JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend has an old school Winchester 243 Bolt action.

It has an odd Scope " Hurricane" ...is all it says.

Shoots fine
BUT
There is No way to adjust the scope.
No Turrets

How was this done??

Looks to be Weaver Mounts.......There are 2 seperate mounts on Receiver F/R

Mounts do not look adjustable.

How is it possible to "adjust " the cross hairs.

I Find Nothing on the internet.....This is likely 50's -60's Vintage +-.

Quite curious if theres an answer from the Hive??????????????????

Adjustable mounts were common then. Many different styles.

And sometimes the scope used non-adjustable bases and shims were used.

No "dialing" allowed! :)

Photos might help answer the question.

Bruce

I had a Hurricane scope on a Parker Hale .270 years ago, but it must have been a newer model, as it had conventional turrets/adjustments. Looked like this:

I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of those mounts. Here's Leupold's version of adjustable mounts ("Adjusto mount") from the '50's (in this case, mounted on a Mannlicher, with a 2.5x Weaver: conventional turret adjustment). This mount operates on cone screws, much as a Conetrol or S & K, and Leupold's early scopes like the Pioneer had no internal adjustments.

In a scenario like this, a fully adjustable mount allows for better centering of the reticle within in the travel range of the scope's adjustments (for a better quality of sight picture).

1676561386824.jpeg

It was common then to use adjustable mounts with an adjustable scope. Early scopes had a moving reticle in the view. It could end up way off center. Later scopes used a moving image, with constantly centered reticle. This was a big advertising feature until it became normal for all scopes.

Bruce

I had a Hurricane scope on a Parker Hale .270 years ago, but it must have been a newer model, as it had conventional turrets/adjustments. Looked like this:

I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of those mounts. Here's Leupold's version of adjustable mounts ("Adjusto mount") from the '50's (in this case, mounted on a Mannlicher, with a 2.5x Weaver: conventional turret adjustment). This mount operates on cone screws, much as a Conetrol or S & K, and Leupold's early scopes like the Pioneer had no internal adjustments.

In a scenario like this, a fully adjustable mount allows for better centering of the reticle within in the travel range of the scope's adjustments (for a better quality of sight picture).

View attachment 1366588
Were in the same town.

I looked over the mounts for a whille......No slotted holes in the Base to Receiver.

No screws on the side of mounts like Luepold bases from back in the day.

I i'll try and grab a pic of this as its one of those "How did they..." questions.

No other verbage on the scope we could find........Almost wanted to pull it off to have a better look but..Its close where its at so ..Leave it alone.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews