JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Chris......please.... I am suggesting that I am near deaf for not taking those considerations, that you mentioned, into account long ago. :(

I do not disagree w/ your statement. OK? ;)

Not having ever hunted.

Would those electronic earmuffs be helpful while hunting? The ones we have you can crank up the volume and even hear footsteps/rustling leaves around the house.

I'd think they'd help you keep your noise signature down as well, as you could hear what you normally wouldn't.

Not having ever hunted.

Would those electronic earmuffs be helpful while hunting? The ones we have you can crank up the volume and even hear footsteps/rustling leaves around the house.

I'd think they'd help you keep your noise signature down as well, as you could hear what you normally wouldn't.

I think they would make me paranoid of every little noise!:)

@v0lcom13sn0w said that he promised a hunter wouldn't hear the shot. That may be true, but I'm suggesting that hearing damage is still occurring even when the brain is forcing audio exclusion.
what? i didnt hear u?

yeah exactly. when buck fever is happenin a lot of things change. i know i hear the shot ut my mind doesn't register that i hear the shot. ya know?

Not having ever hunted.

I never even thought about that. u might be on to something here...

Last edited by a moderator:
@v0lcom13sn0w said that he promised a hunter wouldn't hear the shot. That may be true, but I'm suggesting that hearing damage is still occurring even when the brain is forcing audio exclusion.

I'm not a doctor of any kind.
I question this, though, for one reason.
If I fire one round through my rifle without hearing protection, my ears ring.
When I'm hunting and take a shot at an animal, I don't hear it. My ears don't ring. If, however, I need to administer a coup de grace, I certainly hear it and they ring for quite a while. I attribute this to adrenaline, which allows our body to do all kinds of cool things.
So I am thinking, if it doesn't hurt, how could I have hurt it?

I know I pretty much love my peep sighted shorty Remington 03-A3 that I bought when I was 16 for $60. I cast the old Lyman 190gr spitzer for it.. unchecked, checked, pure, hardened linotype, paper patched, yada.. and black-tip ball goes through stuff pretty good too. good little gat

I could be wrong, since I am also not a doctor. I'm not sure how to explain ear ringing and it's connection to audio exclusion. But I also have heard of people, in the middle of an adrenaline dump can totally miss that they got sliced, stabbed, shot, whatever, with the pain only coming after the fight. The brain is very capable of blocking messages from the body's pain receptors. The physical damage, though, can be very real despite the brain blocking that pain.

Hearing damage may not cause pain in the moment, but it just doesn't stand to reason that adrenaline could protect the bones and cochlea just inside your ear drum.

Mas Ayoob recently interviewed a cop in a gunfight that started with firing shots from his squad car through the windshield. Though he did not really perceive the severity of the shots at the time, instead being riveting by the bad guy shooting at him, still reprts significant hearing loss after the event.

I have several 'Scout' rifles, but not a Ruger GSR; an Enfield with a short barrel, a .30-30 and a semi-auto centerfire. I am a believer in the concept, I just don't have a Ruger - if it accepted a standard mag (M1A, FN-FAL, SR-25/AR10) then I probably would have a GSR.

Would those electronic earmuffs be helpful while hunting
yes
read the literature available that describes the management of the sonic wave which is electronically clipped as it reaches a certain threshhold.

Ear damage comes in multiple packages with a variety of injury mechanisms to a variety of different physiologically sensitive tissues.

I was afflicted with a couple different episodes of severe tennitus from which I was VERY fortunate to largely recover. Meanwhile the months of turmoil & suffering had nothing to recommend the advantages of being young/dumb/lazy and stupid in having failed to take simple precautions.

I don't run any noisy gear of any kind without hearing protection nowdays.

further electronic/non-electronic commentary
Mostly the 'decent' electronic muffs have adequate circuitry to differentiate the sonic pressures of spoken voices vs noises vs gunshots, all of which have different profile.

Any sudden burst above a given decibel & frequency onset results in electronic muting of maybe up to 25dB IIRC.

While it is odd, I have walked the woods with my old PC4s (?forget the model #) and while somewhat subdued I could hear pretty well such as foot falls, the dog, etc. I've mowed with them for years. The model I favored were something under $100, were rebuilt twice by the company, and finally just pooped out.

I grew weary of shopping for the high $ models, and finally settled on a decent non-electronic version. I can still wear my hat, and if there is any question of 'too noisy' I can and will apply foam squishies for extra -dB performance.

Had some nifty custom-cast plugs that worked well but somehow 'got disappeared' .....

The plugs my club hands out cost pennies and work well by themselves.

further electronic/non-electronic commentary
Mostly the 'decent' electronic muffs have adequate circuitry to differentiate the sonic pressures of spoken voices vs noises vs gunshots, all of which have different profile.

Any sudden burst above a given decibel & frequency onset results in electronic muting of maybe up to 25dB IIRC.

While it is odd, I have walked the woods with my old PC4s (?forget the model #) and while somewhat subdued I could hear pretty well such as foot falls, the dog, etc. I've mowed with them for years. The model I favored were something under $100, were rebuilt twice by the company, and finally just pooped out.

I grew weary of shopping for the high $ models, and finally settled on a decent non-electronic version. I can still wear my hat, and if there is any question of 'too noisy' I can and will apply foam squishies for extra -dB performance.

Had some nifty custom-cast plugs that worked well but somehow 'got disappeared' .....

The plugs my club hands out cost pennies and work well by themselves.

Current electronic muffs run around $40. Less on special. Course with all kinds of fancy options can cost in the $100's.

We run the least expensive peltors at the range ($40 avg), they have an input for music or walkie talkie. Adjustable sound sensing can detect conversation next bay over, or a dozen benches down.

21db noise reduction rated, which is pretty decent given some of our handgun "BLAM!". For enclosed indoor range & loud braked rifle use I recommend ear plugs with that peltor model.

However for a single shot while hunting, 21db reduction should be ok (I'd imagine anyways).

Not having ever hunted.

I've been rethinking this. I plan on taking them out the next time I hunt deer and will use them when I find a good spot to hang out for a while.

I'm not a doctor of any kind.
I question this, though, for one reason.
If I fire one round through my rifle without hearing protection, my ears ring.
When I'm hunting and take a shot at an animal, I don't hear it. My ears don't ring. If, however, I need to administer a coup de grace, I certainly hear it and they ring for quite a while. I attribute this to adrenaline, which allows our body to do all kinds of cool things.
So I am thinking, if it doesn't hurt, how could I have hurt it?

And since posting this I read an article explaining exactly why my theory is wrong. Nuff said.

Thread resurrection!!!

I own a Ruger GSR 6822. Full disclosure, purchased in 2014 and embarrassed to say that it sat in it's factory box in the safe for 2 years before I ever took her out to shoot:oops:. Not too many good places to shoot in commie Maryland.

Fast forward to 2016, I finally got her back out of the box and was going through the paces of the cleaning process before her first time out. Upon loosening the takedown screw of the mag well, I noticed that the mag well was cracked from over tightening at the factory. Called Ruger customer service and they sent me a new mag well, no problem. I got super busy with work and winter happened, so the rifle just sat around another 6 or 7 months before I got to changing out the new mag well:oops:.

Once spring rolled around(early 2017) and I started to get a little more free time, I opened her up and went to change the mag well...something wasn't right. Ruger had sent me a new mag well, but it didn't have a mag release latch on it, but was still roll pinned, lol. I couldn't believe that someone would punch a roll pin to hold nothing in. Back on the phone with Ruger CS and they sent me another mag well, no problem.

Third times a charm! Upon receiving the newest and final mag well and chomping at the bit to get her out into the field, I attached it immediately. Got her all buttered up and ready to go, then installed a Ching Sling by The Wilderness...FINALLY, she was ready!

I took her out to the range and could not get this thing boresighted (old school method)to save my life and not even hitting paper at 50 yards. Extremely frustrated and sore after hours of breaking in the barrel with cleaning, adjustments and 60 rounds. I went home cold and defeated. That evening, I spent quite a bit of time trying to get her boresighted and thought OK, I got this, then took her back out to the range a few days later. This time, I set up my target at 25 yards, just to get on paper. Popped a few off, made a few adjustments and I was there. After the line went cold, I took my target stand out to 50 yards and got on paper with the first two shots, then nothing. I tinkered a bit and tried some more...nothing. I had to do some afternoon work and it started pouring, so I bailed, again defeated.

The next day, I attached a Burris big bore handgun scope on the picatinny rail because I wanted to see if I could at least get on paper with a scope and see if the barrel was at least functional or not a lemon. After some tuning, I was on point at 50 yards and my best and final group had 3 touching shots. The barrel proved functional, but I wanted to come back out and punch paper at 100 yards.

I got busy AGAIN! Long story long... I had some decent groups at 100 yards with the scope, but wanted to test the stock backup sights as being efficient with backup sights is imperative to the scout concept. Again, nothing. The rear sights were loose and then I wondered if this was the issue the whole time? Thanks to my friend @Superglide, he suggested we take them off and break it down, then reassemble and re-attach them. I think that one of the screws came threaded incorrectly from the factory, causing the sights to jump around after a few shots. After some boresighting, I was on paper at 100 yards and the rear sight was holding in place.

