JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

M&P Sheild 45 or M&P Sheild 45 Performance Center

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey all I'm trying to figure out if the ported barrel, fiber optic sights and trigger kit on the M&P Sheild 45 Performance Center are worth the extra hundred+ dollars or if I should just go with the standard M&P Sheild 45. I will be using it for everyday carry. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe

FWIW, I have, in 9mm both a standard non ported Shield from 2012 and a Performance center, ported, fiber optic, Shield from 2017. Both are first generation Shields. The porting has little noticeable efect on recoil, recovery time, or muzzle blast / flash for me. ymmv.

The pros for the PC gun, better sights, better factory trigger, porting (so sexy;)).

The non PC gun, trigger is easy to improve or replace, Sights can easily be replaced with whatever you want not just a choice of fiber optic or tritium.

The lack of porting makes it easier to clean... the ported gun will foul the inside of the slide (pain in the butt to clean). I have considered getting a non ported barrel for the PC gun as I shoot a fair amount of cast bullets that accelerated the fouling. Note this fouling hasn't had any effect on reliability.

How much of this applies to the .45? is up to you. For what I paid for the PC gun I could not have upgraded the trigger and sights on my older gun (Cabellas Thanksgiving sale/points/discount gift cards/S&W rebate) so was a no brainier.

I don't know if the porting may be more beneficial on the .45 or not. My experience with porting has been that it is most beneficial with high pressure cartridges, think .357/.41/.44 magnums.

FWIW For the last forty years I've always owned at least one .45 however always carried 9mm, .38 or .357 as primary cc guns.

Done rambling now.:s0139:

I have a PC shield 45 I would be happy to let you shoot. I am in Tigard.

Can't tell you if it is better as I have never shot them side by side.

I had the Shield 45 and felt it was pretty good as is. Never tried a PC vers.

It, to me, is likely the best subcom single stack 45 on the market imo and is very very accurate. There are ok options for it in terms of aftermarket such as lights/sights/holsters etc.

We also have a member on here whose selling his Shield 45 with night sights @nammac, if that has your interest. The Shield 45 was made same time the 2.0 Shields hit so it has all the upgrades. Some are branded with 2.0 while others aren't there are no differences aside from that marking.

I would say go with the standard model and use the rest of the money on ammo then decide at the range. Rent one or ask someone to use one at the range sometime?. Ergonomically its very comfy for a single stack subcom but YMMV. As for ported barrel, are you more of a day time person or night time person? remember porting will affect eye sight at night time if you plan to carry or bedside this. Retention fire could possibly be another issue.

It, to me, is likely the best subcom single stack 45 on the market imo and is very very accurate. There are ok options for it in terms of aftermarket such as lights/sights/holsters etc.

We also have a member on here whose selling his Shield 45 with night sights @nammac, if that has your interest. The Shield 45 was made same time the 2.0 Shields hit so it has all the upgrades. Some are branded with 2.0 while others aren't there are no differences aside from that marking.

I would say go with the standard model and use the rest of the money on ammo then decide at the range. Rent one or ask someone to use one at the range sometime?. Ergonomically its very comfy for a single stack subcom but YMMV. As for ported barrel, are you more of a day time person or night time person? remember porting will affect eye sight at night time if you plan to carry or bedside this. Retention fire could possibly be another issue.
Yup, $325, fees on the buyer.

:)

I do plan on using it for concealed carry and I hadnae even though about retention fire and the ported barrel it seems as though the standard Sheild is the way to go thanks all

Joe

I have the PC version in .45 . I like the pistol a lot. It does have a nice trigger and I like the sights. I've never shot a standard version. Carry is very comfortable, as I use a soft leather holster.

Concealment Express makes a nice kydex holster for it too. Here's my other Shield .45 (my primary) in its Concealment Express, very easy to carry.

6CC1C70C-14AD-4DDF-987A-60D65BF37282.jpeg

It kinda depends.

First and foremost, do you want a ported barrel? Some people don't like ported barrels for CCW guns because they say the muzzle flash is greater and that can mess with your night vision. But I think a lot of this depends on user preference and the amount of muzzle flash can vary widely depending on the ammo.

I would guess, however, that a ported barrel would make a decent bit of difference in a small subcompact 45 like the Shield. But my standard advice with sub compacts applies...make absolutely sure you rent and shoot the gun you're thinking of getting. Many sub compacts can be downright unpleasant to shoot, even in 9mm. Do not buy a sub without shooting it first!

Now finding a ported shield to try out might be a little hard. But at a minimum I would shoot a regular 45 shield. If you like it, then you know you'll probably like the ported gun with respect to the recoil...because it should only get better with the porting. But if you hate it, then maybe you really should try to find a ported Shield before you throw down your hard earned $$...or perhaps change to the 9mm.

Fiber Optics - I love fiber optics and usually swap over to them in my guns. So getting this from the factory would be a plus for me. but if this is going to be a carry gun and what you really want is night sights, then the fiber sights aren't really a plus for you.

Trigger - I've really become fond of the Apex Flat Faced trigger in my S & W's so that is what my preference would be. However I suspect the trigger on a PC gun is pretty nice. So if you didn't have your heart set on something specific already, this is probably a nice upgrade.

The other thing I usually tell folks who are thinking of getting sub compact is to really think about it and make sure that a reduced capacity, shorter sight radius'd, greater recoiling, smaller gripped weapon that you can't get your whole hand on, is really the gun that you want to fight with and bet your life on?

For me it's not. The reduced capacity and smaller grip are deal breakers for me. A Glock 19 sized weapon is as small as I am willing to go. But this is a very personal and subjective thing. My only point here is to make sure you've thought this through and are ok with the tradeoffs.

Ports tend to collect lint and other stuff. For CC I'd probably go with the regular version but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Let us know which one you end up with. :)

So I ended up getting the performance center because I had already put down a deposit. I love it because it's a tackdriver on the range, but it's not quite what I wanted for a carry pistol due to the lack of a safety. So I'm try to convince my wife to let me get the standard Sheild 9 mil without having to get rid of this one... looks like I'm probably going to have to though, what do y'all think keep or sell?

If you're worried about the safety, carry it unchambered for a month and count how many times the trigger moves itself to the rear. Then chamber and stop being worried. It's not a feather light single action 1911

If you're worried about the safety, carry it unchambered for a month and count how many times the trigger moves itself to the rear. Then chamber and stop being worried. It's not a feather light single action 1911
I use mine as my nightstand gun but occasionally carry it in a soft leather holster. Like the Performance 45

I own the non PC version and really like it. It is light and controllable. I also like the trigger. I had shot an older M&P Shield in 9mm and did not like the trigger but the one on the 45 is great. For a sub $400 CCW I don't think you could go wrong with either if you can spare the $$.

It's been a few months I convinced my wife to let me buy the standard m&p shield 9 mil as well I love it and I take everywhere I go thank you all for your feedback

Joe

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads