JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I lived and breathed with a Remington Model 513T in High School competition. This was when rich suburban High Schools (and even poor urban High Schools) OWNED firearms that they allowed not only the Rifle Team to utilize, but the Rifle Club members could check out a fat-barreled Redfield-Sighted .22 and shoot it right then and there in the basement 50ft regulation range. Team Members could take their assigned rifle home for "dry fire practice" at any time they wished, and could ride home with the Remington butt on the school bus floor, muzzle to the ceiling, bolt open to their home, and back the next morning with it the same way. I was "Stranger in a Strange Land", being from Montana, but I thought this part of the deal (especially the rifle!) was pretty cool.

"Dry Fire Practice" at home was plinking and Robin/Starling control at the local holly orchard (a form of "gainful employment").

A good friend last week paid attention to my recent "Goin at it Backwards" adventure (whereby I purchased a "new old stock" rimfire scope and only then went looking for its rifle).

He offered to sell me a nice Remington 512. The action is identical to the 513T's that he and I operated with as partners on the High School Rifle Team. The Model 512 is a sporting version and tube fed (In fact called the "SportMaster" as inscribed on the barrel). These finely machined strong actions are also known as "Beehive" actions, referring to the cocking piece housing's shape (and perhaps the red "danger!" stripe on the cocking indicator coming out of that Beehive).

1688522789444.png

If I already sound like I know anything at all about these guns, I don't. I knew how to shoot a 513T enough for our team to take second at NRA regionals. Then. This is my second acquaintance with the gun, and now I'm not a 15 year-old kid. I am a bit more curious and observant.

The 512 was the 'lesser" of two my friend had, and though it obviously was complete, it had been "respectfully utilized" (feel free to use that phrase for any gun you might wish to sell), the buttplate was partially missing (we both agreed available easy), and there had been minor modification to the pistol grip arrangement. Nothing radical. More on that later. I cared less about the wood. What I saw was the action. For more than one flashback, I was On The Line.

The bolt handle is of a graceful acorn shape at its ball. If there is another bolt handle so "ergonomic" (before the word was invented), I do not know it. My Anschutz (later used in competition) didn't match it.

Gun collectors have an expression when exceptional wood is seen on a factory gun, more so with a "run of the mill" like a .22. They say, "That one got away!" This is one of those guns. A former owner modified the pistol grip to a "palm swell" of sorts (he was a shooter!). Evidence of a missing pistol grip cap shows. (These guns had none from Remington). But the wood is something I would pay for, if not die for. The stock modifications (minor) and refinishing apparently were done with the rifle attached (varnish appeared in flecks when I cleaned it). I cannot curse that Nimrod, as I was in his ranks with my first .22.

1688524013870.png

I got it home, stared at it and cleaned it, and today had a chance to turn her loose. Rummaged in my "Island of Optics Misfit Toys", and found a "like new in box" Bushnell Custom .22, 3x-7x. and it did this at 50 yards with my hunting ammo: CCI Mini-Mag HP.

1688523216650.png

My first reaction was, "This gun needs a better scope!" Then I thought, "For what"? Not now. Now it will be refinished. I wanna SEE that wood.

Last Edited:
The Remington 500 series of bolt action rifle are well worth seeking out.
Simply put...they work and shoot well.

I have a 510 and a 512...would love a 511 , 513 and a 521....
I have owed all of the above at one time or another...sold or traded off the 511 , 513 and 521.
Never dreamed that the Remington 500 series or even the Winchester 69A and 72A's would become difficult to find at a gun show or shop.

Nice rifle for sure in the OP...always good to give a old rifle a new lease on life.
Andy

I plugged Remington's "alphabet soup" stampings for manufacture date into my genuine WWII Enigma machine (actually, I just found a reference in the Remington collectors' website), and deciphered December of 1959. 512's were made from '40-'62, with a couple variations to '64.

This 512 has features not all exhibit. Parts in the guts that count (trigger, cocking piece, etc.) show vivid case coloring. The rear sight is fitted to the barrel in a conventional dovetail (most other 512's have two screws attaching it). And it is dovetailed for a scope. All (or nearly all) our School guns were not, though I've seen 513T's with the dovetail.

