JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all!

I took my brand new Ruger SR-22 pistol to the range today for the first time. My first impressions were very favorable. The ten-round magazines loaded easily, and clicked into place smoothly and securely. Grip angle was comfortable, and the sight picture was excellent. Overall, the gun felt very solid in my hand for such a small piece.

I was shooting CCI standard velocity 40 grain solid point ammo at 7 yards. After a bit of fiddling and adjusting the sights, I was able to make all 10 rounds connect. The trigger was crisp, broke with very little effort, and had a nice solid 'click' when it reset.

My shooting was slow and deliberate as I was taking time to run a bore snake through the barrel after every couple magazines. At 50 feet, I was able to put 6 of 10 rounds in a silver dollar sized bulls eye. I am sure the pistol can do better, I can't right now! But that is why bought a .22 pistol to practice with.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase, and look forward to trying some different ammo types and some higher velocity stuff. Today I shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTEs. Now off to clean and reassemble my new baby.
Chris

I love my SR22, such a fun gun to shoot. Did you notice lead build up in the barrel? After 600 rounds I had a significant amount in there that was a pain to clean.

No, I did not see that, BUT....I only shot 200 rounds, and I ran a bore snake with a little cleaner through the barrel every 20-30 rounds while I was breaking her in.
Chris

Got over 1000+ rounds through mine. Not one hiccup shooting crappy bulk ammo of all brands, grains. No lead build up, but I clean it every time I shoot it. Good accuracy. Waaay too much fun to shoot! Awesome pistol and good alternative to Walther P-22. Nice machined Aluminum Alloy slide vs. cast Zinc slide on the P-22. The funnest gun I own!

I got my hands on one a few days ago, used. Put over three hundred rounds of various brands of ammo through it. Federal bulk, CCI mini mags, Stingers and Winchester XPert HP's bulk. The Winchesters did FTF once. It didn't pick up the round from the mag. I also tried Peters.....terrible ammo. Some barely made it out of the barrel. Several FTF's in Peters ammo. Other than that, when I pulled the trigger, it made a loud noise.

I had a problem with the mag release button sticking. Must have been some dirt caught in it. Blew it out with an air hose/gun and it works good now.

The rear of the trigger guard next to the mag release button has a sharp point that was making my thumb sore (both sides). Using a jewelers file, I removed the points and now it even releases the mags easier, without poking my thumb.

magrelease.jpg

magrelease.jpg

I have a Walther P22 and it would be nice if someone who has both of these would do a comparison. The Walther is already threaded, for an adaptor, which is nice. Plus I put a bright red fiber sight on the front and it made a world of difference. The SR22 can be threaded for $65 (posted in great deals). If people said there was a reason it was substantially better than a P22 or GSG1911-22 I'd be game.

That is a well done write up. My biggest factor(s) when choosing the Ruger were:
1. Cost. I Paid $310 for it brand new
2. I have read over and over about Walther's being ammo picky. The Ruger eats everything.
3. It's a Ruger! Great customer service.

I have a SR22 and I love it. It's so hard not to love... I've put 600 - 700 rounds through mine so far. Maybe more, honestly I haven't been keeping track, but I know for sure I've gone through at least 1 1/2 box's of the bulk stuff that come 550 to a box.

No problems whatsoever. I didn't even need to adjust my sights.

I want another one to have side by side contests with my friends.

I have a Walther P22 and it would be nice if someone who has both of these would do a comparison. The Walther is already threaded, for an adaptor, which is nice. Plus I put a bright red fiber sight on the front and it made a world of difference. The SR22 can be threaded for $65 (posted in great deals). If people said there was a reason it was substantially better than a P22 or GSG1911-22 I'd be game.

I shot my SR22 and my wife's P22 back to back. Both worked great, shot about 1000 rounds of Wally worlds cheapest bulk ammo through both with only 1 FTF in either. It really seems to come down to little differences like how to change grip size, mag eject option and de-cocker. Tit-for-tat I'm happy shooting either one (though my SR22 was almost $100 cheaper then the P22). The 1 hiccup I see with the SR22 is some of the early released models would get metal shavings in them from the slide rubbing against the release lever. I haven't personally dealt with this yet, but from what I've read it appears to be a cosmetic issue more then anything and Ruger has been very helpful in replacing people's slides who experience the problem.

I've shot 3 1/2 bricks of 525 Federal through the SR22 with probably only 3 FTF. The only downside to this pistol is the lack a threaded barrel. I know you can send it to people and have it threaded but there is a pretty big line right now. Hoping Ruger releases one soon! Also watching videos on Youtube of it, apparently others are having issues with the takedown lever breaking since its plastic. I've shot both the P22 and this and I would choose the SR22 hands down.

TippyTop I heard same thing about the takedown lever. I was doing my research on the sr22 expecting to buy one, untill i started reading too many forum posts about the takedown lever sheering off and the slide flying down range. I decided to hold of on getting one untill I found out if the problem was a few isolated cases or a major design flaw needing a recal.

I picked up an SR22 the one with the laser on it. $425.00 out the door at MKTactical. I took it apart and lubed it, adjusted the laser and went to the range. 200 rounds fired perfect no problems. I'm thinking its a keeper

Hey there SR22 owners, I recently bought the ruger and am very satisfied with it. However there were a few instances when the slide would not go into full battery, has anyone dealt with this or have any suggestions?

No, even when I took it out of the box it shot and returned to battery every time. I did disassemble and lightly lube it first. Also, try lightly polishing your feed ramp. With new guns, that can make the little difference necessary while it is breaking in.
Hope this helps!
Chris

How would threading the barrel be an asset for a suppressor on the SR22 when the barrel does not extend out of the slide? I was also considering the SIG which came with the barrel threaded and thread cap for it. The SIG barrel extended farther out of the slide. Is there an extended threaded barrel available for it factory or aftermarket? I did not know about the take down lever problem until this form, Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top