life in an area where I could light off a Howitzer and the only reason the neighbors would show up is to ask if they could play with it makes me feel bad for all the shooters that have to live in areas where they have to search out and travel to areas where they are "allowed" to discharge a firearm or air gun. And from what I read around here, that's a lot of folks doing a lot of looking and traveling for a dwindling number of locations. Sad, sad, sad. :(

Indoors or out-of-town seems like the only solution... dam shame.
My year+ long house search terms include a basement for exactly this purpose (indoor range) but they're more rare here than in other places like the midwest where a basement is very common.

The airgun-in-the-living-room idea was a big hit with my kids, but mama didn't seem to like it. At all. Hint: DON'T do that kind of stuff while she's home.

I doubt the letter of the law matches the spirit of the law in this case. Setting up a safe shooting area on you're own property doesn't violate anybody's rights. Responding cops should be able to tell you to knock it off (if there was a complaint) without issuing citations just because they can. Unfortunately... someone will complain. Everything is stupid.

Last Edited:
The garage and Amazon:

814fQjeZp0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51laDj2gRdL._AC_.jpg

If I could find a true spring-powered BB gun I would buy two for my employee to give to her boys. In the end, I may just get them some nice electric air-soft guns. Let their neighbor loose his chit over it to find out they are not airpowerd.

Sheesh.

This nation has become such a bunch of wimps. I would have kicked the crap out of my neighbor if he pulled that line.

Lighten up. Only joking.:)

Sucks she has such a crappy neighbor. I made sure to meet all of mine before putting an offer on my place.

A number of states regulate air guns to some extent or another. Lots of municipalities have laws on the books about them. I was surprised to learn this a few years ago. Always considered them something on the order of a toy. Not so anymore. Next thing you know, a bend paper clip and rubber band will be illegal. Oh, I guess nobody uses paper clips anymore. Problem solved.

Oops. Sometimes these threads come in handy. I live on unincorporated county lands. I just checked the county code here, previously unknown to me the county code has outlawed non-powder guns where I live. Glad I checked because I've allowed my grandson use of Umarex BB guns outside on my property. Punishable by being papered with a Class 1 civil infraction, costs $500.

My neighbor down the road rips his belt fed F/A every once in a while. No Karens around here except the LDS moms with their Karen haircuts who most likely would enjoy some trigger time on the F/A if asked.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top