JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stuck at home on a nice afternoon like the rest of the state. Decided to set up the casting equipment on the deck and run some .54 and .58 ball. Still got another 40-50 lbs of lead to go.
IMG_0929.jpeg

Pure lead is best for round ball....

I try and pick up a box of Speer or Hornady round ball off of the prize table at shoots , even if its a caliber I don't use....easy to melt down and make round ball for what I do shoot....
Andy

Matts, I've got the little LEE pot, but had to go to the LEE bottom drop to consistently fill some of my 300gr.+ molds. Now, with the ranges all closed down to shooting, I had to quit casting, because all of my bullet drawers are full. :(

I used a Rowell 5" and another about 2 1/2"
I also have a mold for .62 ball ; elk rifle.
And an unopened box of 40 lbs. pure lead; bought from Arizona shipped from a guy that dealt in Pure lead ingots. Quite the man. Required for 'runnin' ball.

Edit: My pot was a 1 1/2 gal. Propane tank cut off just ABOVE the top "curve" in towards the valve. No splashes. On a crab pot burner.

Do y'all weigh the balls, or do you just eyeball them for
consistency ? :)
I've been weighing mine to + - .5 gr. Sometimes I wonder
if I'm wasting my time. :rolleyes:
I weigh the 325 gr. GC for my .458 to within .25 gr. :)

I just eyeball 'em...
If they look and feel "right"..then into the pouch ya go....
If not....back into the pot....:D
Andy

Edit to add :
I try to load and shoot like Boone and Crockett...
I'm pretty sure they didn't weigh each round ball or weigh and measure charges...
On a scale that is....I'm sure they used a fixed powder measure that "threw" a good and accurate measure for their guns....
Now if only I could shoot as well as them....:D

The rifle itself is only burning close to 50% of the charge vol. the little weight diff. In the ball Shouldn't be of much effect. Visual. Check. .Dont sweat the 5% powder charge vol. error .

Edit: I may be off and un scientific Iguess its 11.5 times the cubic inch of barrel ?????

Last Edited:
FWIW, I weigh my larger calibers to +\- 1 gr. and save them for match/hunting use. My .32's get weighed +\- 1/2 gr. The rejects go in the practice bin. It does make a difference, but the difference can get overshadowed by other factors like wind. It does make me feel a bit more confident when shooting for score/meat.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top