I have seen conversions of the 500 series to centerfire (the action IS that strong). .221 Fireball was a popular one.

My brother stepped up and bought a 513S at the local gun store when he was in High School. This was the mid-1960's, and I remember that the price was $75.00 with a Weaver 355 scope. He still has it.

This is a high-quality rifle. The fit an finish was excellent. Not quite Winchester 52S level, but very nice. The stock has nice grain and the checkering is well-done.

I had a box of target ammunition, and decided to see how well it shot off the bench at 100 yards. I shot a 3-shot group using Remington High-Speed 40 grain solid points as a warm-up. It measured 3/4", so I decided that it wasn't necessary to shoot any of the expensive ammunition to establish the rifle's potential for accuracy!

Team Members could take their assigned rifle home for "dry fire practice" at any time they wished, and could ride home with the Remington butt on the school bus floor, muzzle to the ceiling, bolt open to their home, and back the next morning with it the same way. I was "Stranger in a Strange Land", being from Montana, but I thought this part of the deal (especially the rifle!) was pretty cool.
In 1980 in wood shop we were allowed to make stocks for rifles. We'd save up and buy a barreled action and make a stock for it. We'd get to the point where the barreled action was mostly fitted into the stock, and on weekends we'd take them on the bus and work on them at home, and bring them back on the bus on Monday. Most times the driver would ask to see our progress...oh for those times again.

Where was this...in Washington. Still have the rifle.

Thank you for the post. I have a 541 I found in a gun shop in Idaho a few years ago...love it, now you got me wanting to look for other Remington 500 models.

Last Edited:
My brother stepped up and bought a 513S at the local gun store when he was in High School. This was the mid-1960's, and I remember that the price was $75.00 with a Weaver 355 scope. He still has it.

This is a high-quality rifle. The fit an finish was excellent. Not quite Winchester 52S level, but very nice. The stock has nice grain and the checkering is well-done.

I had a box of target ammunition, and decided to see how well it shot off the bench at 100 yards. I shot a 3-shot group using Remington High-Speed 40 grain solid points as a warm-up. It measured 3/4", so I decided that it wasn't necessary to shoot any of the expensive ammunition to establish the rifle's potential for accuracy!
Well done. Never miss an opportunity to retire early and undefeated. :cool:

I too used a 513T in high school for small bore competition. I stupidly sold it for money to by a sexy little Browning SA-22. I think I sold it for $100. I don't have either one anymore, but I dearly miss both of them. The 513T was the most accurate firearm I ever shot. We would use spent .22 casings with only the base showing as targets at 50 feet and hit 9/10. If I could see it I could hit it. I'd love to have one again these days, but the cost makes it unreasonable unless I was going to do competition shooting with it.

513T_-_pic1.jpg
Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-hr.jpg

I have a 512 that my dad got new for Christmas 1945. no checkering on this one and the stock has been refinished a couple of times over the years. it has never had a scope mounted to it. I probably couldn't count the # of small game it has taken over the years. I know that I have taken thousands of sage rats with it. and still functions as new. it is the top one in this picture.

guns.jpg

I have a Remington model 511 "The Scoremaster". It has a fairly heavy barrel and the receiver is not grooved for scope mounts. It has a detachable magazine. It belonged to my Grandfather and he used it on his farm. It has a notch type rear sight. I have not shot it in years, so I'll have to take it to the range one day this summer and see how it does at 50 yards.

I too used a 513T in high school for small bore competition. I stupidly sold it for money to by a sexy little Browning SA-22. I think I sold it for $100. I don't have either one anymore, but I dearly miss both of them. The 513T was the most accurate firearm I ever shot. We would use spent .22 casings with only the base showing as targets at 50 feet and hit 9/10. If I could see it I could hit it. I'd love to have one again these days, but the cost makes it unreasonable unless I was going to do competition shooting with it.

View attachment 1448216
View attachment 1448214
I had one of those brownings when I was a teenager, sure wish I would have kept it!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top