JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, so I have a question. I've been looking at the Gunsite Scout for a while now. As a lefty I've had to basically learn to adapt in a right handed mans world. Throughout the Marines and beyond it was never "oh hey here's a lefty model" it was always " figure it out, make it work.

That being said Ive been hunting for a left handed model for a while. Im at the point I am just going to order one. My question is, do you think its worth matching the bolt or should I just work with the right hand version. I don't own any bolts, I have shot them before and just end up making it work. you think the difference in having a true left handed Scout would improve my experience?

As a lefty w/ a LH GSR the feedback is hold out for it. Once you use a LH bolt rifle, the concept of "just make it work" starts to look foolish. Reaching over a RH bolt slows down a follow up shot and tends to make you lose vision on the target.
FWIW, I'm a former Marine, used righty bolts for years, made it work, now I'm old enough to say s@rew that-- I'm going to do it comfortably and correctly. There is absolutely no advantage in the field, and a couple of disadvantages are introduced.
Why should you settle?

Thanks. I didn't imagine Id get a left handed scout owners perspective! They do exist! You're right. What's sad is Ill basically be learning to use a bolt action all over again the correct way at 35.

Edit: I called Bimart and they can order me a LH for 830 out the door. That's not bad. Ill be heading over tomorrow to do the paperwork.

I'm a LH shooter if you primarily shoot off-hand then go w/a LH action but if you shoot from a supported position, prone, bench, bipod shoot a RH action. You will find that you can work the action without removing your eye from the sight, even reload easier. I have a LH Savage BA for hunting but my precision guns are RH actions (cheaper too). I also use lever and pumps for hunting.

I get what you are saying erudne, and I don't disagree. From prone with assist shots (bipod bench rest ect) it IS super easy as a lefty firing a right hand bolt. I guess my hope is that this being a scout rifle Ill be using it more in standing / moving / rapid acquisition shots. Enjoying it as a scout rifle. Everyone I've talked to seems to really enjoy the Scout and to be honest I wouldn't mind a bit if I could get comfortable enough with it to replace my AR's as my go to.

So, I had for some reason thought the Ruger GSR used M14 magazines... no?

Any of the Magpul 7.62 mags work in the GSR?

As much as I'm not a fan of Ruger, I do find the GSR and also the 77/357 intriguing.

BTW... also left-handed and have always used "normal" guns, but have never liked "left handed" guns. Maybe just me though.

So, I had for some reason thought the Ruger GSR used M14 magazines... no?

Any of the Magpul 7.62 mags work in the GSR?

As much as I'm not a fan of Ruger, I do find the GSR and also the 77/357 intriguing.

BTW... also left-handed and have always used "normal" guns, but have never liked "left handed" guns. Maybe just me though.

They will only take Ruger Mags that I'm aware of.

I like the 5 round plastic mags because they extend down just flush with the trigger guard.

I bought the 3, 5 and 10 round plastic mags. While the metal 10 rounder that came with it is a beast, it's also a lot larger and heavier then the 10 round plastic mag.

@Joe13 I'm resurrecting this old thread cuz I just bought a GSR! I'm wondering if you still have yours...and if you still have the scout scope setup. Mine came with a Vortex over the receiver and I'm considering getting a Burris scout scope.

@Joe13 I'm resurrecting this old thread cuz I just bought a GSR! I'm wondering if you still have yours...and if you still have the scout scope setup. Mine came with a Vortex over the receiver and I'm considering getting a Burris scout scope.

It was a sad day when I sold that rifle.

I would say Scout setup if your shooting under 300 yards it's amazingly natural and the scope lands right where your looking - great brush setup.

Over 250-300 yards and I would probably go with a standard scope setup.

Your gonna love that rifle right out of the box:)

I have a GSR with a Leupold 2.5X scout scope and echo the comments of the OP. Lots of fun to shoot! Haven't taken it out to very long distances yet, but it is very handy and quick to get on target with both eyes open with this setup.

Ok, so a can was in my long term plans for my scout... I might have to move up my plans a bit lol. That really looks nice. (Not to mention, I'd like to be able to hear anything but ringing in my ears after I take a shot at a deer...).

Do you hand load sub sonics or is there a brand of ammo you prefer?

Thanks for sharing!
when u shoot at a deer, i promise you that you wont hear the shot.

Even if your brain, in some situations, exercises its option to hit the "audio exclusion" button, there is no evidence that this creates a safer situation for your ears. Said another way, even if your brain doesn't perceive gunfire, your ear drums and the structures behind them definitely are affected by the 160dB of the shot(s). There is no free lunch when it comes to your hearing health.

Even if your brain, in some situations, exercises its option to hit the "audio exclusion" button, there is no evidence that this creates a safer situation for your ears. Said another way, even if your brain doesn't perceive gunfire, your ear drums and the structures behind them definitely are affected by the 160dB of the shot(s). There is no free lunch when it comes to your hearing health.

Say what? :(

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top