JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Got my hands on a Ruger American Rimfire 16" finally.

I'm looking for your input and experience with various Rimfire optics.

I'm currently leaning towards either a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 or a Primary Arms fixed 6x with their ACSS 22lr reticle.

Is there anything else I should consider? I'm not necessarily sold on a reticle per say, mostly looking for very clear glass, and something light weight. So if there is a higher end low magnification Leupold or similar out there you have on your rimfire, please share your experiences and such.

Thanks for the input!

Reno911

The ACSS reticle is a nice one.

I have a Vortex Viper VST 1-4x24 on my M&P 15-22 and I mounted a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 with the dead hold BDC on the wife's 15-22. Both work great on those rimfire rifles. I especially like the TMCQ MOA reticle in the PST.

Good luck with your choice.

If you want to look through either or both of the scopes I can arrange that.

I put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40 on my Ruger and have been very happy with it. Clear glass and I like the BDC feature in the reticle. I had considered the 4-12X40 but thought it would look too long and be cumbersome on a small rifle.

I should add that with my eyes, I do have a hard time seeing the BDC in low light. But works great in the daylight.

For what its worth...a lower cost scope with features I like for rimfire.
upload_2018-4-11_13-21-2.png

I like to have an adjustable objective down to 10 yards on my .22lrs. 2-7 or 4-12 at most , power for all around or higher for benching. I have a Bushnell ar22 2-7 and it's been good. Just a bit heavy but has side focus and hold over. I also use a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12 with ao and a Swift 3-9 with parallax adjustment. Parallex adjustment is also handy as a range finder.

I also have the Nikon pro staff 3-9x40 rimfire. Rimfire version each turret click is 1/8 moa vs 1/4 per click on standard. I like the bdc reticle on it and it's clear. I actually have it on my .308 right now, works great.

I just went cheap on a scope for my .300WM and it's currently on its way back to Athlon, so at this time I'd reccomend against those.

I ended up going with the Primary Arms. I'm very happy with it. I was concerned about it at the price and wasn't sure if I would like the fixed 6x.

I actually really like the fixed power. The reticle is awesome to boot.

Quickly zeroed at 50 yards, only a bit low out of the box.

Shooting 50 yards is very intuitive with the horseshoe reticle and dot. The range estimations worked perfectly as I was hitting steel targets at 100, 150, and 220 yards using the designated hold overs.

This is quickly becoming one of my new favorites.

I only wish I can find more of this Remington Match EPS ammo. It was crazy accurate in a 10-22 that I sold, and is stupid good in this rifle too. Mini mags did great too. 10 shots in a 1" with one flier.

67ABBDD9-FA5D-4DCC-92E1-658CFF2900A8.jpeg E3269BF0-8A2D-4DF4-BF1A-C131C528EF7B.jpeg 6791836E-33D9-47EC-A584-750435C9C595.jpeg 7257EFB1-3B6D-4385-8F26-99ECFFF1E709.jpeg

I think they have some at my local Sportsman's... if they do I can grab it for you.
That would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this box at Sportsmans Hillsboro way back when. I haven't seen it in there since.

Wasn't cheap either.

I've been amazed by it's accuracy.

That would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this box at Sportsmans Hillsboro way back when. I haven't seen it in there since.

Wasn't cheap either.

I've been amazed by it's accuracy.
They still have few...
Wow you ain't kidding! $19.99 per 50.
They have a few that look similar called the club for $13.99
381FD7A9-CB06-47D7-B4FD-AF9FB97B8D25.jpeg

As experiment I mounted P223 3x30 fix power compact on my Ruger break down 10/22. Great glass & package for the limited use I have had so far.
Last formal target @ 50 yards was X-ring hole thumb size for 25 rounds.

For me a scope is a scope, a scope marketed as "rimfire" is usually of poor quality and durability. Buy the best you can afford. A Leopold vx1 is a good choice, as stated previously.

I've got a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on my FVSR that came with different elevation turrets for 36 and 40 grain bullets. It's actually quite nice for a <$100 scope.
5023D08E-51CB-4B55-9E8D-57663FFB1794.jpeg

I've got a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on my FVSR that came with different elevation turrets for 36 and 40 grain bullets. It's actually quite nice for a <$100 scope.
View attachment 458016
I had a BSA Sweet 22 on my bull barrel 10-22. Absolutely a great scope. It was heavy though, but it was on a heavy gun so I didn't mind.

C69CE60F-47C2-47B0-B763-D5064697DA4F.jpeg

I just got back from a couple days of Rat killing and used scopes, 5-20, 8.5-25, 4-14 etc. All these scopes have an adjustable objective and make finding targets at distance possible and deadly. Your 3-7, 3-9 etc would have worked, but poorly in this situation. These scopes are available for rimfire for not a lot of money. They also are nice for killing flies that land on your target at 50yds, or beer cans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top