JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question for those of you who have traveled to Canada:
We always have our carry weapons with us in the car as we have multi-state permits. (Just don't have California). We will be traveling, for the first time, up to Canada next month and wonder how to handle or secure at the border. Do they offer lockers at the border to store your firearms until you return?
Any other methods for dealing with the Canadian laws legally?
Thanks in advance.

Anything you do like storage would have to be done privately. Neither government is going to store your firearm for you. So you would have to find some sort of storage in the Washington town closest to where you cross over. Blaine or where ever.

Expect to get asked questions about firearms at the border if you have any kind of gun related sticker on your vehicle.

I found this while searching

Gun Storage:
Dave's Sports Shop (Washington residents only) - 1738 Front St., Lynden (360) 354-5591 www.davessports.com
Exxon Station at exit 275 in Blaine - they have one locker, you supply your own lock. (360) 332-4341

Lynden Vacuum & Cellular - 1903 Front Street, Lynden (360) 318-9948‎

Canada has strict gun regulations on the type and reason for entry (ie hunting), and would require pre-approved authorization through their layers of paperwork and beuracracy. You would also need to do the same thing (more or less) on the U.S. side coming back in with your firearm(s). If you are talking handguns (under a certain length), or any other firearm on their banned list (ie any military-style rifle... AR, AK, Galil, etc) into Canada... Forget about it.

If they EVEN THINK you may have firearms or ammo, expect to be detained and have your person, and all your property dismantled and searched... Thoroughly.

Last Edited:
Keep in mind our constitution means nothing there. It is their county, their rules. They won't make any exceptions for you being an American nor should they.

I am tired of hearing about how someone had a hard time trying to enter THEIR country, it is their county afterall they follow their own laws. You chose to go there, you didn't have to.

I have enjoyed visiting Canada in the past, but I will never visit them again the way they have treated people entering their country.

I got hassled a bit about guns in general a couple months ago. They wanted to know all about how many guns I owned, what kind of guns they were, what I used them for, and if they were ever in my wife's car - even after I repeatedly stated that I had no guns with me, and was familiar with Canadian firearms law. I was courteous at first, but once the questions got to a certain level I simply stated that it was my business and not theirs. I was let in, but your luck may vary. Someone here suggested that my wife's car tripped an explosives sniffer, but it was a long time since I used it to go to the range.

Personally, I would just leave the guns at home and go on your trip.

Canada allows you to bring long guns in, though it is a hassle. Paperwork and all.
A self defense shotgun would be allowed, if equiped with a full non collapsible buttstock.
Make sure you tell them it's for protection from BEARS.:p

Canada allows you to bring long guns in, though it is a hassle. Paperwork and all.
A self defense shotgun would be allowed, if equiped with a full non collapsible buttstock.
Make sure you tell them it's for protection from BEARS.:p

NOTE HE SAYS LONG GUNS. DON'T EVAN THINK OF TAKING A HAND GUN!!!!!!

If they EVEN THINK you may have firearms or ammo, expect to be detained and have your person all your property dismantled and searched... Thoroughly.
More like tossed on the ground and no help picking it up. I deal with transport drivers who deliver RV's to dealers in Canada and have heard all the stories - some worse than others. Some have stopped going to Canada altogether and those who do have to endure sometimes extremely invasive and demeaning 'interrogation' - or risk the search.

Yeah, they'll tear your crap apart and leave you the mess... both sides on the border will do that.

I will say, the three times (in my life) I've crossed back and forth to Canada I've never had a problem with the Canadian border control, but the last time coming back I got 20 f-ing questions from the USBP/C... "when/where was your last post port of entry to the U.S.? Where do you live? Do you have any firearmswith you? When is the last time you got laid?"(not really, but just as aggravating)

As if alllllllll that info (and more) didn't pop up on the 'puter screen when they ran my passport through the reader strip.

Yeah, they'll tear your crap apart and leave you the mess... both sides on the border will do that.

I will say, the three times (in my life) I've crossed back and forth to Canada I've never had a problem with the Canadian border control, but the last time coming back I got 20 f-ing questions from the USBP/C... "when/where was your last post port of entry to the U.S.? Where do you live? Do you have any firearmswith you? When is the last time you got laid?"(not really, but just as aggravating)

As if alllllllll that info (and more) didn't pop up on the 'puter screen when they ran my passport through the reader strip.

Had the same problem, just kept pushing me to declare something. I got searched on the way in on that trip..

Thanks all. I have no intent of taking any firearm into Canada. I have heard of their laws and views towards armed Americans. I was hoping of some storage service. What a great business start up for someone in Bellingham, Lynden or Blaine. Thanks Mark W for the possibilities.

I wonder what would happen if I showed up at the Canadian border and they noticed the gun safe between the wall and drivers seat? It's bolted to the floor and I really wouldn't want to take it out just to go up there.

I wonder what would happen if I showed up at the Canadian border and they noticed the gun safe between the wall and drivers seat? It's bolted to the floor and I really wouldn't want to take it out just to go up there.

Why do you call it a "gun safe"? Can't it be used to secure any small valuable items?

Blah blah Tapatalk2
FBHO!

Nope, it's very specifically for a hand gun. Even has an interior holster that presents the gun grip first. Only holds one gun vertically. They don't make this one anymore either.

Just tell 'em that you're a responsible gun owners, that's why you have a way to secure your firearm.

Blah blah Tapatalk2
FBHO!

Heard this from someone on this forum a while ago. A family crossing boarder they asked it he owned guns. Guy said no. They brought up record that he has ccw. Searched his whole car ect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top