JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got alittle cash and I decided id explore getting a smaller carry gun. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Shield and the glock 43.
Does anyone have any input on which I should look at harder? The interweb seems mixed with about half wanting one or the other with nothing really leaning wither way.
if I got the shield it would be the one w/o a safety and id prefer the PC one.

I have 2 Shields one a nine the other a forty cal. I like them both and both have been 100% reliable for me with my handloads and factory ammo I have used. That said a guy at the range let me shoot his G43 and I was comfortable shooting it and actually enjoyed it. It's a little thicker than the shield I think. I'd feel comfortable with either I know that's probably not a lot of help, but I think they are both really good in their roll. Fun to shoot counts a lot with me though I am not really as into carry as going to the range and burning powder:p.

I owned and EDC'd a 9mm Shield for years. Then I bought the Glock 43 about 6 months ago. I shot them both side by side and so did a few of my buddies. We all chose the G43 over the Shield. The Shield was great (not trying to knock it) but the G43 just seemed a little greater for shootability.

I disagree with ageingstudent. The G43 is absolutely thinner than the Shield and ever so slightly smaller dimensions the rest of the way around when set side by side.

The thing I like about my G43 was my ability to upgrade the trigger, sights, barrel and magazine bases all on my own. I put some Talon grips on it and now I EDC that thing everywhere I go. It is definitely easier to deep conceal than the Shield. The Glock 43 is now my new "go to" EDC gun.

I owned and EDC'd a 9mm Shield for years. Then I bought the Glock 43 about 6 months ago. I shot them both side by side and so did a few of my buddies. We all chose the G43 over the Shield. The Shield was great (not trying to knock it) but the G43 just seemed a little greater for shootability.

I disagree with ageingstudent. The G43 is absolutely thinner than the Shield and ever so slightly smaller dimensions the rest of the way around when set side by side.

The thing I like about my G43 was my ability to upgrade the trigger, sights, barrel and magazine bases all on my own. I put some Talon grips on it and now I EDC that thing everywhere I go. It is definitely easier to deep conceal than the Shield. The Glock 43 is now my new "go to" EDC gun.
I know it's slightly smaller, i didn't think it was actually thinner. Nonetheless i like it a lot. Trying to talk Mrs student into one:p. That way I get borrowers rights:D.

I have shot a Shield and it was fine but I own the G43. Main reason being is that I am vested in the Glock platform and I am generally more comfortable with a Glock. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

unless its the PC one ;)

Im not sure I'd carry the PC version. I see guns like that as being used at really short ranges. The changes in the PC version dont make a difference in that kind of engagement and to me, dont warrant the price increase.

I bet reactive shooting from the hip can be neat with jets of hot gas squirting out the side of the gun. Im not big on any ported or compensated gun if its not full auto.

Interesting. What don't you like about the G43? I was/am impressed with mine. I think this reinforces why picking a pistol is such a personal thing.

I didn't like the size vs. felt recoil, and for some reason I wasn't very accurate with it. I can shoot my Shield so much better.

I currently own a Shield9, which I bought used when S&W was giving that huge rebate. During those months, even used Shields were great prices.

I have owned a Kahr PM9 and CM9, both of which I sold (I regret selling the PM9).

My dad owns a Glock 43 and I shot it at the range.

My conclusions:
-The Kahr is too big to be a pocket pistol, which means it needs to be on the waist. In that case, one might as well get a bigger gun like the G43 or even the Shield. Plus, the Kahr9 mags leak rounds out when in the pocket as an spare mag. I think you are right to be thinking Glock or S&W.
-I am a Glock fanboy and own 6 Glocks right now. I hated the G43 trigger and handling. Even though every other Glock works for me (from a 42 to a 34), the 43 just didn't feel right to me. I couldn't hit what I was aiming at, no matter how much I tried. I can drill the target with any other Glock.
-I absolutely love my Shield!! I think it is the perfect size for a single-stack belt gun. The 7rd mag allows for a wee bit of my pinky to have a spot on the grip and the 8rd mag gives a full grip, but you have both options. Considering this pistol is at least $100 less, I think it is a no-brainer. Plus, I can drill the center out of anything I aim at, and recoil is not as sharp as one might think...certainly a smoother impulse than the G43 of my dad's.

Well poo. I see I missed the S&W rebate by a day.. well, I think I will just wait for the next deal or maybe pick one up from someone here.

I have a Shield in 9mm, with the safety (doesn't bother me). I do not have any Glocks. The reason is, the Glocks just don't seem to fit me very comfortably when I hold them. They don't seem to point naturally either, like the Shield does.

I guess it comes to the standard answer. If you can, try them both out and see which one you like the best, or which one likes you the best ..... either way.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top