JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody have any personal experience with this weapons system? Ive been looking into doing a pistol/SBR build and came across this. I dont like the traditional AR pistol with buffer tube and started looking at other alternatives. I know a few companies make similar products but this one caught my eye. Only problem I can see at this time is that it doesnt support a can.

You have several problems.

How do you plan on adding a stock to this for an SBR?

If you are really interested in using a silencer with this you might want to read up on barrel lengths. Unless something has changed the shortest barrel I see suggested for use with a can is 10.5"

Cost.......

Lots of non standard part.

What do you mean by adding a stock? NFA paper work or parts? Under 10.5 barrel length never even crossed my mind.... Ill do some research on that.

What do you mean by adding a stock? NFA paper work or parts? Under 10.5 barrel length never even crossed my mind.... Ill do some research on that.

You said you want an SBR correct? If so to make it a Short Barreled Rifle it will need a stock correct? I have never seen a rail mount stock. If you just want a pistol then there is no problem but you said pistol/SBR which is 2 very different things.

I was not aware that SF was making a can for short barrels now. But most makers suggest 10.5" or longer barrels with cans.

Im looking to build a pistol OR a SBR from this. It depends on cost and how I feel it a few months. Should have clarified that earlier. (Havent made up my mind yet) If I dont like the pistol setup then Im gonna go SBR. There are stock systems available for this set up.

I am a huge fan of pistol AR's and many people are not familiar with the operation of the most beneficial part of a traditional AR pistol-the buffer tube. The tube itself can be manipulated by resting against the cheek or sucked up into the shoulder. You don't just hold it out in front of you like a six-shooter and go to town. When handled correctly the accuracy compared to a fully stocked AR is negligible at CQ distances. Without the buffer tube I would have no interst in an AR pistol whatsoever and if you decide you want to register it SBR you can just add a different tube to accept a Stock..

I can't figure out the adding a stock question- OP would add one same way any other AR.

The only problem I can forsee is RRA likes to pick up Old/dead/dieng ideas and hope they can make $$ on them. This platform never picked up before, though I don't know if was function issues or just cost. FWIW if I could find one that ran good and wasn't reidiculously expensive I'd pick one up to run with an Ace side folder!

silencer- RRA has warning on there to not use until regulator available. And damn again for the price, and not even looking retail, I'd pick up an LMT MRP upper and use the $$ saved on ammo.

I can't figure out the adding a stock question- OP would add one same way any other AR.

The only problem I can forsee is RRA likes to pick up Old/dead/dieng ideas and hope they can make $$ on them. This platform never picked up before, though I don't know if was function issues or just cost. FWIW if I could find one that ran good and wasn't reidiculously expensive I'd pick one up to run with an Ace side folder!

In the pic it appears that the rail is single molded piece that is integral to the lower. Is that not the case? Is it a thread in plug?

RRA picked up the http://www.zmweapons.com/ design that has been around a long time. Not sure why it never took off. It was a very cool design but the price at the time was very high. Of course Olympic Arms has the OA series that works very similar.

It does have a plug and you can add poly buffer on the inside if I recall correctly. Awesome idea, folding stock for the AR is quite nice, and even nicer as a pistol. I believe the railed piece attaches the same way instead of the folder stock. While I have no personal experience I would be very interested in hearing about the results. My only problem with it would be the lack of a sear trip with the carrier cut in half.

x040411_SI_RockRiverPDS_4978.jpg

^ Fair enough. I was under the impression it was a "non standard" lower. I stand corrected.

Well I wouldn't "stand corrected" just yet. We're both right. The rail and the stock are interchangeable, but yes it is NOT a standard lower. The receiver extension area is solid and not the standard threads found on a normal lower. A hole is drilled but just for the screw to go through.

Again, I have no experience, so this is just a regurgitation of information, mainly from Arfcom. The complete uppers with conversion kits are supposed to be out "soon." But it's been soon for quite a while now.

I supposed you could cut an adcor upper down... :s0077:

Im sorry I have to rephrase my original question, I didnt just "come across this" but know a dude that has one in pistol form. I have not shot it. I have shot other AR pistols w/buffer tubes and dont like them. The stock thing has nothing to do with parts at all. Its only a matter of whether I want a SBR or not. The idea is not dead, Oly, RRA, Kel-Tec etc have designs similar to this. If I had the money I would get a HK MP5K PDW.......but I dont. This is my next best option for a similar platform with the ammo I have readily available. I know it wont support a can and it will be costly to get the parts to do so. Im sorry for sounding like a d**k but Im looking for opinions from people out there who own or have shot this weapon. (other than a friend)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top