JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a new trailer, old trailer was basically used for hunting. Mama and the boys want to start camping more in the new trailer instead of tent camping in unapproved camp spots around the lakes of Mt. Hood. I've camped most of my life along the Clackamas river and Mt. Hood but always out of the truck. Now that I have a new fancy trailer we would like to use it more. But I've noticed that almost every camp ground that accommodates trailers and RV's get booked in February for the summer season.
Not looking for your secret oasis, as I wouldn't want to share mine, but what are your favorite campgrounds that will accommodate RV's and trailers that aren't booked out 4-6 months in advance? I live in Vancouver but grew up in Oregon so always gravitate to what I know, and don't know many of the spots in Washington state.

True, most campgrounds around the area fill up with reservations by Feb. (or Jan. 5th :)). I've noticed that most people "jump on" the net and make the reservations early so they can try and plan camping trips throughout the Spring/Summer/Fall.

BUT, a lot of the times things come up and people have to cancel.

I pick a couple places that I'd like to go to and start calling them on Wed. or Thurs. (remember, you must give 24-48 hour notice of cancellation to get your deposit refunded in full). People start cancelling around Wed. or Thurs.

There are a lot of times my #1 place to go camping has an opening for that weekend.

This works if you can pack and go in a matter of a couple days.

FWIW.
My $0.02
;)

you have to plan 9 months to a year in advance. otherwise, get your camper set up for 'boon docking" / dry camping. This way you can pull into a tent sight and don't need hook-ups and these types of sites are almost always available as many forest service campground don't even allow for reservations - first come.

congratulations on your new toy!

Hobuck resort out at neah bay has lots of space and the main campground spots are filled up on a first come, first served basis. (They have full rv hookups in the secondary campground that you can reserve, I think, but I am usually sleeping in a tent or the back of my rig so I've never inquired about them). Great place to camp, right on the beach- plenty of gorgeous hiking, amazing fishing, and a few good shooting spots too up in the hills! Go midweek and you'll have your run of the place.
Lapush is another great place but it's tough (but not impossible)to get a spot there during the high season.
There are also a few lesser known campgrounds along the coast near Kalaloch. (I spend the majority of my free time on the nw coast, if you were wondering why all my recommendations are beach related)
Enjoy your new rig!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys/gals. Spent last weekend at Pine Point on Timothy lake. Made a reservation on Reserve America that had one online reservation open. Very surprising that the camp ground was almost full despite the crappy weather. Guess I will just have to keep an eye on last minute cancellations or be adventurous and go where I have not gone before.

Typically when tent camping I never camp in a campground, always off a fire road and in the middle of nowhere but would be a little uncomfortable driving some of the roads I typically tent camp off of with the trailer in tow.

BlackRyder thanks for the beach suggestions. Love camping right on the beach.

Spent the weekend at thousand trails in Pacific City

image.jpeg

That's one thing I don't like about some of the places close to the beach. Basically a parking lot for trailers and RV's.
Camping is supposed to be relaxing, but when you can hear the dude in the trailer next to you snoring, well that's not relaxing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top