JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like this design and concept very much but prefer the orignal Steyr over the porous castings of the Ruger. I built a similar designed LH Remington 700 Police At is a fine rifle. Steyr never made a LH Scout rifle........but I do have a LH manlicher carbine that I love. They were only made for a few months are are very rare. I struggle with the EER scope and mounting so prefer a conventionally mounted scope. A short carbine in 308 is tough to beat.
I would have sprung for the Steyr, but it was twice as much money as the Ruger at the time of purchase. I was already stretching over my budget at the time, but made it happen anyway. In the 2 years it sat in the safe, I could have saved up enough for the Steyr, but hindsight is 20/20. I do think it's kind of BS that Ruger used a polymer mag well in something that had the Gunsite name and attached to Cooper's legacy...but I guess that was one of the factors that affected the final cost. I would very much like to shoot a Steyr scout at some point.

I like the concept of the "Scout" except for the scope, it's my belief and experience with real scout rifles, that a scope isn't needed or as handy as folks think! Between the Remington 600, the 03A4, and two Ruger Hawkeye Guides, I got the scout thing covered, and not a one has a scope or any provision for one! All 4 rifles are sub MOA with decent ammo, with the 03 and the .338 Ruger Guide being well into 1/2 Moa! :)
Still, Ruger did it's homework on the Scout and it's a super sweet rifle! :D

I think the scope is part of the concept because it's of the idea that it's everything you would need in "one" rifle. The owner should be able to repel borders, get out of a jam and even get meat for the pot.

The old quote that was popularized by Cooper was " Beware of the man with one gun, as he probably knows how to use it"

@Joe13 are you still loving your Gunsite Scout with that Leupold FX-II 2.5x Scout Scope? I'm pondering the same configuration.

If yes, do you have a recommendation for a particular set of rings (ie., height) for the scope?

@Joe13 are you still loving your Gunsite Scout with that Leupold FX-II 2.5x Scout Scope? I'm pondering the same configuration.

If yes, do you have a recommendation for a particular set of rings (ie., height) for the scope?

I loved that setup until I hit some financial trouble and had to sell it for bills.

If I had the cash I would do it again.

I used leupold medium quick disconnect rings.

Easy to take off and use the ghost sights and was suprisingly close to dead on when replaced on the rail.

It was intuitive to keep both eyes open and the gun would naturally come up to my line of sight without issue.

Also, I've seen a few posts about how they aren't super accurate but mine would stack in one hole at 125 yards. Pretty much wherever the cross hairs were when the trigger broke is where a hole would appear.

I think they are a good looking gun and I've told myself I'd buy another when I have more disposable cash.

I have a .308 and a 5.56. They are my main rifles for the hunting and steel shooting I do. The 5.56 is a 1/8 twist and likes the 62gr green tips my AR likes so win/win. The .308 has the Burris Scout scope and the 5.56 has a Leatherwood Hi-Lux 2-7x Scout Scope, both in Warne low QR rings. Both are the polymer stocks. I have taken rabbit to mule deer with the pair and shot steel to 600 yds. I prefer the AI pattern Magpul and Ruger poly mags; the steel mags they came with are still in the box. Have had them about 5 years, I think, maybe 4 for the 5.56, and if I am not shooting a .22LR CZ, I am shooting them.
BTW, I owned a Steyr Scout for about 6 mos. Nice rifle but for the price and no controlled feed, and flimsy bipod (IMHO), I prefer the Rugers.
Regards,

ezra

Was interesting rereading my old posts here.

That was a good rifle.

By the way my JB Weld inletted stock bedding is still 100% on all those I've bedded using that method.

10B3F51D-DDD1-4906-B6D0-0600A503F16C.jpeg

stepping up as another GSR fan, also I couldn't stop with just one....

both 556/308; I had the Burris Scout 2-7 scope and had no trouble in punishing the 200 yd gong at will. Time has corrupted both my discipline and my eye sockets, so haven't shot 'em much recently but did manage to round up some decent illuminated Leopold firedot scopes.

The weather gods have been interfering with my plans of sighting them in ever since Thanksgiving, when a major outing with buddies was disrupted by infortuitous meteorological concatenation of circumstance.

That will change with the coming season, as soon as the snow melts enough.

They really are great rifles. I had no problem ringing a torso Silhouette plate at 250yds with the stock iron sights...I can't wait to get a scout scope on that bad boy. Looking to stretch out to 400yds with the irons first though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top