Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safe Storage Rust?!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Heidland, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Heidland

Heidland SW Washington Active Member

I have a Savage 320 12 gauge pump; my goto varmint gun for squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, pine martins, and every other varmint that ruins our garden or goes for our chickens.

I like the gun. It was inexpensive, performs well for it's purpose, and is easy to give a quick clean too after dealing with above said pests.

This afternoon I put down a pine martin that was trying to dig into our chicken coop and when I safed the shotgun I noticed....RUST. A lot of it, especially around the pump mechanism.

I keep this in my safe, in a non-humid environment, and I give it a quick clean-up after every use.

I just finished a full tear down and deep clean and most of the exterior bits had tiny rust spots. Corrected, oiled, and buffed now, but, really? On my next trip to town I plan to get some Duracoat and give this a whole finish job, but in the mean time I'm irritated as heck.

Has anyone else had an issue with Savage's suddenly rusting after a month-ish in storage? Are they known to have finish issues?

2. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

I keep a dehumidifier in my safe (this one). It seems to work, at least I am not seeing any rust on my heavily-scratched 870 Express.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Don't use DriZAir in a safe. Don't ask me why :( .

Keith

4. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

I wipe all my guns down with WD-40. Have never had any rust issues.

5. Heidland

Heidland SW Washington Active Member

I use M-Pro7 LPX...that's why I was stunned to see rust and was asking if anyone else has had finish issues. This is the first weapon I've ever had that occur with.

6. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

It sounds like you don't have a dehumidifier in your safe. I would grab one of those. You can get a Centurion/Liberty one at Lowe's for like $30-$40.

7. cheesehead

cheesehead Central, OR Member

I use a Goldenrod in my safe, you have to have an electrical cord for it , but it works well.

8. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I use a rechargeable dehumidifier, few hours in the oven ever six months. Zero rust in my safe.

9. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

Got a specific model? I'm in the market for some safe-supplies :)

10. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

11. Tony617

Tony617 Washington State Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

12. Mathmattx

Mathmattx Ellensburg Active Member

I awlays wipe my guns down with CLP (once or twice a year) and after cleaning and it certainluy seems to work.

13. Tony617

Tony617 Washington State Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use CLP as well but I still use a dehumidifier in my safe as well.

14. osprey

osprey NW WA Active Member

I have a safe in the garage in western wa ( high humidity). I have a golden rod inside and I have zero problems with rust. You just have to keep the safe a few degrees higher than the surrounding area and it keeps moisture away. Get a golden rod or equivalent and don't look back.