So last week, after 2 years in the safe and then a year and a half of intermittent frustration... by the end of the day, I was getting around 2.5" groups @ 100 yards, with the stock aperture sights. SHE'S BACK!

Man, what a ride. Definitely the most trouble I have ever had with breaking in a new gun, but it was worth it...I'm finally there and building confidence! Next week, I'll be working on getting her zeroed at 250 yards and trying out the stock sights at 200 yards and if that works out well, I'll be trying for 300 and 400 yards with the stock sights. She's definitely a shooter, once I was able to commit the time to work out the kinks. I learned a lot and am looking forward to our future together....wish us luck:D

Last Edited:
Thread resurrection!!!

I own a Ruger GSR 6822. Full disclosure, purchased in 2014 and embarrassed to say that it sat in it's factory box in the safe for 2 years before I ever took her out to shoot:oops:. Not too many good places to shoot in commie Maryland.

Fast forward to 2016, I finally got her back out of the box and was going through the paces of the cleaning process before her first time out. Upon loosening the takedown screw of the mag well, I noticed that the mag well was cracked from over tightening at the factory. Called Ruger customer service and they sent me a new mag well, no problem. I got super busy with work and winter happened, so the rifle just sat around another 6 or 7 months before I got to changing out the new mag well:oops:.

Once spring rolled around(early 2017) and I started to get a little more free time, I opened her up and went to change the mag well...something wasn't right. Ruger had sent me a new mag well, but it didn't have a mag release latch on it, but was still roll pinned, lol. I couldn't believe that someone would punch a roll pin to hold nothing in. Back on the phone with Ruger CS and they sent me another mag well, no problem.

Third times a charm! Upon receiving the newest and final mag well and chomping at the bit to get her out into the field, I attached it immediately. Got her all buttered up and ready to go, then installed a Ching Sling by The Wilderness...FINALLY, she was ready!

I took her out to the range and could not get this thing boresighted (old school method)to save my life and not even hitting paper at 50 yards. Extremely frustrated and sore after hours of breaking in the barrel with cleaning, adjustments and 60 rounds. I went home cold and defeated. That evening, I spent quite a bit of time trying to get her boresighted and thought OK, I got this, then took her back out to the range a few days later. This time, I set up my target at 25 yards, just to get on paper. Popped a few off, made a few adjustments and I was there. After the line went cold, I took my target stand out to 50 yards and got on paper with the first two shots, then nothing. I tinkered a bit and tried some more...nothing. I had to do some afternoon work and it started pouring, so I bailed, again defeated.

The next day, I attached a Burris big bore handgun scope on the picatinny rail because I wanted to see if I could at least get on paper with a scope and see if the barrel was at least functional or not a lemon. After some tuning, I was on point at 50 yards and my best and final group had 3 touching shots. The barrel proved functional, but I wanted to come back out and punch paper at 100 yards.

I got busy AGAIN! Long story long... I had some decent groups at 100 yards with the scope, but wanted to test the stock backup sights as being efficient with backup sights is imperative to the scout concept. Again, nothing. The rear sights were loose and then I wondered if this was the issue the whole time? Thanks to my friend @Superglide, he suggested we take them off and break it down, then reassemble and re-attach them. I think that one of the screws came threaded incorrectly from the factory, causing the sights to jump around after a few shots. After some boresighting, I was on paper at 100 yards and the rear sight was holding in place.

So last week, after 2 years in the safe and then a year and a half of intermittent frustration... by the end of the day, I was getting around 2.5" groups @ 100 yards, with the stock aperture sights. SHE'S BACK!

Man, what a ride. Definitely the most trouble I have ever had with breaking in a new gun, but it was worth it...I'm finally there and building confidence! Next week, I'll be working on getting her zeroed at 250 yards and trying out the stock sights at 200 yards and if that works out well, I'll be trying for 300 and 400 yards with the stock sights. She's definitely a shooter, once I was able to commit the time to work out the kinks. I learned a lot and am looking forward to our future together....wish us luck:D

Nice story but I didn't have a single issue with mine. Easily a sub MOA rifle and I hated selling it.

Glad your liking it now;)

I like this design and concept very much but prefer the orignal Steyr over the porous castings of the Ruger. I built a similar designed LH Remington 700 Police At is a fine rifle. Steyr never made a LH Scout rifle........but I do have a LH manlicher carbine that I love. They were only made for a few months are are very rare. I struggle with the EER scope and mounting so prefer a conventionally mounted scope. A short carbine in 308 is tough to beat.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top