JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to be experimenting with numerous nail gun blanks in different calibers, different firearms and with different loading styles and uses. I am starting this thread to be a catch-all spot for my nail gun blank projects and results. Some will think this is nutty and won't work worth a darn but many others have had success including JRB (see his video below). If you have tried this please share any tips or tricks. First attempts at this will be around first part of August.

Sincerely Danger Dave aka arakboss:)

This guy had success in revolver too.

Last Edited:
Another interesting use for blanks. I have arrows, I bet a 12ga with modified chamber adapter could be used to fire arrows. Remove notch from arrows, drill muzzle side of chamber adapter to fit arrow shaft and use a blank to fire it.

Firearms projects can be a real rabbit hole.

Most of the nail gun blank shooting videos I have watched are shooters using light for caliber lead pellets. I see no reason why standard fmj projectiles couldn't be used. If overpressure was a concern, the fmj bullets could be sized down a little so that some pressure could escape past the bullet reducing pressures. I have a bunch of light for caliber .224 bullets that I want to try with blanks. I will intially try front stuffing them a few inches down from the muzzle. If pressures don't seem out of control, I will seat the bullets a little deeper.

What are overpressure signs to look for with rimfire cases?

Hoping other signs show up before this happens.

1658259603870.png

Last Edited:
Another interesting use for blanks. I have arrows, I bet a 12ga with modified chamber adapter could be used to fire arrows. Remove notch from arrows, drill muzzle side of chamber adapter to fit arrow shaft and use a blank to fire it.

Firearms projects can be a real rabbit hole.

Have you ever thought about rocket propelling a arrow? Use a charge to get her going "up to speed" then a second stage "booster" to light the arrow after a moment and continue to accelerate once in flight?
I've been thinking about this for a while now. As well as just the basic powder charge method you mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing this thread mature. I really want to see this go well. Ie. Specific cast slugs etc.

Have you ever thought about rocket propelling a arrow? Use a charge to get her going "up to speed" then a second stage "booster" to light the arrow after a moment and continue to accelerate once in flight?
I've been thinking about this for a while now. As well as just the basic powder charge method you mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing this thread mature. I really want to see this go well. Ie. Specific cast slugs etc.
As for cast projectiles propelled by blanks that has been done lots. I would like to expand the horizons on what these blanks can do. In 17WSM and 22WMR firearms it could be more economical to use the blanks and a separate projectile. The concern will be finding a projectile and blank combination that won't blow up the gun.

Have you ever looked into home made fireworks? Specifically the rocket style fire works?
It would be effing cool to make the mandrels and tooling to hold the arrow and pack it (or rather press it) into the arrow shaft and figure out a way to ignite it delayed. I think it could be possible. The hard part would be the shaped charge in the tip!

Most of the nail gun blank shooting videos I have watched are shooters using light for caliber lead pellets. I see no reason why standard fmj projectiles couldn't be used. If overpressure was a concern, the fmj bullets could be sized down a little so that some pressure could escape past the bullet reducing pressures. I have a bunch of light for caliber .224 bullets that I want to try with blanks. I will intially try front stuffing them a few inches down from the muzzle. If pressures don't seem out of control, I will seat the bullets a little deeper.

What are overpressure signs to look for with rimfire cases?

Hoping other signs show up before this happens.

View attachment 1242865
Speaking of ruptured cases this guy found that 36gr and Green power level blanks did not get along in his rifle. He breech loaded the 36gr pulls and loaded them just into the rifling. Those 36gr pills were really zinging.

I am wondering if he had pushed the bullet further up the barrel if he could have reduced pressures and prevented the case from rupturing?

I will start with Brown power level blanks to reduce the chances of case ruptures.

Revolvers might be better suited for these blanks as some pressure could be bled off.

Same youtuber had better success with 22 pellets.

And same guy shooting roundball with blanks.

Last Edited:
I am going to be experimenting with numerous nail gun blanks in different calibers, different firearms and with different loading styles and uses. I am starting this thread to be a catch-all spot for my nail gun blank projects and results. Some will think this is nutty and won't work worth a darn but many others have had success including JRB (see his video below). If you have tried this please share any tips or tricks. First attempts at this will be around first part of August.

Sincerely Danger Dave aka arakboss:)

This guy had success in revolver too.

Holly crap! Johnny scared me, when he started talking and I was immediately like wait... Who's voice is that? I know this but who is this? Oh...... Commence brain flip flop! I think I've only seen his face briefly in passing.

Thanks for posting. I've only ever seen the tao...."achoo" videos doing this.

Holly crap! Johnny scared me, when he started talking and I was immediately like wait... Who's voice is that? I know this but who is this? Oh...... Commence brain flip flop! I think I've only seen his face briefly in passing.

Thanks for posting. I've only ever seen the tao...."achoo" videos doing this.
He doesn't like his face being on camera, this was out of the norm for him.

You also might try moly coating your bullets if you get these high pressure signs and ruptured cases hamonrye was having. Moly will decrease the fps its so slick. At least that's what reports are. Also you might try hand loading the seeds further out that should lower the pressure curve a tad giving it more room to expand.
It would also be kinda cool to see this with a 17hmr chamber with nail gun blanks and .177 pellets.
Me personally Id like to custom make a rifle specifically for this. I have a spare .22 barrel blank but its kinda short. I also bought a Russian Baikal pellet gun that has a cold hammer forged barrel and poly rifling like a glock years ago (maybe 10 years ago now) to maybe one day donate the barrel to a project like this.

You also might try moly coating your bullets if you get these high pressure signs and ruptured cases hamonrye was having. Moly will decrease the fps its so slick. At least that's what reports are. Also you might try hand loading the seeds further out that should lower the pressure curve a tad giving it more room to expand.
It would also be kinda cool to see this with a 17hmr chamber with nail gun blanks and .177 pellets.
Me personally Id like to custom make a rifle specifically for this. I have a spare .22 barrel blank but its kinda short. I also bought a Russian Baikal pellet gun that has a cold hammer forged barrel and poly rifling like a glock years ago (maybe 10 years ago now) to maybe one day donate the barrel to a project like this.
I have a cheapy Savage 17WSM that may be able to use 27cal blanks. Supposedly the 27cal blanks are based off of the 17WSM case. I think powder coating the pellets would give them the added lubricity you mentioned and allow them to hold together better, prevent leading etc. Modifying some lightweight fmjs to further reduce weight would be another option.

I will pay retail for a 100ct box of 22, 25 and 27cal blanks to test out the ideas. Unless I can get great deals on previously owned blanks, it won't be worth the hassle.

I was*nt talking about powder coating them at those speeds I'm not sure if that will help. It might melt? Moly powder or dry lube which is moly powder in alcohol based to evaporate leaving the moly coating in a nice thin layer is what I was suggesting it is safe at all speeds and all temps.
Just another tool in your tool bag.

Edit: was/wasn't

Last Edited:
For an overview of the problem of the "home made" guns/hunting in Taiwan.....Start at 03:27
At 09:00 he has close up views of his home made rifle.
At 10:55 he explains the crude ammo (nail blanks) situation.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......In NO WAY do I recommend this. To ANYONE here.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR