JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was invited to go on a paid rat hunt in eastern Oregon. I was told I can bring any rifle I want and 1k rounds. I have a really nice AR with a high end trigger, but I just shoot iron sights. Is this going to be ok or will it suck the fun out? I really like shooting irons, but never had to shoot small game so I thought I would ask.

I would scope it up using quality qr mounts providing it is a flat top. If you wanted to try the irons pop the scope off and give her a go.

Depends on how good you are with iron sights.

If you can shoot ragged holes at 100 yards or at least 1MOA you should be ok.

A sage rat standing at 200 yards is literally shooting MOA. At 300 it's sub MOA.

I'd look at getting a scope with a fine reticle.

You can get rails that attach to A2 carry handle uppers to mount a scope. It won't have a pleasant cheek weld, but it's better than nothing.

upload_2019-4-9_11-45-17.jpeg

You'll have more fun with a .22 LR.

I completely agree with bringing a .22LR to a rat field.

It's been a long time since I've been out sage rat shooting, but my usual gear was composed of a three gun set.

My custom .240 Cobra for 200+ yards, an AR for 100 to about 300 yards and a heavy barrel 10/22 for inside 100 yards. All are topped with optics.

These three allowed my a variety of trigger time and no one rifle got overly heated in a really prolific field.

That will be fun , but not very useful. Scoped centerfire for long range and a scoped accurate .22 or .17HMR for close range in my humble opinion. :)

When do you go? I hope you'll share your experience.

I just got back from my very first sage rat hunt in eastern Oregon. It was very windy and that affected the squirrels behavior. The guide said that when it was very windy, they tended to hunker down more. It was a cold wind so it was nice having my truck nearby to get in to warm up from time to time. Thankfully the rain showers missed us. The guide did say that May was the better month. Having said that, the shooting was steady all day long.

I took a Ruger 10/22 and an AR-15 with me. Both are scoped. I had a blast! I hope your eyes are a lot better than my old eyes because I cannot imagine trying to shoot those small rats with iron sights. At times they were moving all over and it was easy to spot them. Then things would slow down and I would use my binoculars to look for the ones peering out of their holes.

I will say that I'm kind of disappointed in the 22LR. One guy was shooting a 17 HMR and that really impressed me. I think I'm hooked on sage rat hunting and seriously thinking about a 17 HMR.

I was invited to go on a paid rat hunt in eastern Oregon. I was told I can bring any rifle I want and 1k rounds. I have a really nice AR with a high end trigger, but I just shoot iron sights. Is this going to be ok or will it suck the fun out? I really like shooting irons, but never had to shoot small game so I thought I would ask.

Iron sights on a sage rat shoot would be like paddling a canoe with a broom handle.
Just my .02
Best,
Gary

You will want a scope on your AR for sure. The real fun is shooting them at longer distances. Here are a couple of my sage rat rifles...can't wait to go when there is a break in the weather.

DSC_8964.JPG

Pay for a squirrel hunt? Lol!! That's new to me.

I'd say ask what the hunt is about? Waking? Or just in any nice chair with bench and long range.

Hope it's not windy or rainy.

+1 on the 17HMR scoped sub 150 yards and .223 scoped for the 200+ yard varmints; my preferred combination. The poor ol 10/22 rarely gets use anymore, except the occasional morning jack rabbit hunts:D

We're going to Christmas Valley tuesday, April 16, for the first time. We've been practicing with 3-inch claybirds, at 75 yards, out to 150 yards. 10/22's with the new trigger and Nikon Rimfire 3-9x BDC scopes. Hoping we're missing the snow, rain, and wind. Suspect that it won't be perfect, but we're hopeful that we can scare a few rats into not coming out of their burrows until we leave.

Sage rat hunting is an addictions which I am afflicted. You will want an optic. I attempted using an AR with open sights one year and found it frustrating- too small of a target for what becomes large sights.

My rat hunting arsenal has become four or five rifles - 10/22 scoped for walking (spot & stalk if the guide allows - mine does), 17 mach 2 with no/minimal wind out to 125 yards, 17 hmr for shots to 175, scoped Rock River varmint for beyond 175 and a 22 Mag for shots out to 125 in the wind (30 gr or 40 gr bullet bucks the wind better than 17 gr without the recoil of the AR).

A good set of binoculars is a great help for this type of hunt. Allows you to see more critters with a wider field of view than a scope or the naked eye.

Multiple magazines per weapon is also very helpful. No fun to get on a "hot spot" and have to stop to reload.

Bring plenty of ammo, as it is better to come home with leftovers than run out in the field.

And most importantly- have fun with whatever firearm you bring!

I just wanted to emphasize the one main point in all these replies, "Have fun!" I have to say that there were more than a few times during my first hunt that I stood up and said, "I absolutely suck at this!" No one disagreed. There were times I got frustrated at a steady string of misses. But then the sun came out, the wind eased up, and the hits started to rack up so life was good again.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top