JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is a good bolt action rifle(308) without breaking the bank? I was thinking of getting the r700 police model, but I think I don't need one that expensive just yet. At the max I would like to spend around $3-500 for the rifle. Also what scope would you recommend? I'm looking at the millett trs-1 or the super sniper or something in that price range.

I've been looking at the rifle/scope combos at bi-mart, big 5, fred meyers you know the one in the $300+ range are they any good? Why so cheap?

Cabelas has/had some Weatherby Vanguards on sale for under $300 bucks in Springfield. They were closing them out because of the new Vanguard MOA model they offer. I saw a .308 a couple weeks ago. Could be worth a phone call. The new Vanguard MOA models are still a great deal and Bi-Mart has them for just over $400 bucks. The Ruger American is something to consider in your price range, and so are the models from Savage. Don't dimiss buying a used rifle off this website. Rifles don't seem to hold their value like pistols, so you can find some really good deals.

I would stay away from cheap scopes. Get at least a Leupold VX-II or Nikon Monarch. The recoil of a .308 is going to be enough that a cheap scope will fail at the worst possible time.

Why so cheap? Because they are. The rifles might be okay, but the scope is going to be some cheap Chinese made POS.

Cabelas has/had some Weatherby Vanguards on sale for under $300 bucks in Springfield. They were closing them out because of the new Vanguard MOA model they offer. I saw a .308 a couple weeks ago. Could be worth a phone call. The new Vanguard MOA models are still a great deal and Bi-Mart has them for just over $400 bucks. The Ruger American is something to consider in your price range, and so are the models from Savage. Don't dimiss buying a used rifle off this website. Rifles don't seem to hold their value like pistols, so you can find some really good deals.

And don't forget that the Howa 1500 or the S&W 1500 are the same rifle as the Weatherby Vanguard, and just as accurate.

So, what is your goal for the rifle? Hunting or target shooting? What ranges are you looking to shoot with it? Looking to hike with it, or just stay in place?

All of those contribute to a good fit.

So, what is your goal for the rifle? Hunting or target shooting? What ranges are you looking to shoot with it? Looking to hike with it, or just stay in place?

All of those contribute to a good fit.

Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it. I got to handle the ruger american rifle and it looks ok, but the trigger is a little weird:huh: but the price is where I want to be. I have no purpose for this rifle as of now, just trying it out(thats why I didn't want to spend soo much) because I don't own a bolt action rifle. I like my semi autos.

You would be better off buying a scope and rings that will last Nikon/Leupold and if you could afford it Tikka T3's are sweet shooting rifles.

Agreed. This is my Tikka T3 with Leupold VX-3 scope, rings, and covers. Not in your price range though. I'd save up and buy when you have the dough.

Rifles008.jpg

This is an .06 model, however, it has absolutely the smoothest throw of any bolt rifle I tried, and the trigger is the lightest of all my rifles with an amazingly clean break.

Howa or a basic Rem 700 will keep you in budget and lots of potential to upgrade. Don't go to cheap on the glass they are all correct a .308 with beat up a cheap scope. Cabelas has some nice scopes that won't break the bank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top