JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all the mag ban talk and photo sharing, I've seen a few folks with large stashes and their mags are most all still in the original plastic packaging. Is that so they retain resale value... or... prolong the mag life... or... something?

I always tear em open as soon as they arrive for inspection, test loading/unloading and put them in rotation with my other mags.

Am I missing something?

I have never done that so have to "guess" they are speculating? Hoping for another round of panic buying? Since they manage to get a good panic going every so often pretty safe to assume another one will come along. Look at the price of stuff when there is a full panic going on.:eek:
Guess if the stuff in demand is in original packaging it would bring a premium at times like that. I know for decades I always made a point of saving the box every new gun came in. Since for some reason having the "original" box always seemed to make it better at time to sell it. So next great panic shortage mags in wrappers will I guess be worth the top of whatever the market will bear?

I have never done that so have to "guess" they are speculating? Hoping for another round of panic buying? Since they manage to get a good panic going every so often pretty safe to assume another one will come along. Look at the price of stuff when there is a full panic going on.:eek:
Guess if the stuff in demand is in original packaging it would bring a premium at times like that. I know for decades I always made a point of saving the box every new gun came in. Since for some reason having the "original" box always seemed to make it better at time to sell it. So next great panic shortage mags in wrappers will I guess be worth the top of whatever the market will bear?
That makes some sense. I didn't consider the buying to profiteer angle. ;)

I was thinking maybe it preserves them in some meaningful way or somethin' that someone might share more info on(?) Like electronics come in special antistatic bags... just wondered if there was a reason they come bagged individually and a reason to keep them out of circulation.

I'm thinking you're probably right though. I dinna thunk of that.

Last Edited:
I think I am getting up close to the four digits in the number of mags I have on hand but I only open them when I need another. I lived through the 94 AWB and finding pre ban mags for some things was an expensive and challenging proposition. I have so many so I can set myself and my children up for generations, and to hand out or sell.

I had several unopened 100 packs of Gen 1 Pmags that I was able to dip into and get $60 a mag in the mag panic after sandy hook. I took that money and replaced them with Gen2 and gen3 later on when the panic died down.

About half of mine are still in the packaging. I buy Magazines that I've used before and know they work, then just stick the new ones away until someday when/if I need them. I guess it's kind of like buying new packages of socks or thermals. I may not need them for a year or two, so I just stick them away in the original package's for use latter.

It also keeps the dust out of them I guess, so there's that.

As someone with quite a number of mags, it's not a profiteering exercise for me, but more like I just don't need them all now. I have a lot set aside for when my current mags need replacing and replacements may not be an available option. With the way things have been going lately, I feel compelled to think generationally about some needs. Certain guns won't be available (at least around here for the foreseeable future) along with their mags. If restrictions continue to grow, the availability across the board may continue to deteriorate. Then, when my kids inherit the collection I've amassed, the only source of magazines (and possibly ammo) might be what I gather. So for now, I keep them in their packages, properly stored and sealed away. Someday it could mean they have resources when none are to be found. Or maybe they have something of value they can sell if that's what the situation calls for. I can't predict the future and if all goes as hoped, the items I have MIGHT only be worth the current price plus a little inflation. But if it goes another way, at least we have more options.

TLDR; What I buy now is an attempt to hedge against worse things happening in the future.

About half of mine are still in the packaging. I buy Magazines that I've used before and know they work, then just stick the new ones away until someday when/if I need them. I guess it's kind of like buying new packages of socks or thermals. I may not need them for a year or two, so I just stick them away in the original package's for use latter.

It also keeps the dust out of them I guess, so there's that.
That makes sense too. I tend to open them, do a physical in case any need to be returned/replaced, give the internal walls a squirt of dry silicone then put them in rotation to even out cycle wear. I do tend to cycle the windowed less frequently though and reserve them as "primary SD mags". The rest all look too much alike to keep track of. ;)

I guess if I kept some packaged that wouldn't be an issue, hu.:s0155: My OCD doesn't allow me to leave them alone without a full physical on arrival though.

I feel compelled to think generationally about some needs.

TLDR; What I buy now is an attempt to hedge against worse things happening in the future.
I can fully relate to that. I have absolutely no personal need for all the mags I have and intentionally stock deeper for the next generations.

To that end though I also purchase stocks of replacement springs and followers when a great deal presents itself. They take up less room and basically give you a "new" mag as needed at lower cost than a full mag body. Not that I want to encourage any competition when the time comes, but if 114 persists and FFL's start shuttering thier doors.... there is gonna be a whole lot of excess parts inventory going up for sale, and quite likely, at fire sale pricing.

Forget about that last part though.. please.;)

That makes sense too. I tend to open them, do a physical in case any need to be returned/replaced, give the internal walls a squirt of dry silicone then put them in rotation to even out cycle wear. I do tend to cycle the windowed less frequently though and reserve them as "primary SD mags". The rest all look too much alike to keep track of. ;)

I guess if I kept some packaged that wouldn't be an issue, hu.:s0155: My OCD doesn't allow me to leave them alone without a full physical on arrival though.
Glock mags is what I have a couple lifetimes worth of even though I do not own a single Glock. All my PCC's take them. As I bought more every time there was a sale I would load them up next range trip. Give them a run, then they get lubed and tossed in a box that kept getting larger over time. Finally got to where I stopped buying as I had so many. Still when another panic would roll around and then end I would find myself tempted to buy some more.:s0140:
Finally had to just stop since I have a couple lifetimes worth and I have never seen one yet actually wear out. Have a few happy sticks that have been left loaded for a couple decades now. Now and then I grab a couple of them when heading out to the range and they all still just work like new. Its why now days any time I see a new PCC unless it uses Glock mags I do not really consider getting one.

Glock mags is what I have a couple lifetimes worth........ Still when another panic would roll around and then end I would find myself tempted to buy some more.:s0140:
Tell me about it! I dunno how many times I've decided, "I'm done on G mags".... only to be tempted beyond my ability to resist. (More scheduled to arrive.. tomorrow!)

Like AR's though, glonks seem to accumulate on their own. In the past few months I've acquired 2 G19 slides and a G27 slide that I have absolutely no "need' for any of them. Completely set myself up for some of those nifty G mag deals that came out this past week... damn it!!

Fair enough though. The grandkids are aging up and sure to be more of them. It's easy enough to justify the glonks for their first handguns when they come of age.

Glock mags is what I have a couple lifetimes worth of even though I do not own a single Glock. All my PCC's take them. As I bought more every time there was a sale I would load them up next range trip. Give them a run, then they get lubed and tossed in a box that kept getting larger over time. Finally got to where I stopped buying as I had so many. Still when another panic would roll around and then end I would find myself tempted to buy some more.:s0140:
Finally had to just stop since I have a couple lifetimes worth and I have never seen one yet actually wear out. Have a few happy sticks that have been left loaded for a couple decades now. Now and then I grab a couple of them when heading out to the range and they all still just work like new. Its why now days any time I see a new PCC unless it uses Glock mags I do not really consider getting one.
I store most of my mags in these big steel drawers, and I have one of the drawers dedicated solely to 33rd glock stendos, 40rd ETS glock stendos, 30rd Glock 10mm stendos, and magpul glock drum mags. I love my PCCs.

Most of my mags are in the "user" category, so most get opened on arrival or as needed, even if not immediately put into service. Don't really have a large stock of unopened stashed mags. Good luck to any "heirs" who might come out of the woodwork- they should have fun sorting thru my stuff :p !...
My regret will be the inability to attend the pursuant yard sale/auction with a fist fulla $$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!

Last Edited:
I am SO DAMN glad they all but stopped using those things.:mad:
I used to HATE getting stuff packed in them. No matter how careful I tried to be the things seemed to end up everywhere..
Maybe too late now, but someone coulda told ya... they wouldn't have been so bad if you woulda just put some clothes on while unboxing.

Just sayin for future reference.

I keep enough in circulation for my needs, the rest are still in original packaging for the most part. I buy what's known to function as designed.

Resale has never been a thought thou as I really don't sell anything that goes bang or much of the related accessories.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top