JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Got my hands on a Ruger American Rimfire 16" finally.

I'm looking for your input and experience with various Rimfire optics.

I'm currently leaning towards either a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 or a Primary Arms fixed 6x with their ACSS 22lr reticle.

Is there anything else I should consider? I'm not necessarily sold on a reticle per say, mostly looking for very clear glass, and something light weight. So if there is a higher end low magnification Leupold or similar out there you have on your rimfire, please share your experiences and such.

Thanks for the input!

Reno911

The ACSS reticle is a nice one.

I have a Vortex Viper VST 1-4x24 on my M&P 15-22 and I mounted a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 with the dead hold BDC on the wife's 15-22. Both work great on those rimfire rifles. I especially like the TMCQ MOA reticle in the PST.

Good luck with your choice.

If you want to look through either or both of the scopes I can arrange that.

I put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40 on my Ruger and have been very happy with it. Clear glass and I like the BDC feature in the reticle. I had considered the 4-12X40 but thought it would look too long and be cumbersome on a small rifle.

I should add that with my eyes, I do have a hard time seeing the BDC in low light. But works great in the daylight.

For what its worth...a lower cost scope with features I like for rimfire.
upload_2018-4-11_13-21-2.png

I like to have an adjustable objective down to 10 yards on my .22lrs. 2-7 or 4-12 at most , power for all around or higher for benching. I have a Bushnell ar22 2-7 and it's been good. Just a bit heavy but has side focus and hold over. I also use a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12 with ao and a Swift 3-9 with parallax adjustment. Parallex adjustment is also handy as a range finder.

I also have the Nikon pro staff 3-9x40 rimfire. Rimfire version each turret click is 1/8 moa vs 1/4 per click on standard. I like the bdc reticle on it and it's clear. I actually have it on my .308 right now, works great.

I just went cheap on a scope for my .300WM and it's currently on its way back to Athlon, so at this time I'd reccomend against those.

I ended up going with the Primary Arms. I'm very happy with it. I was concerned about it at the price and wasn't sure if I would like the fixed 6x.

I actually really like the fixed power. The reticle is awesome to boot.

Quickly zeroed at 50 yards, only a bit low out of the box.

Shooting 50 yards is very intuitive with the horseshoe reticle and dot. The range estimations worked perfectly as I was hitting steel targets at 100, 150, and 220 yards using the designated hold overs.

This is quickly becoming one of my new favorites.

I only wish I can find more of this Remington Match EPS ammo. It was crazy accurate in a 10-22 that I sold, and is stupid good in this rifle too. Mini mags did great too. 10 shots in a 1" with one flier.

67ABBDD9-FA5D-4DCC-92E1-658CFF2900A8.jpeg E3269BF0-8A2D-4DF4-BF1A-C131C528EF7B.jpeg 6791836E-33D9-47EC-A584-750435C9C595.jpeg 7257EFB1-3B6D-4385-8F26-99ECFFF1E709.jpeg

I think they have some at my local Sportsman's... if they do I can grab it for you.
That would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this box at Sportsmans Hillsboro way back when. I haven't seen it in there since.

Wasn't cheap either.

I've been amazed by it's accuracy.

That would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this box at Sportsmans Hillsboro way back when. I haven't seen it in there since.

Wasn't cheap either.

I've been amazed by it's accuracy.
They still have few...
Wow you ain't kidding! $19.99 per 50.
They have a few that look similar called the club for $13.99
381FD7A9-CB06-47D7-B4FD-AF9FB97B8D25.jpeg

As experiment I mounted P223 3x30 fix power compact on my Ruger break down 10/22. Great glass & package for the limited use I have had so far.
Last formal target @ 50 yards was X-ring hole thumb size for 25 rounds.

For me a scope is a scope, a scope marketed as "rimfire" is usually of poor quality and durability. Buy the best you can afford. A Leopold vx1 is a good choice, as stated previously.

I've got a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on my FVSR that came with different elevation turrets for 36 and 40 grain bullets. It's actually quite nice for a <$100 scope.
5023D08E-51CB-4B55-9E8D-57663FFB1794.jpeg

I've got a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on my FVSR that came with different elevation turrets for 36 and 40 grain bullets. It's actually quite nice for a <$100 scope.
View attachment 458016
I had a BSA Sweet 22 on my bull barrel 10-22. Absolutely a great scope. It was heavy though, but it was on a heavy gun so I didn't mind.

C69CE60F-47C2-47B0-B763-D5064697DA4F.jpeg

I just got back from a couple days of Rat killing and used scopes, 5-20, 8.5-25, 4-14 etc. All these scopes have an adjustable objective and make finding targets at distance possible and deadly. Your 3-7, 3-9 etc would have worked, but poorly in this situation. These scopes are available for rimfire for not a lot of money. They also are nice for killing flies that land on your target at 50yds, or beer cans.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews