JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a new rifle. Ruger American in 30-06: $350. Put a Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA 600 3x9x40 on it: $120. Base came with it, rings were $30 and Sling was $30. Got some Federal Power-shock 180 gr ammo: $20. Total investment: $550.

Took it out to see how she shoots. Results below. Once I got it on target, I shot a 4 shot group at a 100 yards. The hole you see at the bottom was the last shot I took getting on target before the actual grouping test. I added a few clicks up and then I loaded the mag with 4 rounds, which is what it holds and did my best. The actual 4 round shot group is the 3 touching and the one to the left a little. Not great but in my defense my support consisted of a Jeep hood, a bottle of antifreeze and two folded up shirts on top of it. Yes, the bottle did scratch my hood up. If you were to put this in a real rest, I'm sure you could make all rounds touch. Oh, and yes, she does kick, but the recoil pad does a good job in absorbing the recoil. Whatever is left goes to your shoulder....obviously. After 20 rounds my shoulder was a little sore, but whatever, it's a 6.5 lb rifle. Maybe 8 lbs with a scope. The other pics are of 2 liter bottles at 350 yards. I was shooting the from on top of that hill called, Coyote Butte, located south of Bend.

I'm happy with this rifle.

ruger1.jpg

ruger2.jpg

ruger3.jpg

4.jpg

ruger5.jpg

Last Edited:
I bought a box of Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition in 180 grains. The gun shot BELOW a .7" Holly cow was I happy!!!! This is after firing 20 rounds of cheap ammo through it so the barrel was hot to say the least. I unfortunately didn't take a picture as I was going hunting that day and was in a hurry to get there before sunset. Didn't get a buck, but did see a nice fork that I passed up on. Maybe later this month I'll get lucky to see a nice big buck. The picture shows a deer crossing I was watching. That's 300-350 yards away looking through a 9x scope. It was freezing cold and the wind chilled me to my bones, but it was still better than a day at the office. :)

Here is the ammo I used. Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammo 30-06 Springfield 180 Grain Nosler

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Last Edited:
I sighted in my Ruger American in .308 the other day.

Put 4 shots of 150 grain into a 1" group at 100 yards. Two Hornady SST and 2 Remington Core Lokt. The Core Lokt were key holed. Shot from sand bag off the hood of my truck.

edited308group.jpg

Those are 1 inch rings, so hold up whatever you want to make your own measurements. The two outside ones are the Hornady and the two in the middle are the Core Lokt.

Shot after about 15 rounds with a "warm" barrel.

Put 4 shots of 150 grain into a 1" group at 100 yards. Two Hornady SST and 2 Remington Core Lokt. The Core Lokt were key holed. Shot from sand bag off the hood of my truck.

Those are 1 inch rings, so hold up whatever you want to make your own measurements. The two outside ones are the Hornady and the two in the middle are the Core Lokt.

Very nice. I think Ruger got this one right.

edited308group.jpg

As much as I like the 06 I might have to switch to the 308. The only thing that kept me away from the 308 was "bad" grouping I found online. Obviously those reports were not true.

The thing I love about the ole 30-06 is you can find the ammo anywhere and at a fair price. That core lokt ammo works like a charm and you can pick it up cheap. less that half of the price of a box of 300 win mag or 7mm. The 06 will do the job on anything out to 300+ yards with no problem

You made a good choice!

i've been trying to find a reason to *not* get a ruger american in .270 win... so far the only arguement i can have (with myself, mind) is its not a pretty gun. damn fine accuracy, all made in the US and a great price, though...

i've been trying to find a reason to *not* get a ruger american in .270 win... so far the only arguement i can have (with myself, mind) is its not a pretty gun. damn fine accuracy, all made in the US and a great price, though...

You know, "pretty" is in the eye of the beholder. To me reliability and accuracy make a gun beautiful.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top