JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ammo is too expensive. When surplus 30 carbine was everywhere it made sense. Now the market is simpler blow back PCC's in 9mm.
The price is set by how much they make. The carbine ammo is quite pricey now compared to what it was, due to them just not making enough. If someone was able to come up with a rifle for the round that both worked and was in the right price range ammo price would soon drop. Sadly does not look like that's going to happen though. :(

Or maybe just get a mini-30, shoot 7.62 x 39 and have better ballistics. Pretty close to an M1 and a 10/22 with a different 30 cal projectile.

But they are not cheap anymore.

Last Edited:
FWIW. 30 carbine vs AR. You can guess the results but they rank the clones.

The .30 M1 carbine round, either from a carbine or handgun, was novel and made sense when surplus ammo was cheap and plentiful. In later years, the cost and availability of other rounds, including the 7.62x39, created better choices.

The .30 carbine round will have its followers forever, regardless of limited availability and increased cost. For that reason, long live the .30 Carbine !

My Dad spent a good portion of the war in the Pacific. He spoke very little of the war. One of the few things he told me, was the M1 Carbine was anemic.

I once had race gunz in 9x21 and 9x23 as well as a way too hot 38 Super.
More than once I looked over at my M1 carbine, then over to the lathe, then the reloading press, then back to the M1, then...

It was the rebuild of a lightweight commander that had totally crapped the bed that made me come to my senses. I would have needed a second steel frame and start from scratch. Anything loaded for the carbine that would actually make use of its potential would have battered the commander to death in alloy or steel. I didn't want to take the chance of mixing pistol and carbine ammunition.

Instead, I just paired the M1 with a Ruger single action in 30 carbine and called it good.

Still, the whole 30 carbine, 38 super thing still haunts me ;-)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews