JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger M77 Mk II chambered in .223 rem. Serial# indicates it was manufactured in 1989. I bought it 6 years ago used and have only fired it about 20x in that time but it shoots well at the 100 yd line. Had a potential buyer looking it over, and he thought the barrel was not the original but a Hawkeye barrel. He thought the barrel too short and too thin. The barrel measures 19.25" and .500" at the muzzle, OAL is 42". The barrel is stamped as a Sturm Ruger barrel. Anyone have an opinion? I sent the same question to Ruger for their feedback

It's an UltraLight.

From the factory, the muzzle is 1/2" diameter.

The barrel measures 19-1/4" from the exterior of the receiver to the muzzle, but it's actually a 20" barrel, measured from the bolt face to the muzzle.

These were very available, and with different options and calibers. Blued or stainless, wood or synthetic stock, and some had a black forend tip.

Very desirable.

P1020657.JPG

P1020659.JPG

Last Edited:
Got a reply from Ruger, as Wayno suspected this rifle is an Ultralight model, no barrel modifications. Thanks guys. Btw, is there a good source to help me determine values of some firearms I intend to sell?

There's always GunBroker, but sometimes you get two stubborn guys outbidding each other and it only drives the price up.
A couple of days later, somebody posts the same firearm up for bid and nobody wants it.
It makes you wonder what happened to the guy who didn't win the bid.

Try looking on RiverofGuns website. That can give you an idea of what's up on asking prices.

InkedP1020669_LI.jpg

These values are placed by Ruger Collectors. I agree with these figures. It takes a very strong specimen to be in the 98%+ range.

WAYNO: Right on for price. Although I had difficulty selling the last one I owned.

ol Bust Head: How well is well when you say "shoots well at the 100 yard line"? I have had 5 or 6 of these and just couldn't find one that was accurate. And felt recoil was pretty bad. I thought they would be a great lightweight rifle to carry around on hikes. But with the inaccuracy and recoil I gave up on them. I ended up with an all-weather stainless with a boatpaddle stock. Relatively lightweight and great accuracy with the 24 inch barrel.

These pencil barrels heat up quickly, and then the groups open up. But they're not meant for long shooting sessions. They're meant for easy carrying. Mine is in .30-06, and the first shots are always right on the money.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews