JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had it! No matter what range I go to, someone always takes the bench to my left and proceeds to launch brass at me or scorch my eyebrows with their SBR muzzle blast! I even got to the range early to get the far left bench and I swear to God some guy with a lefty AR15 sat on my right!

I shoot bolt actions and single shots mostly and nothing makes shooting groups harder than constant brass to the face and muzzle blast. I made a brass catch got my AR so I avoid hitting others.

So, I am building an SBR/Muzzle Brake retaliation gun. I am going to find me a nice, cheap, used Remington 700 in 300 Ultra Mag. I'll then cut the barrel to 15 inches and thread it to accept the most obnoxious brake I can find. OR, cut it at 16 and just port one side of the barrel so all blast is focused in one direction. Load up some 125gr bullets at max pressure. I'll put a BSA or Tasco cheapie scope on it for plausible deniability.

A neighboring short barreled rifle can be a PITA, for sure! I bought a Cauldwell brass catcher that sits on the bench or a tripod. I wish others would use them too!

I don't like having people right next to me no matter what they're shooting. I try to pick times when I know the range will be slow so I can try and spread out a bit. But there are always those, just like in the restroom, that will plant themselves right next to the only other person in the place, whipping out their fleshy SBR :confused:. Hard to understand the need some people have to be that close in all situations.

I hope your little project works well ;)

There are clueless people everywhere who don't have any concern for others for one reason or another, but I like the 300 WinMag SBR idea...those are terrible even in the normal config :)

I was at DRRC the other day and there were some guys who moved their bench about 20-25ft forward of the non-covered firing line and didn't seem to be even slightly concerned others were shooting behind and to their left.

I told them they were in the wrong place (nicely) but they made some excuse about how the berm to their rear forced them to shoot too high and just smiled as if to say go mind your own business. I've been a member there for 16yrs and was just trying to be safe w/o being a range nazi.

Some guys just don't get it.

There used to be a range officer at Range 15 on Ft Lewis named "George". He ran a good, loose range right up until you stopped paying attention. He would get on the PA and start barking commands in German because " Its obvious you muldoons don't understand English!"

Nothing quite like barked commands... auf Deutsch....

I had one where I'm lying prone shooting my 7mm and the next bay is doing rapid shots on his 5.56. Three bounce off my cap and go down my back, underneath my shirt. I get up screaming obscenities and dancing around like I was stung by bees. The guy notices me, watching as I pull up my shirt and out fall his casings. He could see the burn welts. "Oh, I'm so sorry..." was about all he could say.

I'm guilty of not realizing what an a-hole I was with my 338LM. Reading this board helped me realize that.

May I suggest the Surefire mb556k:D

nightshoot_zps58fa9109.jpg

Nice! I realize we are all gun owners and need to share the range and all. Its more annoying than infuriating. The other day, I counted ARs vs the other stuff. Out of 15 benches, 13 were shooting AR type rifles. If they were doing some kind of sight-in or drills, I'd understand. Most just look like they are there to make noise and chuckle. To me, that's what the gravel pit is for.

Nice! I realize we are all gun owners and need to share the range and all. Its more annoying than infuriating. The other day, I counted ARs vs the other stuff. Out of 15 benches, 13 were shooting AR type rifles. If they were doing some kind of sight-in or drills, I'd understand. Most just look like they are there to make noise and chuckle. To me, that's what the gravel pit is for.
Now come on, that type of generalization might lead one to falsely assume you to be some sort of bench rest fud with an aversion to evil looking rifles. AR15 sales have risen dramatically so it should not be too hard to believe we would see more at the range.

I sold all but one of my hunting rifles (kept the 10/22) and bought AR's.
I quit big game hunting due to my back issues and enjoy my past military days with the the M16. I use a brass catcher when not on the last right side bench. My piston AR spits the cases to the front quadrant unlike the wife's AR which ejectes them to the side.:confused:

My beef is getting pelted by the semi auto handgun shooters....

Now come on, that type of generalization might lead one to falsely assume you to be some sort of bench rest fud with an aversion to evil looking rifles. AR15 sales have risen dramatically so it should not be too hard to believe we would see more at the range.

I agree there are more ARs out there and that's great, but what is the point of going to a known distance range with benches to do anything but zero or for something productive like load work-up? I don't use bolt guns at the range after I'm zeroed and have a chosen load. After that, I'm shooting at varied distances on steel for practical purposes. Same with my ARs. I do carbine drills and such in an environment that isn't static which is more practical.

Every round I fire from the bench has a purpose and its a waste of time, money and components if you can't concentrate.

I sold all but one of my hunting rifles (kept the 10/22) and bought AR's.
I quit big game hunting due to my back issues and enjoy my past military days with the the M16. I use a brass catcher when not on the last right side bench. My piston AR spits the cases to the front quadrant unlike the wife's AR which ejectes them to the side.:confused:

My beef is getting pelted by the semi auto handgun shooters....

My local range doesn't allow pistols on the rifle ranges, so we get a little reprieve. I've learned to wear a brimmed hat to keep brass from wedging between my shooting glasses and eyelid. Ouch!

I agree there are more ARs out there and that's great, but what is the point of going to a known distance range with benches to do anything but zero or for something productive like load work-up? I don't use bolt guns at the range after I'm zeroed and have a chosen load. After that, I'm shooting at varied distances on steel for practical purposes. Same with my ARs. I do carbine drills and such in an environment that isn't static which is more practical.

Every round I fire from the bench has a purpose and its a waste of time, money and components if you can't concentrate.
I understand testing loads on the bench because that is how I dial mine in, however, what you feel is appropriate or reasonable from the bench sounds different than my point of view. I don't mind shooting the AR from the bench, or the AK for that matter. The reason I am doing it is that I fully enjoy each weapon and enjoy seeing how well I can group at 100yrds. I like the feeling of each rifle and I have been able to compare each according to it's ability. Also, sitting at the bench with the gun allows the AR/AK shooter the opportunity to work on the basics such as breathing and trigger control. I have no doubt you are fully aware of these things. However, if the shooters you described are d000shing it up and rapid firing, yeah...that gets old real fast :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top