Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Chucks by the hundreds!!

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Angler, May 12, 2014.

1. Angler

Angler North Bend, OR Active Member

On Thursday morning the Bat Phone rang with a frantic California farmer on the line. "Please help I am overrun with rock chucks!!" My reply was "on my way"

Arrived Thursday afternoon and commenced to shooting. Weather was cool and windy which keeps the chucks out all day. I started on the hay barns with the CZ in 17HMR Here are couple of pix of the CZ and it's handiwork:
    RChaybale_zps289cdd61.jpg
    RC17hmr_zps82bfbdc2.jpg

In the afternoon I would position myself around 150 yards from a rock pile bordering an alfalfa field. Here is a pic of the work my Howa 223 is capable of:
    RCHowa_zps91259822.jpg

On Friday my Ruger 77 in 223 started crying because of neglect. Here is a picture of a happy Ruger:
    RCruger_zpsc1bee677.jpg

I would also drive around looking for chucks in the rock piles and see this:
    RCfromtruck_zpsdec9a328.jpg

I spotlighted one night for jackrabbits.
    jacks_zps65d09c30.jpg

On Sunday at noon I was eating lunch and packing to go home when I totaled the results, 189!! Well I had to try for 200 so I kept shooting and finally left at 1309 with an even 200 rock chucks!! Yep 200 rock chucks in 2 full days and two half days. The farmer was very happy.

mjbskwim, kukusya and sagerat-shooter like this.
  2. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Good shooting. Does Cali require a hunting license for varmint control?

nastybynature likes this.
  3. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Holy hell those are bigger than I thought they would be. Is any of that good eating meat? Rock chuck stew or chili sounds kind of good.

4. Angler

Angler North Bend, OR Active Member

No license needed on private land, the land owner gives you a permit.

They are very oily, but Marmot was Gengus Khan's favorite food.

5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Nice "expolose'". lol

6. Geol

Geol Eastern WA New Member

As huge as those look, they must have been eating a lot of alfalfa. No wonder the farmer is happy, he'll have more alfalfa to sell, now.

7. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle Tualatin, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nice. I didn't realize rock chucks were so big either. I have trouble with sage rats, but I might actually be able to hit one of those....naw, probably not.....but it's sure fun trying!