JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
002.JPG

I'd do it. In fact, you have motivated me TO do it.

Caveat:

Ill group each barrel with slugs and buck.

Then one tube will get the slug.

The other buck.

Ive killed 51 deer in 40 years. Six have been with slug. Many times I've kicked monsters out of their beds at spitting distance and wished I had a load of OO B available.

I hunt upland with a sxs. Two triggers no hammers. The fuller choke is the right barrel and front trigger.

I think of it as they are farther away so is the trigger. The close trigger is the opposite.

But I train with it.

If you kill a deer with a SXS please post it and PM me because I want to see it.

My tag this year is high desert EO so I'll likely not take my sxs for deer, but a 615 Willy tag, you bet.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Excuse me while I jump up on my soapbox for a minute...

When you go hunting, you are there to harvest a game animal. That means that you are going to kill that game animal. It is my firmly held belief that you owe it to your quarry to do so in as quick and pain free manner as is possible. Will a SXS do that? Sure, if you have it dialed in and can make proper shots on target. That means lots and lots of practice.
If you are going to use a shotgun, you would be far better off using a version with a single barrel and good sights. If you don't then you risk a crippled animal that may or may not expire quickly from it's wounds.
My shooting pardner has a 20 inch side by side cylinder bore that shoots slugs and round ball loads very well out to 80 yds, with either barrel. This would make a good Blacktail gun in wooded areas.Not a sniper gun by any means, but will do the job on most deer shots and do it well. The last 4 or 5 deer I've killed were under 100 yds. More like under 60 yds. I hunted at that time with a Thompson Hawken with a Green River smoothbore barrel. To lessen the knuckle ball effect, you need to up the powder chg. A Smoothbore gun like any other gun, you need to practice with that gun at different ranges, and get to know it well.

Last Edited:
Interested in possibly purchasing a side by side for deer hunting and maybe some turkeys. Looking at models with swappable chokes and just wanted to know if it's at all viable for taking deer. I know it's not ideal but the challenge is part of what I'm looking for and side by sides just have that awesome look to them!
If you opt for a SxS for deer, a lot of practice would be in order to determine how the barrels are regulated.
Single barrel (in my opinion) would be a much better choice. That would get you out to 100 yards for certain.
Best,
Gary

Pardon me for posting without reading all of the replies to the OP, but I agree, a side by side looks really cool. I had Grandpa's 12ga. Spenser Gun Co. gun with two hammers, two triggers, rounded tip on the pistol grip and a splinter forend. Overall, just a really cool gun. Life's not all roses and it turned out this was a hard gun for me to make consistent hits with. I passed it along to my nephew after I picked up a nice over/under. Now it's in the 4th generation's hands.
Addressing the "using one for deer" question, within limits I say "Yes". The last four deer I've taken were within 40 yards. I'm sure that could be done with buckshot, definitely with a slug. None of my shotguns have had anything better than a bead front sight and I think that better sights would be beneficial at anything past 40-50 yards.

Why not?

Pardon me for posting without reading all of the replies to the OP, but I agree, a side by side looks really cool. I had Grandpa's 12ga. Spenser Gun Co. gun with two hammers, two triggers, rounded tip on the pistol grip and a splinter forend. Overall, just a really cool gun. Life's not all roses and it turned out this was a hard gun for me to make consistent hits with. I passed it along to my nephew after I picked up a nice over/under. Now it's in the 4th generation's hands.
Addressing the "using one for deer" question, within limits I say "Yes". The last four deer I've taken were within 40 yards. I'm sure that could be done with buckshot, definitely with a slug. None of my shotguns have had anything better than a bead front sight and I think that better sights would be beneficial at anything past 40-50 yards.

Why not?
It does make a difference putting sights on them. Another good thing about the twice barrels, or single-shots. If your a re- loader, you can re prime the casings and make muzzle loaders out of the gun if you run out of factory loads. We quite often pop in a once fired shell with a new primer, and stuff a round ball or shot down the barrel on top of Black powder or Tripple 7. Just put some sort of wad under the shot or ball, and a card on top. We've even been known to use leaves for over powder wad. and fire away. The clean up is easy on a break barrel single shot, and it's a fun option. Any excuse to get to the woods and plink or hunt.

Interested in possibly purchasing a side by side for deer hunting and maybe some turkeys. Looking at models with swappable chokes and just wanted to know if it's at all viable for taking deer. I know it's not ideal but the challenge is part of what I'm looking for and side by sides just have that awesome look to them!
Do it I did and I'm still looking for that shot but when I get it I will love that CZ BW G2 even more. Happy hunting

Where I grew up deer hunting was a long range game. A shotgun would be worthless.
Where I live now, a long shot would be anything over 30 yards. And Buckshot would be a reasonable way to hunt.
So if your average deer is taken at under 50 yards, Id say go for it! But if you are hunting in farm land where shots are commonly across a field a rifle is a much better answer. DR

You could always go for a side by side shotgun and rifle. Or better yet a drilling. Check this one out, the line where you move the hammer to the bottom barrel is so well done you can barely even see it's there. Damned impressive craftsmanship. Of course this is a higher end version but lower end ones are not that expensive. Usually they are in European hunting calibers for the rifle though.

64989C4A-12AC-4A71-9BCE-E55DBADF13D0.jpeg

With all the talking of drillings, I wonder how the OP would feel about a combo gun?
I'm thinking a Savage 24 in .30-30 / 12 ga., or possibly .357 mag / 20 ga.
I think there was a version that was chambered .308 /12 ga., too.

With all the talking of drillings, I wonder how the OP would feel about a combo gun?
I'm thinking a Savage 24 in .30-30 / 12 ga., or possibly .357 mag / 20 ga.
I think there was a version that was chambered .308 /12 ga., too.
When I was a kid we had one. it would have been fine but any Federal land around us banned them. anywhere that had water was considered a wetland. and federal wetlands only allow shot. and specifically banned combo guns. DR

SxS?
I heard that they are highly recommended by Brandon.

Awwwww......Come On Man
That advice was for Home Defense. NOT hunting.

Is that you Brandon?

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews