JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any ideas or what do people do to secure guns around kids when traveling? Like how can I secure my gun for the night if camping but still have it available but out of danger for the kiddos.

Kids and Guns do not mix well
That it is funny.
I spent my first 18 years with guns easily reached and ammo the same way. Camping dad kept a pistol handy and we never had an issue.
Outside of that you ask good questions and raise some good ideals.

But I am getting tired of how so many people, on gun forums, act like all kids are niether smart enough or trained enough to be around an unsecured firearm at any age.

Kids and guns don't mix? Guess I missed that memo. I have bought many kids guns and taught many how to safely handle firearms and shoot them.

To the OP what age kids and what are your actual concerns? If it is little ones getting in to them simply putting in a bag so it is out of sight and out of the way. You can use some of the small car size safes would would keep access from them.

I guess I don't understand the concern since I have guns around kids all the time.

Maybe the neighbor kids are along for the camping trip, or they have that one kid every-other family seems to get these days who is really impulsive, ADHD or whatever. I suggest a cable lock for a pump shotgun, semi-auto pistol or revolver with the key on a strap around your wrist. Some models of semi-automatic pistols have a magazine disconnect which prevents firing. That way you can keep your pistol loaded with one in the chamber and sleep with a full magazine in your pants pocket.

Trouble? Wake up, grab your pistol beside you, insert magazine and you are ready to go.

Fortunately my daughter (hell even my wife struggles) are not strong enough to rack the slide on my XD. But like others have said, I have taught my daughter to never touch a gun. She's (age 7) scared of them to an extent. If she see's it she makes sure i'm well aware of where it is at, however she wont touch it. However in the proper environment she really enjoys shooting and wants to learn more and more. She's working on memorizing/knowing/understanding all of the weapon safety rules that I taught her.

I grew up with guns and ammo in my closet. The trick, in my mind, is to not make guns a stigma. They are a normal part of our lives and just are. My wife can not run the slide on my XD either, let alone my 2 year old twins. But they have very little interest anyhow. Occasionally, they will shout "gun" and point, but that is the extent. They never even make a motion to touch it, and I have sat them in my lap and let them hold the little rifle they will start shooting at 3, just to look down the scope.

As long as guns are a part of every day life from their earliest memories, they will be safe around them. I've got a 14 and 9 year old boy and girl and they have survived.

No taboo, no problem.

Speed I use an air mattress too, my wife has M.S. so she needs it. I got used to sleeping with a side arm in the service.

BCB have you tried a hang bag in the center or the corner closest to your head?

For those that say their wife has a problem racking the slide you need to google "how women rack slides" or something similar. There are ways almost anyone can properly rack a slide.

Yup, have used the hang bags.

As far as the wife and the slide...it's like drawing a bow. I know that I just have to show her how to do it with both hands. That sounds a bit filthy.

For those that say their wife has a problem racking the slide you need to google "how women rack slides" or something similar. There are ways almost anyone can properly rack a slide.

I'm pretty sure you could be arrested for typing that into a computer in some states...

:rolleyes:

If you are that worried about securing the firearm, put it in one of those little Gun Vault Nano lock boxes or if you are really paranoid, lock the ammo in your glove compartment.

Thanks for all the replies. My daughter is only 6 months old but thinking of the future when old enough to get into things but too young to understand gun safety. I'm new to guns myself and just trying to educate myself as much as I can before I consider starting to carry one around. This looked pretty cool. Life Jacket Gun Locks (LifeJacket)

Yup, have used the hang bags.

As far as the wife and the slide...it's like drawing a bow. I know that I just have to show her how to do it with both hands. That sounds a bit filthy.

LOL well show her and enjoy!!! Also if in the hang bag keep one in the pipe, kids are asleep and all the wife has to do is cock the hammer back.

XD is a striker fire...All she has to do is pull the trigger and hold on...Once again, strangely dirty.

LMAO Speed and yes, yes it is strangely dirty!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you could be arrested for typing that into a computer in some states...

:rolleyes:

If you are that worried about securing the firearm, put it in one of those little Gun Vault Nano lock boxes or if you are really paranoid, lock the ammo in your glove compartment.

Can we get a demo of a woman sliding her rack please? ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top