JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting a new .22 pistol and was just wondering what you all thought about these two. The price point is about the same, both made in the good old USA and have a great reputation for durability and accuracy.

No suppressor that's for sure, no red dot or scope, most favorite shooting game is what I call happy can but can be played with golf balls as well.

Either are great guns, I have shot both extensively. The Ruger is tricky to reassemble but once you get the hang of it, its not bad. Also keep in mind the serialized portion of the Ruger is the upper and the Browning its the lower, so if you want a new barrel for the Ruger you have to go through an FFL and pay for a background check as its basically buying a new gun.

I have 3 browning with tac sol barrels and they all shot flawless ...i also have a Roger 22/45 which I have not grown accustom yet but others that have like them alot. to me its a toss up.

The first handgun I ever shot is still in my safe. Ruger Standard 22. (What they called the MKIII when it first came out) I had a MKII Competition slabside for a while. It was so tight it was a real pain to get back together, but that was the only dislike. Both of these guns were extremely accurate. I've no experience with the Browning, but can recommend the Ruger.
In fact, if I was looking for another, I'd snoop around for a used one. See 'em on here often enough.

I have both the Buckmark hunter and the MkIII fluted hunter.Never sell either one.They both shoot as perfect as I can.And sometimes that's pretty good.
I have a red dot on the buckmark but I can shoot it about the same without
Both are great fun

I have a much older BuckMark (made in Canada) that I don't like nearly as much as my Ruger MKII. Extra magazines for the Ruger are easier and cheaper to come by than Brownings. Parts for Brownings are generally harder to find, and when you do find them, they are at a premium.:eek:

I have a much older BuckMark (made in Canada) that I don't like nearly as much as my Ruger MKII. Extra magazines for the Ruger are easier and cheaper to come by than Brownings. Parts for Brownings are generally harder to find, and when you do find them, they are at a premium.:eek:

I have never had a problem finding Buckmark parts and magazines. The magazines can be more expensive then the Rugers, but from what I've found it's maybe only 5 bucks.

Yankees-Red Sox, Coke-Pepsi, Chevy-Ford, Coffee-Tea, 9MM-45 ACP, Ruger-Buckmark
These debates go on endlessly.
Only way to be sure is to get both and decide for yourself...

Last Edited:
I have never had a problem finding Buckmark parts and magazines. The magazines can be more expensive then the Rugers, but from what I've found it's maybe only 5 bucks.
The last Browning mags I could find anywhere were in Missouri, and they were nearly $75.00 a piece. Then, since they weren't for my particular model, I had to modify the baseplates so they would securely latch up in the magazine well. Such is life.

The last Browning mags I could find anywhere were in Missouri, and they were nearly $75.00 a piece. Then, since they weren't for my particular model, I had to modify the baseplates so they would securely latch up in the magazine well. Such is life.
I have picked them up at Sportsman's regularly, for 25-30. Wife has 3 extra for her gun. Wonder if it was an early challenger magazine.

I have a '53 standard Ruger (Black Bird, not Red) and it still shoots great. I have a 22/45 Lite but I have not shot it yet. I love my SR-22. Wish I had a Buckmark too, maybe later

I was having your same debate about a year ago and I settled on the ruger mark 3. I shot both of them and read countless reviews. My only issue with my gun is that it won't shoot anything else besides CCI or Federal. Remington is a guarantee problem. I do have alot of aftermarket parts so that may play a roll in it. Either way you you won't go wrong between the 2. GOOD LUCK!

Both are nice guns. We've got a buckmark, a mark 3 heavy barrel and a 22/45. I prefer the more upright grip angle of the buckmark and 22/45. Between those two, I usually grab the ruger. It is more robust and seems better made than the browning and it has a better trigger with volquartsen sear, trigger, and a few other bits. However, the buckmark has a very good trigger and all it needs is a heggis flip. You really can't go wrong.

My vote goes for a ruger mark III, red dot sight and a pair of target grips. I like the stock trigger on mine as well but ive added a few extra upgrades like the volquartzen bolt tune up kit and a hammer bushing. Now its all about hitting that tiny red dot at 50 feet one handed...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top