JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually have had this problem, but it doesn't start happening to me until I put about 300ish rounds through it and the oil seemed to burn away. I started using M Pro 7 lubricant and haven't had the issue happen again.

i love mine, put maybe 300 rnds through it. shoots great. im no expert, but at 10 yds i was putting 8/10 in a silver dollar target, using winchester white box .22

For those with the SR22 and worried about the take-down lever. Mine has over 1200 rounds through it and the lever is showing some signs of a depression where the slide hits it. I think it would eventually fail, probably sooner rather than later. From the Ruger Forums, I learned about a fix and I tried it. It works!!!! Put an "O" ring (1/4" ID x 3/8" OD) over the guide rod and spring. I installed one this morning and fired 60 rounds of Federal bulk, 40 rounds of CCI Mini Mags and 20 CCI Stingers. The "O" ring still looks new and it cushions the strike of the slide on the lever. I have no doubt that it will save wear and tear on the lever. The "O" ring did not cause any problems installing or removing the slide and the operation of the pistol is not hampered either. It functions normally. I test fired it with the "O" ring dry, but when I cleaned the gun, I did put a drop of oil on it.

Can you provide a link to the forums where you saw this? Also ditto on pictures....
I make sure my take down lever is fully locked in place before shooting in hopes it doesn't wear, I heard if it is slightly out of place it increases the wear.
So far 1000 rounds and no problems not one jam! Love this thing!

For those with the SR22 and worried about the take-down lever. Mine has over 1200 rounds through it and the lever is showing some signs of a depression where the slide hits it. I think it would eventually fail, probably sooner rather than later. From the Ruger Forums, I learned about a fix and I tried it. It works!!!! Put an "O" ring (1/4" ID x 3/8" OD) over the guide rod and spring. I installed one this morning and fired 60 rounds of Federal bulk, 40 rounds of CCI Mini Mags and 20 CCI Stingers. The "O" ring still looks new and it cushions the strike of the slide on the lever. I have no doubt that it will save wear and tear on the lever. The "O" ring did not cause any problems installing or removing the slide and the operation of the pistol is not hampered either. It functions normally. I test fired it with the "O" ring dry, but when I cleaned the gun, I did put a drop of oil on it.

"O" ring, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD. Purchased at our local home center, .24 ea. Should be available at any hardware store, auto parts store or home center. Slide it over the guide rod and spring. I ran it dry for my tests, but thinking a drop of oil right on thed ring won't hurt.

I'll check the condition of the ring each time I clean the pistol. If it shows signs of wear, I'll replace it. I suspect it will last many hundreds, if not thousands of rounds.

SR22ORing.jpg

The Battery for the SR22 laser are $6.00 at Bi-mart each. Energizer#2L76. Also 5 for $10.00 online these are #CR1/3N as was in laser as new. I installed the o-ring dampner, it seemed to feel more dampened just racking the slide. Thanks for the info on this. An aftermarket Target Barrel 1 inch longer and threaded with a threadcap would be nice. Along with a black anodized aluminum take down lever.

I gave the "O" ring fix a good test yesterday and noticed some problems. First thing I noticed is that I was getting many more FTF's (failure to feed's) with Federal bulk ammo. Before the "O" ring, FTF's with any ammo were few and far between, like 1%. After, Federal bulk was around 40%. Mini Mags were flawless. All I fired were Federal bulk and Mini Mags.

I'm assuming the recoil is too light with the bulk ammo to compress the "O" ring enough to pickup the next cartridge in the magazine. It must be a border line case. Perhaps the ammo has differences in the powder charge to make some work and some not.

The "O" ring did do it's job, however, as there is no further damage to the stop/takedown lever. Damage to the "O" ring did occur. It flattened out and became frayed over ~300 rounds. As it flattened, the FTF's rate improved (decreased).

I consider the "O" ring to be a bandaid "fix" and I believe, I'll remove it and shoot the gun until the stop fails, then send the gun back to Ruger. All the "O" ring is doing is limiting my ammo choices and postponing the inevitable.

I consider the "O" ring to be a bandaid "fix" and I believe, I'll remove it and shoot the gun until the stop fails, then send the gun back to Ruger. All the "O" ring is doing is limiting my ammo choices and postponing the inevitable.

That is my thinking as well. Ruger has excellent customer service, and when the inevitable recall goes out, they'll retrofit your pistol and give you a free mag for your trouble!

I had both. There is no comparison. The ruger is better made, shoots better, feels better in the hand. Front sights kept falling off the Walther. Really, I have no ax to grind with either brand. The ruger makes you want to shelve your higher calibers it is so fun.

I put some more ammo through the SR22,some Stingers,Yellowjacks and some Target rounds. Seems to be getting more accurate..Shot the SR22 back to back with a Ruger MKIII Hunter little differance in performance/patterns on paper. Way different feel when shooting the two though. The O-ring/Buffer took a beating but did its job no feed or eject-cycle problems. The Laser is fun but not needed. Still happy with the Pistol it is alot of fun to shoot.

I've had both! The P22 is a pain in the *** to take down. Ruger taked down in 30secs. They both shoot really well. My Ruger didn't like peters. Everything else shot great. P22 doesn't really like the peters ammo either. I like the mag release on the Ruger much better!

Can you provide a link to the forums where you saw this? Also ditto on pictures....
I make sure my take down lever is fully locked in place before shooting in hopes it doesn't wear, I heard if it is slightly out of place it increases the wear.
So far 1000 rounds and no problems not one jam! Love this thing!

Check out rimfire central, especially this thread on the take down lever and the O ring fix:

Take Down Lever Failure... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I think I'm going to stay away from the sr22 for awhile. Almost bought it two months ago. Now I'm thinking I'll go with a SW MP22.

I gave the "O" ring fix a good test yesterday and noticed some problems. First thing I noticed is that I was getting many more FTF's (failure to feed's) with Federal bulk ammo. Before the "O" ring, FTF's with any ammo were few and far between, like 1%. After, Federal bulk was around 40%. Mini Mags were flawless. All I fired were Federal bulk and Mini Mags.

I'm assuming the recoil is too light with the bulk ammo to compress the "O" ring enough to pickup the next cartridge in the magazine. It must be a border line case. Perhaps the ammo has differences in the powder charge to make some work and some not.

The "O" ring did do it's job, however, as there is no further damage to the stop/takedown lever. Damage to the "O" ring did occur. It flattened out and became frayed over ~300 rounds. As it flattened, the FTF's rate improved (decreased).

I have noticed that as we (my wife and I, it's her pistol you know, ha ha) have got more shooting time in with good ammo we have had fewer issues with the Ruger. I don't know of any 22LR that I have ever owned handgun or rifle that did not have a few issues. I do think running good ammo helps a lot of this.

What is the O ring fix supposed to accomplish, I must have missed that?

Apples and oranges. This is not a "target pistol." It is a fun plinker, is accurate and fun. It's a good training tool for teaching new shooters, and working on marksmanship fundamentals for all levels of shooting. I have shot 22/45s and Mk IIs, I went with a Browning Buckmark for my target pistol. They are all excellent target pistols, and will shoot tighter groups than the SR22. But for a fun gun, I LOVE my SR22.
Chris

Not sure I know what you mean by apples to oranges. Wouldnt it be more like Red Delicious to Granny Smith? Both shoot .22 and are semi auto. Does the 22/45 shoot more accurate than the SR22?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top