JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I beg leave to disagree with your, Sir. Of all tanks developed at the end of WW2, it is the British Centurion that holds the record for most-produced and most marks of production. In fact, in spite of having been designed in 1943, and put into production as the 'Black Prince' just before the end of the war in Europe, unlike the Pershing it never saw action. All that changed over the next almost fifty years in service - yup, there were variants of the Centurion taking part in Gulf War 1 as armoured engineer and recovery vehicles. A number of countries had them still in reserve service as recently as 2018.

However, I don't recall any variants of the Pershing with a similar history.

All true. The following US tanks were developed from the M26;
M46 Patton
M47 Patton
M48 Patton
M60 Patton
Not to mention an enormous family of self propelled guns, recovery, bridgelayers and one APC that all used the various Patton chassis. I believe that variants of the Pattons saw service not just in Korea, Vietnam, but also all the little wars and in the Middle East. In fact I remember a development of the M60 that was to be for export market to at least get ahead of the T-72; the M60-2000? I do know the Israeli Military Industries developed updated Pattons and many vehicles also based on the Patton, they had a name for them, the Sabra?

I beg leave to disagree with your, Sir. Of all Allied tanks developed at the end of WW2, it is the British Centurion that holds the record for most-produced and most marks of production. In fact, in spite of having been designed in 1943, and put into production as the 'Black Prince' just before the end of the war in Europe, unlike the Pershing it never saw action. All that changed over the next almost fifty years in service - yup, there were variants of the Centurion taking part in Gulf War 1 as armoured engineer and recovery vehicles [AVRE]. A number of countries had them still in reserve service as recently as 2018.

However, I don't recall any variants of the Pershing with a similar history.

The eventual main armament, that lasted until the very end of Centurion as a gun tank, was the British-designed 105mm gun, adopted by the US Army as the main armament for the M60, M60A1 and even the Abrams in its early versions. The same gun was the mainstay of ALL NATO and Commonwealth tanks until the development of the 120mm smooth-bore gun by Rheinmetall. Even the odd Swedish StrV103 had as self-loading version and the field artillery version, the 105mm light gun, was in service with the US Army and Marine Corps until recently

Every now and then the Brits get something right, even though other folks might not like to have to admit it.
What I meant was: the M-26 defined the design layout of ALL future tanks! Before it, tank design was all over the map, after they all basically followed the M-26!

What I meant was: the M-26 defined the design layout of ALL future tanks! Before it, tank design was all over the map, after they all basically followed the M-26!
Eh. Taking issue there.
The M26 defined tank design for American and some European tanks (Austrian, Swiss, German) but... the Centurion defined tank design for British tanks (Chieftain, Challenger 1 and 2) and some similar tanks (IDF Merkava sort of, some African tanks, some Asian tanks?)

While the T-54 defined tank design for Russian, Chinese, and some European tanks including Yugoslavia.

Edit 2. Even the M26 was basically following the Panzer III/IV and T-34 designs in many aspects other than the overlapping/interleaved wheels. The Panzer III started the torsion suspension trend, the IV with the large turret, the T-34 with the sloped armor

Looks like the breach was open when she was hit and cooked off, note the heavy smoke out the muzzle just before the blast!
The ready ammunition in the T-72-series of tanks and derivatives like the T-90 are located in two concentric rings underneath the breech. The outer ring holds the separate propellant charge - made of a plasticised semi-explosive with a metal stub base to enable it to be rammed, and the inner ring holds the projectile.

There is NO form of protection for either component.

So when a shaped-charge warhead sends its jet of white-hot through the material of the side armour, it ignites the propellant charges. Nobody inside has a chance. Minor fires in the crew space are dealt with by the on-board fire extinguisher system. However, although it might put out the fire, it also has a bad effect on the crew - it is nothing less than ethylene-bromide, a well-known bug killer used in agriculture...

I've had a ride in a T-72. I'm 5' 10" and built like a line-backer, and almost filled my half of the crew space. My left arm dangled dangerously close to the ammo ramming mechanism - loss of the left arm from the shoulder is an occupational hazard for a T-72 gunner.

Rooftop filmmaker didn't prepare for the back-blast.
You can see someone moving near the rear of the tank before the strike.
U4.png

On his back after the blast.
U3.png

Leaves the scene...exit battlespace right
U1.png

Yikes :eek:

You can see someone moving near the rear of the tank before the strike.
I noticed that, too. Had to run it through on slo-mo a few times to see where that guy came from.
He clearly was NOT in the tank. Musta been hiding/taking cover next to the rear sprocket.

You may very well be right! He did come around the tank with his pants in quite the tatters... 🤔
Probably wearing a tanker's suit/flight suit/overalls. He definitely had them off his shoulders..not uncommon...looks like he might have a cold weather fleece top. Whatever he was doing saved him from becoming a cloud of ash.

Apologize to the OP for talking about 💩

Edit to Add: Tank needed more of this...
1631040850458.png

Last Edited:
This shows the carousel loading system, and therefore the GUN-loading system in slow motion, in a T-80 tank.

Note the 'stub' portion of the case has to be ditched manually in this sequence - when actually firing it is ejected up a curved chute and out of the turret via a hinged trapdoor system - very fast so as not to ruin the NBC integrity of the tank, which is over-pressured to about 18 - 22 psi during closed-down operations.

Why riding around in a Russian tank is not on my "To Do" list :

Sadly, Sir, this movie title is absolute BS.

The location is nowhere near Syria and no Israelis were involved. The place is actually the Bofors AB of SWEDEN test range, sometime in 1988, and the tank is a stuffed-to-the-gills Centurion retired from the Swedish Army. The missile is the Bofors BILL top attack ATGM.

When I ETSd in 69 the Kool Kid rig was an XM551LAARAV or some such acronym..

But it was A Real Kool Kid rig.

And ahead of it's time.

It was a Paratrooper & a Swimmer.
At Ft Knox they plunged one 10 ft deep into the dirt because an AF Lt screwed up the parachute rigging.

Trying to sell it to anybody including Israelis & ARabs, among others.

152 mm main tube, fired a Shillelagh wire
guided missle.

But it Did have It's issues..

The conventional rnd had a combustible shell casing.
A smoldering ember inside the chamber could cause a live rnd to, well,
kill everybody inside,
so they the came up w/ a CO2 Scavenger System.
Guys quit getting jellified.

Maybe there are some old fart 11Deltas on this forum who endured jungle crap..

🤔🤔🤔
😁😎🤗

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany