JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking of doing an RV cross country trip in the US through several states and wanted to see if any of you have researched the carry and travel laws. I have a carry permit for both OR and WA and I did a bit of research on this site to familiarize myself with state concealed license reciprocity. I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit difficult to follow. Specifically in Wyoming.

We will be exploring mostly state parks and maybe 1 or 2 museum. For the parks, I will have a day pack with me and would like to keep it with me in that along with all of our provisions for the day. I would also thinking of taking a rifle or one of my full sized pistols with me in case we run into real trouble since my carry pistol is just a small 380.

Has anyone taken a similar road trip and/or is familiar with how to navigate through the concealed carrying legally? Any advice is much appreciated.

Weird. According to the the map in the above link, a standard Idaho cwp is good in florida; enhanced cwp is not.:confused:

OP, I'd take the initiative and call the states you plan to visit. Internet is full of mistakes and misnomers.

We went as far as Ohio last summer on a 6000 mile two month trip towing a 16 foot trailer house.
I too only had Oregon and Washington CC permits, both rather worthless for the event, especially Oregon's.
After much trepidation and research I finally settled on A Utah Permit as the most access to reciprocity friendly states with the only breech in confidence being a brief time cutting through lower Illinois. I survived.
I called the state DA in Utah direct, Very helpful folk sent me all the info and a list of Oregon certified (for Utah) instructors one week later. by the end of the month I had my certified class test forms, produced my own Photo's and headed to Washing County Sheriffs for certified fingerprints (picked up an extra set for future cause). Sent it all off in an envelope, and 30 days later was holding my full privilege Utah CC card. Unlike the wimpy "Piece O Crap" paper with bleeding ink Washington sells you. (nice people though)
It was just that easy, good for five years, albeit you may need to stay fresh on reciprocities.
I had already gone online for a map on the Utah web site and printed it out showing the states who accepted Utah license holders as sensible gun carrying folk so planed my trip accordingly .
Much peace of mind knowing where your up to snuff and when to be on increased alert whilst traveling the dead zones.
Plus (since I live in Oregon) I am able not to renew the Washington permit as they have reciprocity with Utah.
Although still undecided if I'll go that route since I travel much in Washington.

As for the maze of Laws I printed out for each state; I eventually gave up, decided I'll never please the one hell bent to prosecuted anyway, and if my three CC cards didn't provide me with proof I've shown due diligence, and do my best to follow the law, then so be it you got yourself a real extant terrorist here!
I brought all the printouts of state laws, but I refuse to live in fear, In my mind I had addressed the situation to my satisfaction, so never looked at the papers the whole trip.
We had an excellent time!

(A southern route may be different, but for us, only one state was out of whack. Illinois)

This will sound bad and it' not advice so don't take it as such.:D I traveled most of my adult life by vehicle, never got stopped for an infraction where they asked me if I had a gun when I traveled out of town. I did get stopped some years back about a mile from home with a burnt out tail light and the young cop said " it shows on your license that you have a ccw, are you carrying a gun?" I told him I was and he wrote me a warning to get a new bulb in the tail light.

Unless you break the law or use the gun in self defense odds are you won't have a problem. Follow the speed rules and check your vehicle at every stop and the cops won't bother you... unless of course you fit a profile.:s0140: :s0142:

".....the cops won't bother you... unless of course you fit a profile."

Just being a minority........is fitting a profile, to some cops. And of course, it's WRONG.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....When you think about it......
Your RV is your temporary home. Yet, you can't have a gun to defend yourself while you're in your own home. Mind you that, I'm NOT saying that you should do anything illegal.

As I said before.......Thank your Federal Govt.

Last Edited:
In 2013, I moved my mom out from South Carolina. I have the Oregon, Utah and Florida CCW licenses. I used the USA Carry map to check my reciprocity and had my stack-on portable security case along with me. I flew out of PDX and then drove the Uhaul cross country.

Multiple stops along the southern route without issue. I agree with Thorborg, read up on the states that you'll be visiting and print out the applicable laws if needed. Me, I'd probably book mark the pages so that I can bring them up on my phone if needed.

I am thinking of doing an RV cross country trip in the US through several states and wanted to see if any of you have researched the carry and travel laws. I have a carry permit for both OR and WA and I did a bit of research on this site to familiarize myself with state concealed license reciprocity. I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit difficult to follow. Specifically in Wyoming.

We will be exploring mostly state parks and maybe 1 or 2 museum. For the parks, I will have a day pack with me and would like to keep it with me in that along with all of our provisions for the day. I would also thinking of taking a rifle or one of my full sized pistols with me in case we run into real trouble since my carry pistol is just a small 380.

Has anyone taken a similar road trip and/or is familiar with how to navigate through the concealed carrying legally? Any advice is much appreciated.
Get a Utah one also it covers more states than any other. And only 15 bucks to renew after your first one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top