JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My go-to hunting rifle for the last forever is a tang safety Ruger 77 30-06. Good
solid acceptably accurate rifle, bedded into a Bell and Carlson stock.
Current glass is a 30 or so year old Redfield Widefield 3-9. Big old scope, and I'm
sure the optics were state of the art way back when--but time for an upgrade.
Would like to stay with the Ruger rings. 4.25" centers, 1" tube and I can not quite
clear a 50mm objective.
Let's just say $600 tops and see where it goes----
Looking at the Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36---but with all the offerings from Althon, Vortex etc.
I am certainly open to suggestion. What say you?

Looking at the Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36---but with all the offerings from Althon, Vortex etc.
I do not know about Althon, but I would not choose a Vortex over a Leupold and Ive hunted with both brands. My only two hunting rifles are also 20-30ish years old now and both topped with newer Leuoplds.
As far as the Leupold your looking at I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and move on. Their CDS dials work, if there is a feature to pay a bit more for I love their firedot reticles in low light conditions.

SWFA 2.5-10x32
9.5 oz
$350
Made in Japan.

If there is nothing wrong with the scope leave it sometimes you spend money and it ends up causing you more problems lol. I have a 1960's rifle with a $60 scope on it yea it looks old but shoots lights so left it alone .

I had that very scope on a 30-06 and rather liked it, however while the clarity was excellent on mine the light transmission was wanting.
My 70's Ruger M77 in .270 was given a Leupold 2.5 X 8 veri- x3 gold ring and never had a better hunting scope, worked better than the 3-9 in low light too!
Having now two "modern" ones put on my new hunters, both Leupold's, That old 2.5-8 still held its own. I'm sorry to have let it go with the 270 I sold recently but the new is nice, though I still lament not being able to get them gloss black.
To be sure others may fit the Bill, but Ruger is worth looking at. :rolleyes:

Vortex has failed me.

I would stick to the old Redfield unless I wanted to reach out past 300 yards. Then I would upgrade to a B&C drop reticle in a Leupold, if they still offer it. Unfortunately, long range fad has phased out good drop reticles in off the shelf scopes.

I have a Leupold CDS. It is good for target shooting but just something to screw up with hunting. They also put too busy MOA hash marks on the reticle.

I'd go with a Leupold on a nice older hunting rifle. The newer ones have a level of class that other tactical models don't.

Used to like Burris, when Don Burris was still there. Now that it is Beretta-Burris, not so much. Bought some Burris Ruger 77 mounts that would not seat on the action due to a machining error. "Too bad" I was told.

Go local. Go Leupold.

Maybe a little over kill but the older Nikon pre Monarchs are super clear. The 50mm lets in a ton of light for dark forrests. You can find them in gloss and look really nice on the Rugers.

20220210_213050.jpg

A fellow shooter has a SWFA x12 scope - built like a brick outhouse, incredible optics and with an easy-use parallax/focusing ring. Astounding value for money by any standards. There is a choice magnifications, too, from x10 up to x16 - could be wrong about that though.

Another shooter, having read the write-up on sniper's hide forum, bought one when he was stateside taking part in the international .50cal comps a few years back, and put it on his Fortmeier .50cal rifle. Still there, last time I looked - it IS guaranteed to be .50cal proof.

Not well known but you might take a look at Blackhound Optics, especially if you can get one from their Genesis line. I have their 6-24x50 and their 4-14x44, both in MOA and first focal plain. I'm really liking them but not a lot of folks have heard of the brand.

Blackhound used to be in Lawrenceville, Georgia, but have since moved to Tucson, Arizona and though keeping the name, they changed their logo too. I don't know what that was all about, but I do like their product.
Also, when you buy the scope, it comes with rings, a hood, and mounting levels. Great Deal!!

My go-to hunting rifle for the last forever is a tang safety Ruger 77 30-06. Good
solid acceptably accurate rifle, bedded into a Bell and Carlson stock.
Current glass is a 30 or so year old Redfield Widefield 3-9. Big old scope, and I'm
sure the optics were state of the art way back when--but time for an upgrade.
Would like to stay with the Ruger rings. 4.25" centers, 1" tube and I can not quite
clear a 50mm objective.
Let's just say $600 tops and see where it goes----
Vortex Diamondback
1" tube
40mm Objective
3-9X
$340

If you can bump your budget up a couple hundred dollars there's a wide selection in the more expensive models, like the Viper line. There's a filter on the Vortex web page where you can search by tube and objective size, as well as desired magnification. Their lifetime, no questions asked, transferrable warranty cannot be beat.

There are some 30mm Ruger rings for sale in the classifieds. Opens up a lot of scope options for you. Hard to go wrong with Leupold for the classic black gloss look and the glass is always excellent. I think Vortex is a fine choice, as is Athlon, the most underrated underpriced scope for outstanding optical clarity. If you shoot supported, by all means go for 16x. You can always dial down, but it's nice to have the option for a long poke. Whatever scope you get, consider lapping your Ruger rings… they are notoriously harsh on scope finish. My Vortex still has the scars to prove it.

Maybe a little over kill but the older Nikon pre Monarchs are super clear. The 50mm lets in a ton of light for dark forrests. You can find them in gloss and look really nice on the Rugers.

View attachment 1281333
My 20th century Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20 is very clear. Not an ideal magnification range for the OP's rifle but an example of quality lenses.
Older Zeiss Diavari in 3-9 and Swarovski 4-12 Habicht are also good deals for quality glass.

For new scopes, I have had stellar success with Sightron.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top