JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys that open everything and discard packages immediately.
Do you dump all your ammo into cans too? Or stack it off in factory boxes?
Depends on the type of ammo, but typically in factory boxes in ammo cans. Plinker shtuffs might get dumped loose into cans, though.

With all the mag ban talk and photo sharing, I've seen a few folks with large stashes and their mags are most all still in the original plastic packaging. Is that so they retain resale value... or... prolong the mag life... or... something?

I always tear em open as soon as they arrive for inspection, test loading/unloading and put them in rotation with my other mags.

Am I missing something?
If you leave them in the plastic after Dec 8th you may get charged with intent to distribute !

You guys that open everything and discard packages immediately.
Do you dump all your ammo into cans too? Or stack it off in factory boxes?
I used to dump it into containers that were easy to take with me to the range. Then one day I ran into some REAL problems with some Win Steel case 9mm. Scary enough I was not about to keep shooting it. Problem was I had multiple hundreds of rounds left and no way to know if it was all the same lot#. So I tossed it all. After that the stuff stays in the original boxes. Still pisses me off thinking of how I had to toss all that ammo. 🤬

I keep them in the plastic so I don't accidentally get my DNA or fingerprints on them…… Hahaha.

And it keeps them fresh longer. Prolongs the expiration date…..

Is it safe to use after the expiration date?
Not safe for the guy on the receiving end, and the user may suffer from some splatter of bodily fluid and graphic images….

expired mags = pink mist.

I used to dump it into containers that were easy to take with me to the range. Then one day I ran into some REAL problems with some Win Steel case 9mm. Scary enough I was not about to keep shooting it. Problem was I had multiple hundreds of rounds left and no way to know if it was all the same lot#. So I tossed it all. After that the stuff stays in the original boxes. Still pisses me off thinking of how I had to toss all that ammo.
Could definitely see such as a problem. I cut a card from a box with lot info & tape it to the can. One lot per can, normally. -As a can dwindles & I start a new lot, i'll zip lock bag the dwindled bunch with its lot card.

Now we're mostly shooting my reloads, with the manufactured in cans/cases put up.

As towards magazines in packaging vs not, it depends on what's easier to store. Plastic bagged mags are easy as is, hard plastic cased mags not as easy (in quantity). So any in the hard plastic are opened and stored.

However, we have plenty in use/proven. Other folks may not have plenty proven, so should check enough for function before putting the extras up.

I noticed in another recent mag ban state, a lot of places are selling out of the real expensive magazines like ones from sig for the MPX and especially the curved 30rnd magazines for the MP5, those things are freaking expensive. o_O
And from what I've seen people are actually vacuum sealing some of their magazines along with ammunition....

Could definitely see such as a problem. I cut a card from a box with lot info & tape it to the can. One lot per can, normally. -As a can dwindles & I start a new lot, i'll zip lock bag the dwindled bunch with its lot card.
I had "heard" now and then name brand factory ammo "problems" but really often did not believe it, till this happened. It did of course make me stop buying that ammo. Then I just stopped buying any Win ammo. Ever since then I also take a sample from every new case of ammo I buy. Always take a box of each new case to the range then stack the new stuff in storage. I had been hearing problems with Win WB ever since I found the web but had never seen it myself. After this mess I burned up all the Win WB stuff I had and don't buy it either. Good idea to somehow keep track of the stuff just in case. Has not happened to me yet but all these panic shortages often kind of scared me. Thinking of plants pushing 24/7 trying to catch up often worried would QC start to slip. Thankfully does not seem to have happened.

I've read here that used guns are bad. So I never shot anything. Just buy what the next hot gat is and hold onto it in the box until someone online says it's not good anymore. Then I sell it used, only broken in but brand new, basically. Usually all for + 50% over new too, because I kept it in the package. My Instagram account looks amazing though.

With all the mag ban talk and photo sharing, I've seen a few folks with large stashes and their mags are most all still in the original plastic packaging. Is that so they retain resale value... or... prolong the mag life... or... something?

I always tear em open as soon as they arrive for inspection, test loading/unloading and put them in rotation with my other mags.

Am I missing something?
A few years ago the German government was dumping their supply of G3 magazines for really cheap! I picked up 20 steel magazines and 20 aluminum magazines for my HK91. I have unwrapped and used one of each. I already had several magazines for my HK91 and didn't really need any more but the price was too good to pass up. If I was smart I would put a bunch of them up for sale right now. Other than these HK mags I don't personally feel a need to be a magazine hoarder even though I remember going through the Clinton hicap magazine ban. Two per firearm are enough for me, maybe 3 if they are made out of plastic.

Last Edited:
I am going to store mine in this 10rnd packaging.

1669074255736.png

Fitting the drum mags in these 10rnd bags is going to take some finesse.

Last Edited:
I unwrap all my mags and then stuff them in Magnum XL condoms. That way if the law is coming I can keister it real quick. It hurts but not as bad as it does in prison.

I keep them in their NIB original packaging. They stay minty fresh, retain their value, and are big hits at 'Magacon'. They also make great Christmas, birthday, and anniversary gifts. I used to advertise them on Katel Records, AS SEEN ON TV, and have hi-cap magaware parties.

I keep my stash of them in a small room, down in the basement, . . . and sometimes, . . . late at night, . . . I visit them . . . and we talk dirty.

And we laugh and laugh and laugh; and they lived happily ever after.

THE END

I am just finishing up organizing and inventorying my mags. A lot of them were still in the original packages. Some I have left that way, but sooner or later, each one will be tested in a gun with ammo - at least once. The ones in bulky packaging I have mostly removed from those, set the packaging aside in a separate box, put the mags in plastic ammo cans and put labels on the cans.

Yes, if I have the original packaging, if I decide to sell them, then I put them back in the packaging.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top