JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with ikemay. ^^ ^ You like Ford, I like Chevy. You like blondes and I like brunettes. There is no empirical best when it comes to such a subjective thing. It really comes down to which fits you best. I think the Glock is more durable weapon than the Shield. If I knew I was going to encounter a 20K round marathon, I would choose the Glock. Having said that, I own the Shield 9mm with safety. It just feels better in my hands. One of my best friends thinks I'm crazy and prefers Glock. Choose the one that feels best to you and go with it. If you like it, you will practice with and carry it more.

I use only the 8 round mags because I can grip the handgun better with that little extra length the mag bumper provides. I find that it conceals well in an IWB holster and I'm not a big guy. I also had Trijicon night sights installed. To date, I know I have over 1,000 rounds thru it with a mix of everything from Gold Dots to Blazer to 9BPLE +P+ and it has yet to fail. I clean it once a quarter too.

I had a Shield 9. Excellent pistol, I found it to be really accurate and easy to shoot. Still, I sold it and got a G43 FDE. I installed Magguts springs and followers into the mags to bring them up to 7 rnds. Magguts in the Shield adds two rounds. The Glock definitely more expensive, I have probably $200 more into that set up than the Shield cost me. My Shield had the safety which I didn't like. The Glock is slightly easier to conceal and weighs a bit less. I had zero malfunctions with either one. Shot around 500 rnds out of the Shield, a mix of different hardball and defense rnds, brass and steel. Around 300 from the G43 so far. Both were comfortable in the hand. All in all they are both excellent, choice probably comes down to cost, weight and size, and what feels best in your hand.

IMG_0730.JPG

I have the Shield in 9 & 40 and really loved them, UNTIL.... I got my 43. I am a Glock guy I guess, and it just feels more natural and I shoot it better. I sold the shield 9 when I got my 43, but I liked it so much that regrets made me buy another one when all the rebates where going down. Never had any Malfunctions with any of them, and you can't go wrong with either choice. It's all personal preference. If you are ever in the Eugene area, give me a holler, and you can check mine out.

I had an opportunity to handle a G43 at a Port Angeles gun show right after they came out, along with the G42. From my limited experience with Glocks (G17 and G19) before then, I didn't expect to like the trigger feel. But at the PA show, I thought both the G43 and G42 felt better than their larger brethren. I was looking for something for summer carry with cutoffs, cargo shorts, etc. I went with the G42 just because it was a little bit smaller—also because a friend, a former LEO, was with me, and he swears by Glocks, having survived not a few gunfights with his service pistol. The G42 has been OK, and I tend to carry it in spring and fall. Accuracy is better than I expected. I tried Ruger's .380 ACP ARX ammo in it, and thought it was keystoning, not stabilizing in the polygonal rifling. Ruger's CEO hooked me up with an independent expert who had helped Polycase develop the ARX (that's a whole story in itself), and we sorted that issue out when I reshot the ARX ammo with a stiff backing behind the target. Anyway, for training, I bought four boxes of Blazer Brass on a good sale. I couldn't get through a magazine without a failure to feed! My LEO friend was appalled. "Blazer is pretty good stuff. You should sent the G42 to Glock. There must be something wrong with it." Well, I haven't done that. Just went back to using ARX or Hornady Critical Defense, neither type having any hang-ups in the G42. Moral of the story? I wouldn't buy into the myth that Glocks never fail. In hindsight, do wish I had bought the G43. A little extra bulk isn't much of a trade-off, when I could be carrying 9mm. As for the Shield, I've only tried a range rental, and didn't have great results. Now I'm looking hard at a Sig P320. That's the first range rental—or any handgun—that shot a single ragged hole in the center of the target with the first mag I ran through it.

As a vertically challenged guy on the thin side . I like the 9mm Shield for summer carry in my shorts pocket or anywhere.
I hate the 7r mag , but the 8rd gives the full grip feel. Just my preference.
Its very small and thin, can't beat the price.
That being said, my Glock 19 hides very well and is very comfy to carry or shoot.

I had a Glock 42. Bought it right as the 43 came out. I really wish I had waited an bought the 43 ... I ended up trading the 42 for an XD-S 3.3 in 45acp. Good CC pistol, but still wish I had a 43 instead as it's a little smaller than the XD-S

I also have an XDs in .45 ACP. It's my alternate EDC to the G42. Large difference in power, obviously. I do limit practice with the XDs to about 50 rounds a session due to the aggressive grip surface. I sometimes get a small blood blister from the top/rear square bump on the left side of the grip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top