JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no secret that I find pistol caliber carbines and submachine-guns ever so neat-o. We don't have single bolt-action in the battery, being the rifles and carbines are all semi-auto (or select-fire, once ATF approves our latest antics) or lever-action. The Ruger 77/44 looks neat. It sort of reminds me of like the little Mauser-action Destroyer carbines in 9×23㎜ Largo, only on steroids.

7401.jpg

Thoughts on this carbine? Up, down, round and round?

There was one of these in a stainless synthetic at a local shop that I wanted for a general drive around the woods/ deer brush gun but ended up getting into a marlin 1894 instead. Very much would like to shoot one of these.

I love .44 mag carbines great for deer and such, I would cut the barrel back and put a suppressor on it.
May sound stupid to some but I always wanted to have a short* bolt gun. Rifle or a pipe hitting pistol caliber.

*by US government standards. Something between 12-14".

Last Edited:
Gotta love the 77/44, Dad got the twin to the one you posted, He wanted a hard hitting mid range SHTF rifle, and that one really fit the bill nicely! AND, it's Ruger, so you know it's tough as nails, and accurate, perfect for stretching out just what the big .44 can do! All the advantages of a Mauser action, especially when things get sporty, and it hits HARD! Only one that would be better were one of these in .45 Colt, or even more power, like the .454 or even the .500 S&W! LOL

I LOVE the Ruger 77 series. That being said, and this is JUST based on your cartridge choice......I'd buy a lever action.

While I do not own one...I have a friend who does...and the rifle is very accurate and fun to shoot.
I'd get one if it was a rifle that holds any interest to you.
His wears a NECG peep sight ....
Andy

The 77/44 is a nice, quick handling carbine. I like the platform, and also have a couple of the 77/357 rifles. My 77/44 is currently undergoing transformation by Tom Denall into a Silent Destroyer. I'm really looking forward to the call notifying when the paperwork from the ATF comes back :).

Thanks all for the thoughts. After snooping around on Gunbroker, I've found they are not as bad cost-wise as thought. More like $700-ish.
You might want to find a couple of extra magazines for the Rifle. FWIW The magazines for any of the /44 series of Rifles will fit. And, they'll fit in a Speed Loader case just fine.

For a supressed 44 mag the Ruger 77 makes much sense to me vs a lever gun. This is due to the more appropriate twist rate of 1-20 which aids in stabilizing those heavy subsonic slugs. Most lever guns have a much too slow twist rate to stabilize subsonic heavies. The exception is the Henry lever in 45 colt. It has a 1-16 twist. As soon as Henry makes it with a side load gate, I will own one!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top