JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Very interesting looking stuff. Never had seen or even heard of it before. If you follow the video it shows a company cleaning up a range that uses the crumbled up product at a backstop. Taking the bullets out of it and putting it back. The first video of the guy shooting it when it's in block form is impressive. Wonder how long the stuff lasts though before it would start to fall apart.

Some of the urban warfare "buildings" we trained in while in the army , were built from stacked tires filled with sand.
I like the "blocks" in the OP better...
Andy

I have seen projectiles bounce off tires. A friend and I went out to a public area once to see what would penetrate a tire and what wouldn't. We tried a number of different tires (yes, we removed them afterwards) and angles - tread vs. sidewall, etc. Interestingly it is not that easy to completely penetrate a tire with a handgun, especially large truck tires, especially the tread. We called it quits when we noticed some were bouncing off.

Ahhh yes another reason for the environment freaks to hate shooting no lead bullets was first now they have rubber lol haven't you heard rubber cause cancer HEHEH according to some they are freaking out all over because of soccer and football fields with fake grass with rubber from old tires in it lol

I have seen bullet traps made with rubber playground/landscape mulch, seems to work pretty well. Don't know why this would be much different. Though this interests me more than the mulch. Obviously this is for commercial applications and the playground/landscape mulch is for an affordable backyard DIY project.

Last Edited:
So I take it that the blocks are stacked double thick and staggered...if not what happens to the rounds that find their way into the seams between each block ?

So I take it that the blocks are stacked double thick and staggered...if not what happens to the rounds that find their way into the seams between each block ?
I'm guessing there not hollow so even if they hit a seam they would be deflected into solid rubber or they have some thing behind them like he just posted

Chopped up rubber chunks worked better, the lead would migrate to the bottom. We would use a rake, broom and dustpan and recover the bullets.

I am assuming the idea of the blocks is for the walls not the backstop. When I watched the video the co puts out it leads next to a range using the stuff in crumbled form as a backstop. The idea of using the blocks for the walls and even ceiling of an indoor range looks pretty damn cool. I was just damn impressed at how well it worked to absorb rounds rather than having them bounce and or ricochet.

Problem is those blocks weigh something like 90 pounds each at 24"x12"x9", according to the company they can safely contain roughly 5,500 rounds. Now that sounds like a lot, but really it isn't that many compared to how many rounds a bunch of people can fire in lets say ........ a weekend. Granted, that's per block but still 5,500 rounds isn't that much shooting really in a commercial setting. Not very economical for the regular DIY'er.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR