JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In case some haven't seen it done.....

Here is a one piece Burris PEPR mount that was professionally lapped by the techs at Vortex. Lapping involves using a known true straight tube and abrasives to ensure the rings/mount are truly straight and the scope is evenly supported by said mount. Even the slightest bit of it beng not "true" can dramatically affect your scope's ability to hold zero across it's available range....

IMG_3385.JPG

thats awesome. i'll bet that lap job was well worth it :D

fyi, every warne ring set or scope mount ive had has been near perfect when installing the lapping alignment tool. they make very good stuff.

thats awesome. i'll bet that lap job was well worth it :D

fyi, every warne ring set or scope mount ive had has been near perfect when installing the lapping alignment tool. they make very good stuff.

Didn't cost me a nickel. Gotta love the boys at Vortex!

Ive seen a couple pretty extreme cases of misalignment that couldn't be lapped out, mostly with cheaper two piece rings. Most higher end stuff is usually pretty good especially the one piece mounts. The Talley light weights are my go to rings on my bolt hunting rifles. Warne I piece are my favorite for my Ar's. I check and lap all my installs and never have felt the need for any thread locker products with properly aligned rings. Ymmv

I've never had much of an issue with any of my set ups, but if I were to do this I'd likely get this.

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Lapping Kit

That's the exact kit I use!
If you do get a lapping kit, I recommend a stop at your local speed shop and picking up a two part can of LockTite brand "Valve Lapping Compound" and starting out with the rough grit first and the rings slightly loose! I had a set of Leupold Twistlok rings and mount that are windage adjustable, and they were pretty bad, not something I would have expected from them, and it took about 45 min to get them lapped in properly!
Another trick is to lay a thin strip of paper in your rings before mounting a scope in a set of lapped rings. it will give them "Teeth" with out marring your scope's finish! Warne Rings usually have strips of black paper for this reason!:D

These last few years lapping kits have really caught on. I bet I've seen half a dozen rifles come in that have been lapped so much the rings would not hold the scope securely.
:s0095:

These last few years lapping kits have really caught on. I bet I've seen half a dozen rifles come in that have been lapped so much the rings would not hold the scope securely.
:s0095:
I was gonna say it never hurts to lap em but I guess it could. Ive never gone that far that they wouldn't still hold. I could see where alum rings could get bored out pretty fast. Isn't that what electricians tape is for?:D

Lapping is not only for correcting minor misalignment but it is to provide more surface area for the rings to interact with the scope. This makes the joining rock solid and also helps prevent ringing the scope. As Velzey astutely pointed out, it can be overdone, especially on aluminum rings. I usually stop around 80-90% of full contact providing alignment is good.

Last Edited:
Lapping is not only for correcting minor misalignment but it is to provide more surface area for the rings to interact with the scope. This makes the joining rock solid and also helps prevent ringing the scope. As Velzey astutely pointed out, it can be overdone, especially on aluminum rings. I usually stop around 80-90% of full contact providing alignment is good.

Do you do it on all your scopes?

There are occasions where it is just a temporary marriage of a scope and a gun where I will just quickly check alignment. If it is gtg I will fogo lapping until I deem it more permanent. On setups I know will be permanent I always lap. Also I now have a 1 peice ar mount that has been lapped with a burris scope mounted that I use as a control setup for checking new builds and when I want to scope an AR that usually has irons or other non magnified sighting systems.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads