JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question. About to mount a Leupold onto Warne rings. When I look at the inside of any rings, I see those machined lines that they say you should lap. To me those lines look like there purpose is to hold the scope tighter when tightened up. Anyone else think that?

Question. About to mount a Leupold onto Warne rings. When I look at the inside of any rings, I see those machined lines that they say you should lap. To me those lines look like there purpose is to hold the scope tighter when tightened up. Anyone else think that?
Warne actually says that their rings don't need lapping. I still lap them though.

I have a wheeler lapping kit. I lap everything, even Cheap Vortex scope to cheap Chinese UTG rings
Lapping and bedding are cheap and effective. Not to do so is just laziness

Lapping increases the rings contact surface on the scope and distributes the compression more evenly. Not only that but it also aligns the rings in a truer line. These two factors make sure that you scope isn't getting distorted by the rings making it more accurate.

YES!

Lapping in a set of rings will increase the contact area to full design spec, remove any tool marks or imperfections, and provide a solid connection between the scope tube and rings! Another trick is to take a thin piece of the old carbon copy paper and cut it into strips to mount between the tube and rings, this helps protect the scope and adds a little grip so you don't need to crank the mounting screws down so damn tight!

I used to lap all my scope rings.
Then I replaced them all with seekins and ARC rings.
You don't lap quality precision rings.
They also don't leave marks on your scope.

Even quality rings need lapped sometimes. It never hurts to at least check them. :)
Sure you can check them, but quality rings do not require lapping. If they do , they need to be returned and replaced by manufacturer.
Most of the high end ring manufacturers void the warranty if rings are lapped.

Oh my bad...we are talking about Warne rings. Yes, lap away!

Lets see, $3000+ scope on a $4500+Precision rifle, and your not lapping your rings because some one in the marketing dept says their stuff don't need it! Check! The best shooters in the world with access to the best tools and equipment LAP their rings in, EVERY SINGLE ONE of them!
1596836501153.png
And, Yes, the U.S. Military hand fits and Laps all their rifles and scopes to create the perfect union of shooting precision for the serious business!

To many variables to take in to count.

You spend 1000s on a scope, hundreds on rings.......of course you are going to spend the time to align and lap the rings. Along with properly torquing screws to specifications

Yes if we are talking Leupold mark IV scopes and Leupold rings then lapping is a necessity.

If the military is truly using the best than they would just put everything in a spuhr mount

The way that NF Beast is mounted to that goofy rail on the TRG probably does require lapping and bedding of the rail too.

Happy scope mounting everyone.
Do what makes you feel confident in your setup

Yes if we are talking Leupold mark IV scopes and Leupold rings then lapping is a necessity.

If the military is truly using the best than they would just put everything in a spuhr mount

The way that NF Beast is mounted to that goofy rail on the TRG probably does require lapping and bedding of the rail too.

Happy scope mounting everyone.
Do what makes you feel confident in your setup
THAT "Goofy Mount" on my TRG as you call it, is a Cold Shot Precision Mounting System, it's design make's it possible to dial in the needed extreme range requirements beyond a fixed -20 MOA rail mount! And yes, every thing on this rifle is hand fitted and lapped for a precision fit, and it's shooting performance stretches the cartridges limits to the extreme! :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top